New Membership Platform: Membee

The ACD Club is rolling out a new online membership system. All ACD Club Members should have receivied an email with enrollment instructions. You will use your email address as your login, and select a new password. This account will be used to renew your membership, update membership information, and make changes to your membership record.

This account is NOT THE SAME as your current account which you use to access the ACD Website Forums. Please continue to log into the Forums with the same username and password as you have always used. In the future we may consolidate the two accounts.

Gear Selector Switch Wiring

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
29 Nov 2018 03:26 #36032 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
Hi Terry,
Gary is right, this is a "newer" switch. Your wires look like they are in good condition and appear to be modern plastic insulated wires with the cloth over them. That's a good point for leaving the wires in place. However if your splices are located in the steering column tube you probably won't get all the wires back in there. It's hard enough to get all the wires in there.

Soldering in the new wires is not too difficult. With this piece you do have to watch the temperature because you can melt the plastic. It makes the job a lot easier if you lay out the wires in the steering column in the same layout of where they need to go in the switch. That way the wires come straight out of the column and go straight into their proper location on the switch - just like it's shown in your photos.

If you have a new one piece harness you have to feed the wires into the column from the bottom and then solder on the switch. This is where you have to feed them into the column in the proper order. If you have the two piece harness you can solder the switch on first, then feed the wires down the steering column and then solder on the connecting plug after the wires are in place.

Personally I would solder the wires onto the switch and not put splices in the wires. The splices are just one more potential problem area.

Good luck with it!
Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Nov 2018 04:05 #36033 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
Terry... Tomorrow I will take pics and post them of my original shift electrical parts. Henry Portz sold them to me probably 35 plus years ago.He told me NOT you try to take apart the switch because I would break the Bakelite where the snap ring fits.Well it was so long ago when I opened this up I do not recall breaking anything. I probably made a tool at work because I had millions of dollars worth of tools and equipment avail for personal use anytime. It was great using all those tools and machinery for personal use. I so miss that too... Your switch might be made from Delrin plastic. I was just looking in Stan's catalog and that's what he sells. Found on page 57. Part number is 6017 (B10762... Price in 2013 was $658.50 ea.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Terry Cockerell's Avatar Topic Author
More
29 Nov 2018 08:58 - 29 Nov 2018 09:11 #36034 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
Hi Jim and Gary.
Thanks for your supportive comments. It is a hell of a job restoring a Cord from the ground up after you have taken it all apart. As the gear change mechanism worked so well after sorting out the initial bugs I didn't want to get into more trouble with the switch as I still have a long way to go with everything else. The car is coming along nicely. It must have looked like a space ship in 1936 with its original Cadet grey paint shining in the daylight.
My loom is in one piece so I will take your advice Jim and feed it up through the steering column outer tube before doing any soldering up.
One step at a time.
The last picture shows the Connersville City Flag which the Mayor of Connersville gave me during the Mini Meet we had there before Auburn.
Cheers,
Terry

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Nov 2018 09:11 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Revise text

More
29 Nov 2018 15:43 #36036 by 1748 S
Terry here are the pics of my original shift selector switch and associated parts.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Terry Cockerell's Avatar Topic Author
More
29 Nov 2018 21:20 #36037 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
Gary Bakelite would have been the ideal material back then but as you said very fragile.
Are you intending on using this original switch?

T cockerell

More
29 Nov 2018 22:28 #36038 by 1748 S
Yes, at this time I plan on using this because I see no issues like we'll worn contacts. Replacing all these pieces will cost just over a thousand U S. I know this part is probably 80 plus years old but. For about 40 of that has been in a plastic bag out of the shop. Kind of in my Cord parts vault.

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds