Skip to main content

Gear Selector Switch Wiring

• wynlaidig
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
12 May 2020 22:34 #40164 by wynlaidig
Replied by wynlaidig on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
JKH drew up the wire guard that fits into the selector arm behind the switch to keep the wires in order. The originals were thin bakelite and often broke. But they should be easy to make, and keep the wires aligned inside the arm. He didn't specify the diameter. I think I have a broken one somewhere that I can measure if need be. See attached file.

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
12 May 2020 21:29 #40161 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring

JIM.OBRIEN wrote: That's a repop not an original.

Jim are you telling us this switch is a repop or the diagram is a repop? I had to ask to be clear. I'm not understanding what you are referencing the repop to...I will have to look at my original switch to see if I can determine the differences.

Gary Parsons

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
12 May 2020 17:08 #40157 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
Yes, Pat Leahy - and he actually drives his cars too

JMM

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
12 May 2020 12:19 #40155 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
That's a repop not an original.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
12 May 2020 02:57 #40153 by 1748 S
I found this in my files today. Its surprising how these selector switches are made. Enjoy.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: alsancle

More
10 May 2020 15:34 #40141 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring

JIM.OBRIEN wrote: If the problem is the interlock switch on the cross shift change it out to a modern micro switches. They are a lot easier to set up. Pat Leahy has them.

Thanks. I saw that and sent him a PM yesterday. I'll buy one regardless. It looks like our car already has a non original replacement of some sort.

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
10 May 2020 15:15 #40140 by JIM.OBRIEN
If the problem is the interlock switch on the cross shift change it out to a modern micro switches. They are a lot easier to set up. Pat Leahy has them.

More
09 May 2020 21:56 #40136 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
Is anybody making a new improved selector switch? I'm working with my dad tracing his shifting problems, and the issue is electrical in either the interlock or the selector switch. Would like to have a new one in my hands before we take it apart.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
01 Dec 2018 21:06 #36051 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
As a sidnote - I have successfully repaired a few pieces of Bakelite with 3M panel adhesive that they use to "weld" replacement sheet metal panels onto new cars - you just need a clean mating surface and plenty time and patience. - my point being try your best and if something goes wrong do not give up hope. Also, I have at times stripped the woven coating off of certain places in light connectors and --- you still have the PVC coating to protect and that extra space is a real blessing at times.

JMM
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
29 Nov 2018 22:28 #36038 by 1748 S
Yes, at this time I plan on using this because I see no issues like we'll worn contacts. Replacing all these pieces will cost just over a thousand U S. I know this part is probably 80 plus years old but. For about 40 of that has been in a plastic bag out of the shop. Kind of in my Cord parts vault.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
29 Nov 2018 21:20 #36037 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
Gary Bakelite would have been the ideal material back then but as you said very fragile.
Are you intending on using this original switch?

T cockerell

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
29 Nov 2018 15:43 #36036 by 1748 S
Terry here are the pics of my original shift selector switch and associated parts.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
29 Nov 2018 08:58 - 29 Nov 2018 09:11 #36034 by Terry Cockerell
Hi Jim and Gary.
Thanks for your supportive comments. It is a hell of a job restoring a Cord from the ground up after you have taken it all apart. As the gear change mechanism worked so well after sorting out the initial bugs I didn't want to get into more trouble with the switch as I still have a long way to go with everything else. The car is coming along nicely. It must have looked like a space ship in 1936 with its original Cadet grey paint shining in the daylight.
My loom is in one piece so I will take your advice Jim and feed it up through the steering column outer tube before doing any soldering up.
One step at a time.
The last picture shows the Connersville City Flag which the Mayor of Connersville gave me during the Mini Meet we had there before Auburn.
Cheers,
Terry

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Nov 2018 09:11 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Revise text

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
29 Nov 2018 04:05 #36033 by 1748 S
Terry... Tomorrow I will take pics and post them of my original shift electrical parts. Henry Portz sold them to me probably 35 plus years ago.He told me NOT you try to take apart the switch because I would break the Bakelite where the snap ring fits.Well it was so long ago when I opened this up I do not recall breaking anything. I probably made a tool at work because I had millions of dollars worth of tools and equipment avail for personal use anytime. It was great using all those tools and machinery for personal use. I so miss that too... Your switch might be made from Delrin plastic. I was just looking in Stan's catalog and that's what he sells. Found on page 57. Part number is 6017 (B10762... Price in 2013 was $658.50 ea.

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
29 Nov 2018 03:26 #36032 by JIM.OBRIEN
Hi Terry,
Gary is right, this is a "newer" switch. Your wires look like they are in good condition and appear to be modern plastic insulated wires with the cloth over them. That's a good point for leaving the wires in place. However if your splices are located in the steering column tube you probably won't get all the wires back in there. It's hard enough to get all the wires in there.

Soldering in the new wires is not too difficult. With this piece you do have to watch the temperature because you can melt the plastic. It makes the job a lot easier if you lay out the wires in the steering column in the same layout of where they need to go in the switch. That way the wires come straight out of the column and go straight into their proper location on the switch - just like it's shown in your photos.

If you have a new one piece harness you have to feed the wires into the column from the bottom and then solder on the switch. This is where you have to feed them into the column in the proper order. If you have the two piece harness you can solder the switch on first, then feed the wires down the steering column and then solder on the connecting plug after the wires are in place.

Personally I would solder the wires onto the switch and not put splices in the wires. The splices are just one more potential problem area.

Good luck with it!
Jim

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
29 Nov 2018 02:24 #36031 by Terry Cockerell
Gary that is interesting as I assumed it was an original switch. I guess that switch is not so old.
I think I will splice the cables lower down. It will be safer that way.

T cockerell

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
29 Nov 2018 01:03 #36030 by 1748 S
This can be a difficult place to soldier Terry. I have not done this yet but I know I have to do this job. Those round contacts must have been pushed thru the white piece after they were connected to the pin. I can't see any other way to soldier them. This is a new piece rotor. The original was black bakeolite and they get brittle after 80 years.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
28 Nov 2018 23:05 - 28 Nov 2018 23:09 #36029 by Terry Cockerell
I have just taken some pictures and hope to be able to attach them to this email.
Some of the cable ends were pushed into the plastic housing when originally put together. These are the areas I do not wish to disturb. I guess the safest route is to splice the cables lower down and staggered as suggested by Michael to keep the overall diameter down. I will look into getting outer cable shrink covers.
Thanks guys for your help and suggestions.

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Nov 2018 23:09 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding text

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
28 Nov 2018 14:25 #36023 by 1748 S
Terry do you have any pictures of this area? Also do you have the soldier suction tool to get the soldier off the tab and wires. The industry also offers a soldiering wick. It looks like braided copper tube material and comes in different sizes. I personally have not used either of these tools.

• Michael R
  • Registered
More
28 Nov 2018 08:03 #36022 by Michael R
Replied by Michael R on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
I canot help with the decission wether to cut or to do the full job (last would be better but might be too hard work and perhaps will cause damage on the gear switch?) But if you decide for cutting, don´t cut at the same level, because the loom will be thicker after soldering. Perhaps you do have these wonderfull soldering fittings that will close the repair with a shrinking isolation automatically?

(pic shows my 49 Packard)
Attachments:

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
28 Nov 2018 02:13 #36021 by Terry Cockerell
Gear Selector Switch Wiring was created by Terry Cockerell
I am in the process of installing new wiring harnesses. One problem that has come up is the gear change switch loom. To disconnect the wires from the switch and solder the new loom into position looks to be an almost impossible task. The original insulation on the original wiring looks to be ok so I am considering cutting the wires about 12 inches down from the switch and soldering the new loom from there.
I would appreciate some guidance from others who have tackled this trick job .......................... help.

T cockerell