Skip to main content

Solid state 6 volt radio vibrator with 5 pins wanted

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
30 Jan 2019 02:37 #36570 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Solid state 6 volt radio vibrator with 5 pins wanted
"EUREKA" he cried. PeKoRadio have a solid state board that can be fitted inside your original vibrator can. The cost is $39 US plus tax and postage.
Directions are supplied how to wire up the new item and fit it securely in the case.
An effective solution at a reasonable price .......................... you can't get better than that! Actually you can by sending your old vibrator to PeKoRadio and they will do the job for you again at a reasonable price.
Mark, thanks again for the contact.

T cockerell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
29 Jan 2019 10:07 #36566 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Solid state 6 volt radio vibrator with 5 pins wanted
Hi Mark, thanks for your detailed reply. Hopefully these sites will lead to a solution.
Regards,
Terry Cockerell
President ACD Club, Australasia.

T cockerell

More
29 Jan 2019 06:32 #36565 by 5-ht
You might try this company for a solid state replacement:
www.royalsignals.org.uk/vibs/
or another possibility:
www.tech-retro.com/Aurora_Design/Accessories.html
Yet another source: radio.pekorf.com/PeKoRadioOrder.html
These folks say they can retrofit their solid state vibrator into youroriginal shell although it appears rather pricy. If you are handy with electromechanical tasks you could certainly do it yourself.
Antique Automotive Radio ( www.radiosforoldcars.com/vibrators.htm )
used to make a plugin solid state replacement for a 5-pin synchronous positive ground 6V vibrator, it was their part number 1331-P, but I'm pretty sure they stopped making this model some time ago.
Good luck with this!
Mark

More
26 Jan 2019 04:41 #36548 by 5-ht
Back in the day, these were listed as suitable direct replacement synchronous vibrators for the Crosley A-255:
Mallory 273C
ATR 508
Cornell-Dublier 5425
Delco 8621
James J-54
Meissner 704
Radiart 5425
Turner T-54
Utah SP-51
Vokar SP-51-V
Might find some NOS on eBay. Of course even being "NOS" won't guarantee it will work after all this time.
Mark

• pete kelly
  • Registered
More
24 Jan 2019 14:24 #36538 by pete kelly
J K Howell used to put a high voltage across the points to unstick; I never asked him how high.
Pete

More
24 Jan 2019 14:19 #36537 by C.R.D.
If you are lucky with the car running on a fast idle flipping the on and off switch rapidly several time will unstick the points. If that doesn't work you can sometimes salvage your old vibrator by removing the cover and filing the points.

• pete kelly
  • Registered
More
24 Jan 2019 03:02 #36536 by pete kelly
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationCheck out ebay for NOS vibrator NOT SOLID STATE
MY MEMORY SAYS THIS IS THE CORRECT NUMBER

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
24 Jan 2019 02:06 #36535 by 1748 S
Terry someone in the recent past supplied a you tube video about how to re fabricate these parts by using some heat to melt the bees wax and a new capasiter. Sadly I don't remember more. It appears very simple job. I also will be watching
I may have some new old stop here somewhere. I remember purchasing "something in bulk" for our radios. Time to start digging.

Gary Parsons

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
24 Jan 2019 01:58 #36533 by Terry Cockerell
I am trying to find a supplier of Solid State 6 Volt radio vibrators with 5 pins to suit a Crosley Model A - 255 sedan radio.
Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

T cockerell