New Membership Platform: Membee

The ACD Club is rolling out a new online membership system. All ACD Club Members should have receivied an email with enrollment instructions. You will use your email address as your login, and select a new password. This account will be used to renew your membership, update membership information, and make changes to your membership record.

This account is NOT THE SAME as your current account which you use to access the ACD Website Forums. Please continue to log into the Forums with the same username and password as you have always used. In the future we may consolidate the two accounts.

Gear Selector Switch Wiring

More
01 Feb 2021 23:21 #42075 by pete kelly
Replied by pete kelly on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
I was interested in the procedure for pulling in new wires.
I found it strange that my NOS selector switch comes with the wires attached.
Any ideas how the factory suggested it be done?
Pete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2021 23:36 #42076 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
Post some pictures Pete! The wires attached is cool if you are using the plug at the bottom of the column. I have no idea how you are supposed to get down there and solder with a supercharged car, however.

I'm really trying to come up with a way to disconnect the switch at the column. But I only get one shot with the harness I have and screwing it up would be catastrophic.

More
01 Feb 2021 23:41 #42077 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
I recall seeing a print made by Henry Portz once. In the second to last pic those brass pieces that fit thru the switch get pushed out. Then the wire is soldered into them. then they are pulled back into the switch. This print could have been from Stan or JK Howell too. I think I have it in my photo album. Will check later.

Gary Parsons

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
02 Feb 2021 20:32 #42078 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
Pete - It's my understanding the steering column came in pre-wired. All the factory had to do we drop the column in place, bolt it up to the dash and plug in the connector at the firewall. I don't thing they every thought we would be rewiring them 85 years later.

Al - Don't worry about screwing it up, it's really tought to screw it up to the point of no return. Before you attach the wires take a good look at the contacts inside the switch and make sure they are not worn out. I have seen several that have holes worn in the contacts down inside the switch.

I see one of the contacts on the wafer is worn. Put the wafer on the pencil and put the pencil in the switch and make sure all three contacts on the wafer are hitting the face of the switch. I had one recently where one didn't make contact and it drove me crazy trying to find the problem (it didn't help the owner was sitting there watching).

When you solder the wires on start with the longest (the 4 wires that go to the face) wires first and work your way to the back triming the wires as you go so they lay in there neatly. Use enough solder to secure the wires on the terminal, but no a big glob. THen follow the testing I documented in the artilce. It may seam excessive but if you follow it you will catch any problems early and when you are done you know the switch is working properly and not giving you any problems.
JIm
The following user(s) said Thank You: alsancle

More
02 Feb 2021 21:24 #42079 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
Jim: you are 100% correct. One thing I might add is before you start to soldier any wires, make sure you feed the 10 wires thru that round cardboard separator at rear of switch the keeps the wires separated from the shift pencil moving in and out when selecting gears.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

More
02 Feb 2021 23:26 #42080 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
This information came from Stan I believe.It appears to be an after market switch so I'm not sure our orignial switch comes apart like this. He sells this information thru his catalog. I see many information sheets in there costing $3.00 each and up.

Gary Parsons
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds