Skip to main content

Gear Selector Switch Wiring

More
11 Apr 2021 21:23 #42893 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
My issue is definitely an adjustment of the clutch switch. I can tap the hot wire with the startix wire and start the car, but with the clutch completely depressed I can see no voltage on the two output wires. I just need to decide which cotter pin I'm going to pull out on my back to do the adjustment.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
11 Apr 2021 16:25 #42892 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
Info you were looking for.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: alsancle

More
11 Apr 2021 16:09 #42889 by alsancle
I have 6 volts at wire #3 and once I bent the bracket straight I got 6 volts at 1 & 2. I searched the newsletters and the forum for the clutch switch adjustments but found nothing. Is the new transmission book available now?

I might have an issue at the startix, but that seems like bad coincidence.

More
11 Apr 2021 11:43 #42887 by alsancle
Thanks guys, I'll get my meter out and see what is going on with the wires. My assumption was that I had disconnected the startix wire and not the transmission wire to land the red, but I tried swapping them.

Mike, I did not try to straighten the switch - but will try to find adjustment instructions and take a look.

• Mike Brady
  • Registered
More
11 Apr 2021 00:53 #42885 by Mike Brady
Replied by Mike Brady on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
AJ
If you straightened the bracket on the switch (as was suggested earlier), the switch is likely now out of adjustment. Time to get your ohm meter out and follow the adjustment procedure in the club tranny booklet.

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
11 Apr 2021 00:35 #42884 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
Alsancle - Position 3 should be your hot wire from the ignition switch. THis wire should have 6 volts on it whenever the ignition switch os on. Position 1 and 2 should have the wires to the shifting and to the startix. The switch is on/off. So when the clutch is depressed the switch provides power to the shifting system and to the startix. THis should help you troubleshooting.

More
10 Apr 2021 20:38 #42882 by alsancle
I have the new harness pulled all the way and connected. I want to point out I found another bad bullet connector on my new RI wiring harness. It pulled off by hand.

I should be driving down the road right now, right? Wrong!!!!

The startix is not even clicking or blipping the amp meter when I press down the clutch. I'm assuming I've landed my red wire on the wrong spot on the clutch switch? I've tried #1 and #2, but not #3.

Any thoughts?
Attachments:

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
26 Mar 2021 04:36 #42726 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
It is not quite what you want to hear but it is good that we know. After the EGGE Machine Tool Company supplied me with a set of standard size pistons with the gudgeon pins holes bored 1/4" lower than specifications dictated I guess we should check absolutely everything. I eventually got another set of pistons which "allowed me to fit the heads". Many months were lost in the process.

T cockerell

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
26 Mar 2021 02:21 #42725 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
Thank you for this brand information.I have the same modified complete harness. You bet I'm going to be checking all of my connections. All my harness pieces are from Rhode Island Wiring.

Gary Parsons

More
25 Mar 2021 23:41 #42724 by alsancle

1748 S wrote: Thats a great find. Glad its been corrected. Can you share who you purchased the harness from? It will really help myself n others. But checking the complete harness BEFORE installation is a fabulous idea. One that I plan to do.

Gary Parsons

It is the custom RI Wiring harness that goes from to back. It took some sleuthing to figure it out. If you held it a certain way it would read ok, but if you moved it would go to OL. I can't imagine how bad it would be to figure it out once the harness was pulled.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
25 Mar 2021 21:08 #42722 by 1748 S
Thats a great find. Glad its been corrected. Can you share who you purchased the harness from? It will really help myself n others. But checking the complete harness BEFORE installation is a fabulous idea. One that I plan to do.

Gary Parsons

More
25 Mar 2021 20:54 - 25 Mar 2021 20:55 #42721 by alsancle
Following Jim's test procedure to the letter, I was having trouble with Test #8, shifter in neutral, continuity on the white wires. I was seeing an intermittent OL (Open load) indication. I couldn't figure it out so I had my EE buddy come over with his meter. He eventually figured it out that the connector on the brand new harness was never crimped and soldered correctly.

My advice is to test continuity on the entire harness before soldering it on to the switch.
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Mar 2021 20:55 by alsancle.

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
23 Mar 2021 01:20 #42692 by JIM.OBRIEN
Two hours is about right! I won't ask how many drinks came after you got it together.

More
22 Mar 2021 11:59 #42685 by alsancle
Thanks. I reused the original wafer which also was the later one.

Good thing I'm not working flat rate. Just about two hours of goofing around to get the switch back in the housing. Have not started the continuity tests on the different gear positions yet.
Attachments:

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
21 Mar 2021 13:44 #42677 by JIM.OBRIEN
Before you use a different wafer put the two pieces on the pencil and make sure all three contacts touch and have a good electrical connection. Over the years the pieces wear in together and work fine. However when you change one of them they may not work.

I recently had one where both pieces looked great, but after much trouble shooting I pulled the switch apart and put both pieces on the pencil and pushed them together. When looking at it closely from the side you could see the one contact was not touching. A little bit of saning on the other contacts and everything worked well (at least that part did, but that's another story).
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

More
21 Mar 2021 13:03 #42676 by alsancle
I wonder how many revisions of the selection switch were made? Here are two versions of the wafer, one marked "1" and one marked "2". The second looks to have one larger contact. I'm using the one marked #2.
Attachments:

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
20 Mar 2021 00:36 #42670 by JIM.OBRIEN
Looks Great! Nice job soldering and keeping the wires on the inside makes installation easier.

More
18 Mar 2021 21:11 #42656 by alsancle
So I had my buddy the electrical engineer do the soldering today. I thought he did a great job. I need to study Jim's article to see what I'm doing next.
Attachments:

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
25 Feb 2021 05:36 #42421 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
McMaster-Carr has fish paper by the way. It comes in sheets from .005 to .020 in .005 increment's. You can also buy it as tubes. It is listed under sheets in index and called Electrical Grade Sheets also known as fishpaper.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
25 Feb 2021 00:14 #42412 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
These days any non conductive material would be ok to use, even a piece cut from the top of an ice cream container ...................... which reminds me, mine didn't have one so I will have to go back and open it up again.

T cockerell

More
24 Feb 2021 23:46 #42411 by alsancle
I made my wire spacer from fish paper. It was .010 thick so I had to make 3 and glue them together to get what felt like the right stiffness. I didn't do the steam part to make a lip. I do need to make the center hole larger than this picture as I can get shift shaft to catch .
Attachments:

More
17 Feb 2021 12:57 #42298 by alsancle

mikespeed35 wrote: I'm sure Curt can tell stories, but suppose to be -9 tonight here in MI. tonight. If you want to shrink some metal just set it outside.
CORDiallyMike

The AACA forum has that great thread on where a car guy should retire to. My only contribution was "Not Massachusetts".

January here was clear, dry and 35-40 degrees and I worked in the yard every day. In fact, I drove cars around early in the month. Feb has had 4 snow storms and temps near zero at night.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
17 Feb 2021 03:53 - 17 Feb 2021 03:53 #42293 by mikespeed35
I'm sure Curt can tell stories, but suppose to be -9 tonight here in MI. tonight. If you want to shrink some metal just set it outside.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman
Last edit: 17 Feb 2021 03:53 by mikespeed35.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
16 Feb 2021 05:44 - 16 Feb 2021 05:48 #42269 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
Sounds promising though - keep up the good work.
The real shame is that once you become an expert then your skills at such become irrelevant as your project is done.

we are having a snow storm - sounded like lightening and disregarded as being snow plows - nope, it really is thunder while snowing - as much fun as this afternoons 24 degrees and rain downpour.

JMM
Last edit: 16 Feb 2021 05:48 by johnmereness.

More
15 Feb 2021 12:58 #42254 by alsancle

feedtaleone wrote: I ordered the one piece loom from RI wiring. Looks like 8-10 weeks which reminds me I should have been moving quicker earlier in the summer. Also, I ordered the fake plug from Henry Portz.

I'm aiming for the 1 year anniversary of me starting the project to be finished. I've been stalling for two weeks because I need to make the wafer to organize the wires. I have about another 8 weeks to go.

Considering we have gotten about 2 feet of snow in the last 2 weeks there isn't much hurry if driving was my aim.

• feedtaleone
  • Registered
More
15 Feb 2021 06:45 - 18 Feb 2021 14:32 #42252 by feedtaleone
Replied by feedtaleone on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
I ordered the one piece loom from RI wiring. Looks like 8-10 weeks which reminds me I should have been moving quicker earlier in the summer. Also, I ordered the fake plug from Henry Portz. get-vidmate.com instasave.onl
Last edit: 18 Feb 2021 14:32 by feedtaleone.

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
06 Feb 2021 00:48 #42136 by JIM.OBRIEN
Yes, Just slide them on the pencil and then see if they all touch. THe pencil holds the wafer face and the switch face parralell. if the two are worn differently one of the buttons may not touch.

More
05 Feb 2021 18:18 #42127 by alsancle

JIM.OBRIEN wrote: AL, After you clean things up put the wafer and the shwitch on the pencil and gently push them together. Carefully look from the side and make sure the three buttons on the wafer are making contact with the switch face. I recently had a switch were one contact wasn't touching when the pencil was in place. It drove me nuts trying to find the problem. After I figured it out the owner told me he just changed out the wafer because it looked better then the one that was in there.

Jim, if I hold the wafer up to the switch the button all touch. I was messing with putting them on the pencil without using the housing and I was failing miserably at it. Do I just slide them on to the pencil as you show them in your pictures?

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
05 Feb 2021 15:30 #42120 by JIM.OBRIEN
AL, After you clean things up put the wafer and the shwitch on the pencil and gently push them together. Carefully look from the side and make sure the three buttons on the wafer are making contact with the switch face. I recently had a switch were one contact wasn't touching when the pencil was in place. It drove me nuts trying to find the problem. After I figured it out the owner told me he just changed out the wafer because it looked better then the one that was in there.

More
04 Feb 2021 10:54 #42105 by alsancle
Thanks. I will check #3.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
04 Feb 2021 05:03 #42104 by mikespeed35
Top Shelf Club Member, Jim O'Brien.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
04 Feb 2021 03:19 #42102 by JIM.OBRIEN
Number 3 was the one I saw earlier. But the whole face on 4 thru 8 needs a good cleaning up before you do anything. Then check the connections like I explained earlier. if you have a questions on it call me at 484-650-2124, I can walk you thru it.

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
03 Feb 2021 13:59 #42095 by uconn_1965
My eyes are getting bad but I would say #3

More
03 Feb 2021 13:57 #42094 by alsancle
Jim,

You mentioned that one of the contacts looked bad. Could you look at these pictures and tell me which one you were looking at?

More
03 Feb 2021 13:49 #42091 by alsancle
Thanks guys. I replied in the other thread with the pictures. I just ordered some fish paper and don't see a big deal making one.

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
03 Feb 2021 02:21 #42088 by uconn_1965
I just looked at some of my spare shift parts. I don’t have an extra separator but I pulled one out of a complete spare arm that I have. I’d be happy to send it to you to copy along with the cardboard rectangular insulator that goes inside the switch. Just send me your name and mailing address and I’ll put it in the mail. I took a picture of the 2 pieces but can’t see how I attach the photo to this reply

• Mike Brady
  • Registered
More
03 Feb 2021 02:14 #42087 by Mike Brady
Replied by Mike Brady on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
AJ
The diagram on page 4 (May 12th) shows the wire separator. I made mine out of fish paper and punched the holes with a leather punch. I also inserted a roll of fish paper between the switch and the casting.....just in case.

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
03 Feb 2021 01:49 #42086 by uconn_1965
If I had one, I would just give it to you. From my recollection, the circle is about the diameter of the back of the housing. There is a center hole large enough for the shift pencil to slide thru without touching. Then they are 10 holes for the wires but there is a special placement of holes on the disk. The purpose of this spacer is to prevent the sliding of the pencil in and out from chafing the wires.

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
03 Feb 2021 01:42 #42085 by uconn_1965
Pete: you are correct. Over the years I’ve had a couple of those nos switches and wires. The only problem I had with them was identifying the color of the wires because they had faded and had to trace them back to the switch. I always had to pull column to solder and install the firewall connection

More
03 Feb 2021 01:31 #42084 by alsancle
Pete, that is a nice piece. Looks identical to the one I have. Except a lot nicer.

More
03 Feb 2021 01:28 #42083 by alsancle

uconn_1965 wrote: Jim: you are 100% correct. One thing I might add is before you start to soldier any wires, make sure you feed the 10 wires thru that round cardboard separator at rear of switch the keeps the wires separated from the shift pencil moving in and out when selecting gears.

So I didn't have a separator when we took ours apart. Is it critical, and if so anyone know where I can find one? If not, maybe a picture and I'll make one?

thanks.

• pete kelly
  • Registered
More
03 Feb 2021 01:27 #42082 by pete kelly
Replied by pete kelly on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
Evening all
Here are pics of the selector switch as I got it.
Looks like a factory replacement part, still NOS.
Pete
Attachments:

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
03 Feb 2021 01:19 #42081 by JIM.OBRIEN
Gary, that is instructions for a replacement switch Stan sells. AN original switch is very different.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
02 Feb 2021 23:26 #42080 by 1748 S
This information came from Stan I believe.It appears to be an after market switch so I'm not sure our orignial switch comes apart like this. He sells this information thru his catalog. I see many information sheets in there costing $3.00 each and up.

Gary Parsons
Attachments:

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
02 Feb 2021 21:24 #42079 by uconn_1965
Jim: you are 100% correct. One thing I might add is before you start to soldier any wires, make sure you feed the 10 wires thru that round cardboard separator at rear of switch the keeps the wires separated from the shift pencil moving in and out when selecting gears.

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
02 Feb 2021 20:32 #42078 by JIM.OBRIEN
Pete - It's my understanding the steering column came in pre-wired. All the factory had to do we drop the column in place, bolt it up to the dash and plug in the connector at the firewall. I don't thing they every thought we would be rewiring them 85 years later.

Al - Don't worry about screwing it up, it's really tought to screw it up to the point of no return. Before you attach the wires take a good look at the contacts inside the switch and make sure they are not worn out. I have seen several that have holes worn in the contacts down inside the switch.

I see one of the contacts on the wafer is worn. Put the wafer on the pencil and put the pencil in the switch and make sure all three contacts on the wafer are hitting the face of the switch. I had one recently where one didn't make contact and it drove me crazy trying to find the problem (it didn't help the owner was sitting there watching).

When you solder the wires on start with the longest (the 4 wires that go to the face) wires first and work your way to the back triming the wires as you go so they lay in there neatly. Use enough solder to secure the wires on the terminal, but no a big glob. THen follow the testing I documented in the artilce. It may seam excessive but if you follow it you will catch any problems early and when you are done you know the switch is working properly and not giving you any problems.
JIm

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
01 Feb 2021 23:41 #42077 by 1748 S
I recall seeing a print made by Henry Portz once. In the second to last pic those brass pieces that fit thru the switch get pushed out. Then the wire is soldered into them. then they are pulled back into the switch. This print could have been from Stan or JK Howell too. I think I have it in my photo album. Will check later.

Gary Parsons

More
01 Feb 2021 23:36 #42076 by alsancle
Post some pictures Pete! The wires attached is cool if you are using the plug at the bottom of the column. I have no idea how you are supposed to get down there and solder with a supercharged car, however.

I'm really trying to come up with a way to disconnect the switch at the column. But I only get one shot with the harness I have and screwing it up would be catastrophic.

• pete kelly
  • Registered
More
01 Feb 2021 23:21 #42075 by pete kelly
Replied by pete kelly on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
I was interested in the procedure for pulling in new wires.
I found it strange that my NOS selector switch comes with the wires attached.
Any ideas how the factory suggested it be done?
Pete

More
01 Feb 2021 22:30 #42072 by alsancle
My buddy the Electrical engineer cleaned up our original selection switch. Here is the before and after.