Skip to main content

Gear Selector Switch Wiring

• pete kelly
  • Registered
More
01 Feb 2021 23:21 #42075 by pete kelly
Replied by pete kelly on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
I was interested in the procedure for pulling in new wires.
I found it strange that my NOS selector switch comes with the wires attached.
Any ideas how the factory suggested it be done?
Pete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2021 22:30 #42072 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
My buddy the Electrical engineer cleaned up our original selection switch. Here is the before and after.

More
01 Feb 2021 22:20 #42070 by alsancle
My brother and I got the 10 wires pulled up from the bottom of the steering column using Jim's instructions. We had to use pull lube on the last two pulls. Each pull is two wires and another pull string. You can get pull lube at Home depot. With two guys we did the 10 wires in about 2 hours total. It takes longer than you would think.

You need tiny but strong pull string. And you need to tape in a way that doesn't bulk up the package.

Hopefully Friday we solder.
Attachments:

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
30 Jan 2021 20:26 #42063 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
Go back to page 5 of this Forum. I used the one piece wiring loom and explained how I did the whole job. You can only feed the wires up from the lower end of the steering column cover tube.
You have a very nice looking phaeton.

T cockerell
The following user(s) said Thank You: alsancle

More
30 Jan 2021 13:31 - 30 Jan 2021 13:31 #42062 by alsancle
Hey Terry,
Because I eliminated the plug I have the one piece harness. I'm not sure I could pull the entire thing down from the top?

I do agree it would be much nicer to do the solder work on a bench. I've been evaluating the notion of soldering very small portions of wire to the switch on the bench and then using solder seals to do the connections. The solder seals just get heated with a heat gun. The issue is clearance as the seals are slightly larger in diameter than the wire.

Last edit: 30 Jan 2021 13:31 by alsancle.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
30 Jan 2021 06:54 #42060 by Terry Cockerell
From my experience the simplest way to do the job is to remove the steering wheel then remove the column tube. The soldering job is much easier on a bench with everything laid out. When completed the column tube complete with wiring can be slid down over the steering column. The firewall side steering column grommet has to be cut for refitting and can simply be super glued on the cut. It may take a bit longer but is can all be done by one person.

T cockerell

More
29 Jan 2021 23:21 #42051 by alsancle
So I gave our original switch to an electrical engineer buddy of mine that is plenty of solder experience to clean it up. Hopefully when he is ready I'll have the harness pulled. Today my brother and I spent about 90 minutes and got 6 of the 10 wires pulled. We are following Jim's instructions exactly as he outlined in his newsletter article from last month. My only comment would be that Jim says it is easier with 2 people and I would say it would be impossible without 2.

More
06 Dec 2020 14:08 - 06 Dec 2020 14:18 #41711 by alsancle
So our new harness from RI Wiring arrived on Friday. It took about 7 weeks because per recommendation we wanted to eliminate the plug at the bottom of the firewall. This is a special order with RI Wiring instead of the split harness they keep in stock. Will be pulling it through a fake plug. At first I looked at the box and thought "that all?". But when I unwound it, the length is probably 8 feet or more which must be enough to get from the interlock switch to the top of the column. Here are some pictures.
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Dec 2020 14:18 by alsancle.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
03 Nov 2020 15:57 #41403 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
Thanks for posting the new and original pictures. The originals look impossible to get out but with CORDS NOTHING is impossible... We all have found this out many times..

Gary Parsons

More
03 Nov 2020 01:51 #41389 by alsancle
Here is a picture of the original ring and the redesigned one that is sold by Auburn Cord Parts.
Attachments:

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
22 Oct 2020 22:30 #41252 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
Terry,
From photos I remember you posting previously your switch is a "new" design. Also the ring with the loop on it is a newer design. As far as I know all the original rings were were just that...a ring.

• George van Nostrand
  • Registered
More
22 Oct 2020 15:18 #41247 by George van Nostrand
Replied by George van Nostrand on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
Stan at Auburn Cord Parts shows : # 6015 ( B-6015 ) Selector switch snap ring retainer. New design.

Restoring 1936 Cord Westchester sedan.2023 A

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
21 Oct 2020 20:06 #41238 by Terry Cockerell
The wire circlip or snap ring holding my switch has a small loop on one end which made it much easier to get hold of and remove.
It may have been an updated design with the new plastic body switch.
Sorry I don't have a picture of it.

T cockerell

More
21 Oct 2020 12:22 #41232 by alsancle
Thanks Guys. Jim - sent you a private message with my email. Also, I believe Mike Brady told me that I can get snap rings from Stan Gillialand? I'll look for my roster today and find his contact info. No way I'm putting that round ring back in there. I almost took a hack saw to the housing I was so annoyed with it.

Still waiting for RI wiring to ship the new full length harness.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
20 Oct 2020 21:20 #41227 by 1748 S
Glad you got it apart. Nothing looks bad but do as Jim suggested. I hope you can replace the difficult to remove snap ring. No better time than now. No telling how many times you may have to open this switch again.Hopefully you never have too.

Gary Parsons

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
20 Oct 2020 21:14 #41226 by JIM.OBRIEN
Hi Al, From the photos the switch looks good. Clean all the grease off of it, unsolder the wires and inspect it closely. Check the contacts, I have seen some with holes worn in them from all the shifting. I am just finishing up my next article on putting this switch back together and testing it. If you send me your email I will forward you a copy so you can see if I missed anything and hopefully give you some tips to get it back together..
Jim

More
20 Oct 2020 20:02 #41224 by alsancle
Well, that was quite a pain in the rear end but I have my switch out. I could only get the snap ring to move 20 degrees either way and could not get the opening over to the slot. I finally gave up and gave it to my buddy Mike Lavalle of KES who is more skilled and has better tools. It took him about an hour. The switch was wrapped in electrical tape which he carefully pulled out which allowed him more clearance to rotate the ring.

Examining my switch (see pictures) I see no cracks or breaks just horrible solder work. There is grease on the end contacts and I'm not sure if they was causing issues. I have a new replacement switch but may reuse this one. Thoughts?
Attachments:

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
20 Sep 2020 23:45 #41019 by JIM.OBRIEN
I usually feed two at a time and pull another string in at the same time. Also have a spare string in there on the side just incase the string slips off the wires as you are pulling them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

More
20 Sep 2020 13:37 #41009 by alsancle
Thanks Jim. Feed them one at a time from the bottom?

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
20 Sep 2020 01:04 #41002 by JIM.OBRIEN
AL, You can replace the shift wiring harness with the steering column in the car. I have done two recently. It take a little more work (but not as much as removing the steering column). It helps if you have a second set of hands to help out with feeding the wires thru the column and when soldering the switch. You will have to solder the switch while you are sitting in the car.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
19 Sep 2020 00:12 #40987 by 1748 S

Rileypu29 wrote: I just purchased two water pump rebuild kits from Cathy Portz who is indeed still selling Henry's parts. There is a website for ordering. Cathy is great to work with and shipped the parts very quickly. I highly recommend buying parts from her.
Bill Kastanis

Thanks for the information. I'm located about 3 hours south of this. I really want to walk thru the Henry shop just to see what he was doing and look at the tooling. Maybe purchase something I "can't do without"... Tell the wife I just need one more part....

Gary Parsons

• Rileypu29
  • Registered
More
18 Sep 2020 17:07 #40981 by Rileypu29
Replied by Rileypu29 on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
I just purchased two water pump rebuild kits from Cathy Portz who is indeed still selling Henry's parts. There is a website for ordering. Cathy is great to work with and shipped the parts very quickly. I highly recommend buying parts from her.
Bill Kastanis

Bill Kastanis

More
18 Sep 2020 14:05 #40979 by alsancle
I believe his daughter is selling off his inventory via his website, but since I don't have it in my hands yet, we shall see.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
18 Sep 2020 13:53 #40978 by 1748 S
How can you have purchased something from Henry Portz? I suspect you purchased the fake plug several years ago. But VERY interested in your response too.

Gary Parsons

More
18 Sep 2020 12:20 #40977 by alsancle
I ordered the one piece loom from RI wiring. Looks like 8-10 weeks which reminds me I should have been moving quicker earlier in the summer. Also, I ordered the fake plug from Henry Portz.

I told my dad we are taking the steering tube out and he was disagreeing since he didn't have to do it last time, and I pointed out that last time he didn't replace the harness.

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
14 Sep 2020 14:49 #40959 by JIM.OBRIEN
Terry is correct you have to feed the wires from the bottom of the steering column. You want to sort them out first so when they come out on top they feed directly into the shift arm housing and the switch. I'll post the order of the wires later, all my notes are in the shop.

Originally there was a cardboard "washer" the wires ran thru that was located at the base of the shift arm (at the steering column). Your best bet is to pull in two or three wires at a time. I always use a string to pull in the wires and ALWAYS have a spare pull string in the column.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
14 Sep 2020 00:31 - 14 Sep 2020 00:32 #40957 by Terry Cockerell
NO, the cotton covering of the loom makes it too big to pass through from the top. You have to pass the separate wires up from the bottom.
Make sure you have the inside grommet fitted to the column tube as shown in the attached picture.

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Sep 2020 00:32 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding picture

More
13 Sep 2020 13:24 #40948 by alsancle
Jim, is it possible to feed the harness down from the top? That would allow me to temporarily connect and test the selection switch inside the arm before assembling.

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
07 Sep 2020 23:12 #40896 by JIM.OBRIEN
If you are using the one piece wiring harness(which I highly recommend) you need to feed the wires up from the bottom of the steering column tube. When you feed them up the column lay them out in order they need to go into the shift housing so you don't have the wires twisting up in the shift housing.

More
07 Sep 2020 11:56 #40886 by alsancle
Thanks. I was hoping I could use a fish tape to pull the wires back, but from reading your reply it looks like the column tube needs to come out to get the wires back down?

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
07 Sep 2020 08:49 #40885 by Terry Cockerell
You can remove the steering column cover tube from the car.
You must first slide the ten wires up through the steering column cover tube and solder the new switch in position. Run your tests with the column out of the car. Eventually when installing the cover tube complete with wiring make sure the inside grommet is in position. Pass the wiring through the firewall then slide the cover tube down the steering column. To refit the engine side grommet you will have to cut it radially as it won't fit over the wires coming out at the bottom of the cover tube. Place the grommet in position and superglue the cut joint. This procedure worked for me.

T cockerell

More
07 Sep 2020 00:50 #40884 by alsancle
Thinking about it over the weekend, I think I'm going to get the full length harness, install the new selection switch with the new harness and connect the other end to the interlock and front control without running the harness or installing the column stock. This will allow me to test everything without having to install all the wiring. Once I know it works, then I can disconnect the wires up front, and thread them down the column and pull the rest of the harness through.

Bad idea?

More
04 Sep 2020 00:16 - 04 Sep 2020 00:17 #40853 by alsancle
My dad and I finally got around to removing the wiring harness from the column. The wires look to be 2 million years old. I was going to order the selection switch harness from RI wiring but thought I would ask if there is any consensus on replacing the partial harness with a single one (and fake plug) all the way to the transmission?

The trade-offs I see are:

1. A single harness eliminates any issues with the plug.
2. A single harness eliminates me trying to solder the connections on to the plug
3. A single harness means you can't pull just the selection harness out to work on the switch.
4. A single harness means more work with installing the front 1/2 of the harness.

Final question, if I go with just the selection harness, is anyone making the plug or half the plug?
Last edit: 04 Sep 2020 00:17 by alsancle.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
27 Jul 2020 21:01 - 27 Jul 2020 21:04 #40611 by Terry Cockerell
These simple tools make the job of installing or removing the snap ring quite an easy task. For a full description and list of dimensions check out the Forum heading, Not Sure I Have A Problem.

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Jul 2020 21:04 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Revising text

More
24 Jul 2020 17:01 #40602 by alsancle
Thanks to all for your input! This thread has some good pictures of tools that might help with what looks like a miserable job.

phpstack-1081784-3880776.cloudwaysapps.c...-if-i-have-a-problem

• rhauser
  • Registered
More
24 Jul 2020 16:12 #40600 by rhauser
Replied by rhauser on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
Yes there is a snap ring down in the tube on the back side of the switch and it can only go in that way.
Robert l Hauser

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
24 Jul 2020 14:43 #40599 by 1748 S
Thank you so much for the great explanation of doing this job Jim. My switch and housing came from Henry Ports many years ago. It was completely disassembled too so I have no idea how it was installed but... Now I sure do.Is there another improved snap ring we can purchase? If so from who?

Gary Parsons

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
24 Jul 2020 01:20 #40597 by JIM.OBRIEN
Hi Al, If you look closely at the housing there is a notch (like a keyway) in the housing . This area allows you to get behind the snap ring and pry it out. If you are lucky the end of the snap ring is near the notch. I use a long thin screwdriver to get behind the snap ring and pry it out of the groove. At the same time I use a O-ring tool or a dental pick to grab the snap ring and pull it out.

If the end of the snap ring is not near the notch try and a use the screwdriver to move it around so it is near the notch.

This is one job I would rather be lucky then good. I have had this job take me as long as 4 hours to get the ring out. I've done it enough lately I can get it out in less then 5 mins.

If you are having problems call me
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S, alsancle

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
24 Jul 2020 00:35 - 24 Jul 2020 00:38 #40596 by 1748 S
nOT ABLE TO SUGGEST A WAY TO REMOVE THE SNAP RING BUT i'M TOLD ITS very DIFFICULT. i BET A SPECIAL TOOL IS GOING TO HAVE TO BE MADE. i NOTICED THE SWITCH APPEARS TO HAVE WLWCTRICAL TAPE WRAPPED AROUND IT. bE SURE TO WRAP THIS AGAIN OR USE SOME SHRINK WRAP IN THE EXPOSED CONDUCTOR AREA. tHEY GET REALLY CLOSE TO THE HOUSING AND A SHORT IS NOT SOMETHING YOU WANT IN THIS AREA.

gARY pARSONS
Last edit: 24 Jul 2020 00:38 by 1748 S. Reason: Sorry for the above post. Wife left computer on caps and I did not notice. I two finger type watching the keyboard

More
23 Jul 2020 22:42 #40595 by alsancle
Ok, so examining the snap ring (see picture) I have no idea how to compress that. Any suggestions?

More
23 Jul 2020 21:01 #40594 by alsancle
Thank you! Any idea who might have the updated snap rings?

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
22 Jul 2020 23:56 #40588 by JIM.OBRIEN
A couple of points on this thread - Terry, the switch you have there is an aftermarket switch - very different from the original but functions the same.
AJ - the housing has a keyway cut in it and the switch has a square on it so it will only go in one way.

The original snap ring was just a circular piece. This makes it hard to get out. There are updated ones out there that have a ring on the one end that makes it easy to grab and remove the snap ring.

My next article for the Newsletter will be on this subject. Will also include testing the switch to make sure it will work in the car.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S, alsancle

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
22 Jul 2020 22:50 #40585 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
The switch is held in with snap ring. Also the shift body only comes out one way. ( side towards 10 wires)

More
22 Jul 2020 21:02 #40584 by alsancle
I'm trying to replace bakelite switch with a new switch body made on a 3D printer by Pat Leahy. So, unless I disassemble the column to get the harness out, I will be trying to do what Terry is doing.

I will say that things are pretty tight. My question is probably simple, is there a snap ring holding the switch body inside the shifter housing? And can the body only go in one way?

thanks,

A.J.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
24 Jun 2020 21:09 #40416 by Terry Cockerell
After making sure the soldered connections were all solid and that the cables were in the correct locations fitting the switch cover and internal rotating switch contact was not too bad. I then wrapped some insulation tape around the switch and cables. Literature I had said to use a piece of 3/16" threaded rod long enough to pass through the assembly with washers and nuts either end to compress the internal spring. With this in place fitting the internal circlip is a lot easier. The assemble was then moved towards the tube cover as the cables were pulled at the 10 pin plug end. It all went together pretty smoothly.
The job could be done with the steering column tube cover in position but it would be more tedious. Having it all out of the car makes it a lot easier to work on as you can rotate the tube cover when soldering the various connections around the switch.

T cockerell

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
24 Jun 2020 16:29 #40415 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
Hmmm. Terry I hope you make out OK.. I’ve always wired the Bakelite switch first so I can feed the wires thru the shift arm and install the snap ring and then down the steering column tube. Also originally there is a fiber like cardboard round disk with holes in it that keeps the wires in the correct position at the back of the Bakelite switch.

More
24 Jun 2020 11:49 - 24 Jun 2020 11:52 #40413 by alsancle
Terry, thank you for the pictures and write up. I'm wondering how hard this is going to be to do in the car. I'm also trying to convince my dad we should bite the bullet on a one piece harness.

A.J.
Last edit: 24 Jun 2020 11:52 by alsancle.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
24 Jun 2020 10:35 - 24 Jun 2020 10:40 #40412 by Terry Cockerell
After avoiding the inevitable for long enough I got on with the job of rewiring the gear selector switch with a new one piece wiring loom eliminating the troublesome 10 pin plug.
Laying the cables out correctly is the key to success. The cables have to be slid into the steering column cover tube and pulled through from the bottom up to the switch . I had the cover tube out of the car with the cabin side firewall grommet in position. After carefully removing the old cables and soldering the new ones in position the switch was fitted to the cover tube. Eventually the new loom with a dummy 10 pin plug was fed through the firewall and the cover tube assembly slid down over the steering column and fixed in place. As you cannot slide the firewall side grommet over the cover tube with the cables in place, I simply made a cut through the grommet, positioned it and super glued the joint.
The gear selector switch has some contacts that are a tight fit in the plastic housing. In some reference material it said an ice pick can be used to push the contacts out. I figured pushing a point into soft material may make things worse. I cut the wires off flush with the plastic housing and used a small round flat ended punch to push them out. This worked well.
One day in the not too distant future I hope to be able to change gears again, when the restoration is finished.
One final note, I painted the insides of the switch gate black as it didn't look right in raw metal colours.

T cockerell
Last edit: 24 Jun 2020 10:40 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding pictures

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
15 May 2020 04:12 #40177 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
Shrink tubing can be used for other applications that don't involve wiring. It comes in many diameters.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

More
14 May 2020 13:37 #40171 by alsancle
We use this at work. Would it be good in this application?

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074HZHD9Q