New Membership Platform: Membee

The ACD Club is rolling out a new online membership system. All ACD Club Members should have receivied an email with enrollment instructions. You will use your email address as your login, and select a new password. This account will be used to renew your membership, update membership information, and make changes to your membership record.

This account is NOT THE SAME as your current account which you use to access the ACD Website Forums. Please continue to log into the Forums with the same username and password as you have always used. In the future we may consolidate the two accounts.

Gear Selector Switch Wiring

• Terry Cockerell
  • Terry Cockerell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
07 Sep 2020 08:49 #40885 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
You can remove the steering column cover tube from the car.
You must first slide the ten wires up through the steering column cover tube and solder the new switch in position. Run your tests with the column out of the car. Eventually when installing the cover tube complete with wiring make sure the inside grommet is in position. Pass the wiring through the firewall then slide the cover tube down the steering column. To refit the engine side grommet you will have to cut it radially as it won't fit over the wires coming out at the bottom of the cover tube. Place the grommet in position and superglue the cut joint. This procedure worked for me.

T cockerell
The following user(s) said Thank You: alsancle

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Sep 2020 11:56 #40886 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
Thanks. I was hoping I could use a fish tape to pull the wires back, but from reading your reply it looks like the column tube needs to come out to get the wires back down?

• JIM.OBRIEN
More
07 Sep 2020 23:12 #40896 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
If you are using the one piece wiring harness(which I highly recommend) you need to feed the wires up from the bottom of the steering column tube. When you feed them up the column lay them out in order they need to go into the shift housing so you don't have the wires twisting up in the shift housing.

More
13 Sep 2020 13:24 #40948 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
Jim, is it possible to feed the harness down from the top? That would allow me to temporarily connect and test the selection switch inside the arm before assembling.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Terry Cockerell's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 Sep 2020 00:31 - 14 Sep 2020 00:32 #40957 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
NO, the cotton covering of the loom makes it too big to pass through from the top. You have to pass the separate wires up from the bottom.
Make sure you have the inside grommet fitted to the column tube as shown in the attached picture.

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Sep 2020 00:32 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding picture

• JIM.OBRIEN
More
14 Sep 2020 14:49 #40959 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
Terry is correct you have to feed the wires from the bottom of the steering column. You want to sort them out first so when they come out on top they feed directly into the shift arm housing and the switch. I'll post the order of the wires later, all my notes are in the shop.

Originally there was a cardboard "washer" the wires ran thru that was located at the base of the shift arm (at the steering column). Your best bet is to pull in two or three wires at a time. I always use a string to pull in the wires and ALWAYS have a spare pull string in the column.

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds