New Membership Platform: Membee

The ACD Club is rolling out a new online membership system. All ACD Club Members should have receivied an email with enrollment instructions. You will use your email address as your login, and select a new password. This account will be used to renew your membership, update membership information, and make changes to your membership record.

This account is NOT THE SAME as your current account which you use to access the ACD Website Forums. Please continue to log into the Forums with the same username and password as you have always used. In the future we may consolidate the two accounts.

Gear Selector Switch Wiring

More
29 Jan 2021 23:21 #42051 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
So I gave our original switch to an electrical engineer buddy of mine that is plenty of solder experience to clean it up. Hopefully when he is ready I'll have the harness pulled. Today my brother and I spent about 90 minutes and got 6 of the 10 wires pulled. We are following Jim's instructions exactly as he outlined in his newsletter article from last month. My only comment would be that Jim says it is easier with 2 people and I would say it would be impossible without 2.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Terry Cockerell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
30 Jan 2021 06:54 #42060 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
From my experience the simplest way to do the job is to remove the steering wheel then remove the column tube. The soldering job is much easier on a bench with everything laid out. When completed the column tube complete with wiring can be slid down over the steering column. The firewall side steering column grommet has to be cut for refitting and can simply be super glued on the cut. It may take a bit longer but is can all be done by one person.

T cockerell

More
30 Jan 2021 13:31 - 30 Jan 2021 13:31 #42062 by alsancle
Hey Terry,
Because I eliminated the plug I have the one piece harness. I'm not sure I could pull the entire thing down from the top?

I do agree it would be much nicer to do the solder work on a bench. I've been evaluating the notion of soldering very small portions of wire to the switch on the bench and then using solder seals to do the connections. The solder seals just get heated with a heat gun. The issue is clearance as the seals are slightly larger in diameter than the wire.

Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Jan 2021 13:31 by alsancle.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Terry Cockerell's Avatar Topic Author
More
30 Jan 2021 20:26 #42063 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
Go back to page 5 of this Forum. I used the one piece wiring loom and explained how I did the whole job. You can only feed the wires up from the lower end of the steering column cover tube.
You have a very nice looking phaeton.

T cockerell
The following user(s) said Thank You: alsancle

More
01 Feb 2021 22:20 #42070 by alsancle
My brother and I got the 10 wires pulled up from the bottom of the steering column using Jim's instructions. We had to use pull lube on the last two pulls. Each pull is two wires and another pull string. You can get pull lube at Home depot. With two guys we did the 10 wires in about 2 hours total. It takes longer than you would think.

You need tiny but strong pull string. And you need to tape in a way that doesn't bulk up the package.

Hopefully Friday we solder.
Attachments:

More
01 Feb 2021 22:30 #42072 by alsancle
My buddy the Electrical engineer cleaned up our original selection switch. Here is the before and after.

Time to create page: 0.301 seconds