Skip to main content

Geneva takes her time to start

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
24 Mar 2019 00:07 #36888 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Geneva takes her time to start
What a splendid report of getting you Cord back on the road. I bet other drivers sure were "looking her over" as you drove to the chick place...You must be very happy with all the work done too. Thanks so much for sharing too.I try to share and show pics of everything I do. Its not rocket science but sometimes I wonder... I'm no computer expert and sadly I have no idea how this post came out this color. Will have to ask wife or daughter... No idea where the red came from...

Gary Parsons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
23 Mar 2019 21:25 #36886 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Geneva takes her time to start
Hi Michael,
I'm glad to hear Geneva is running well! Keep using her regularly and you should have many miles of enjoyable motoring.

Also good luck with your "new" Speedster!
Jim

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
23 Mar 2019 21:08 #36884 by Jonathan Richards
Replied by Jonathan Richards on topic Geneva takes her time to start
Hello, Michael Ehrlich,
So pleased for you that after an harsh winter you have "Geneva" on the road again. The items you attended to appear to have done the trick. She is a great S/C Beverly and will give you much enjoyment. If the standard dual points distributor works I would stick with that vs. Petronics , but then I am just an old traditionalist. Good motoring and best regards to Geneva from a former custodian in Missouri, Jonathan (Jack) Richards #1080.

• RumRunner
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
23 Mar 2019 20:43 #36883 by RumRunner
Replied by RumRunner on topic Geneva takes her time to start
Fellow CordAholics,

Thanks to everyone who chimed in to help. I finally fixed my starting problem and took Geneva out today for the first time in three months. She performed flawlessly. Easy quick cold start followed by a 20 minute drive, then stopped to buy some lottery tickets, and she started up hot no problem. Then on to Chik-Fil-A to grab a quick bite, and Geneva started right up again afterwards. So all seems good in the world.

So here's what I took care of:
  • Rebuilt Fuel Pump
  • New points from Hagens
  • Points installed and synchronized by Jim Obrien (Thanks Jim!)
  • New spark plugs
  • New ignition coil (Bosch 6V model)

I also learned that I have excellent compression in every cylinder.

And if anyone is interested, I just purchased a Glenn Pray Auburn Boattail Speedster. I know it's a "2nd Generation", but probably as close as I'll ever get to owning a real one!

Thanks again to you all for your help!

-Michael

1937 Cord 812 Beverly S/C
Clarksville, MD
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
26 Feb 2019 03:46 #36758 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Geneva takes her time to start
You can fix it along side of the road.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
25 Feb 2019 05:17 - 25 Feb 2019 05:17 #36742 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Geneva takes her time to start
The whole World ran on points for eons - they work just fine - you stick your point feeler gauge in and adjust (not to say you never have problems, but if good enough for a farm tractor then ...).

JMM
Last edit: 25 Feb 2019 05:17 by johnmereness.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
25 Feb 2019 05:09 #36740 by mikespeed35
Many problems with old cars are caused by the owners trying to "improve" them. I'm as guilty as the next man.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• RumRunner
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
25 Feb 2019 02:28 #36737 by RumRunner
Thanks everyone for all your comments. Much appreciated!

I will likely replace the points AND get Pertronix to make me an electronic version (and maybe two!). Can't hurt. And Jim, perhaps I will take you up on your offer to set the synchronization - I'll PM you separately about that.

I've always wrestled with the "keep it original" vs. "make it safe and reliable", as often the two are at odds with other; not always, but often. I appreciate everyone's viewpoints.

And I had a wonderful chat with Mr. Peter Morgan in Montana - truly a wealth of Cord knowledge! He has rebuilt and restored many Cords, and seems to know just about everything about these wonderful automobiles. I'll definitely be calling him in the future.

Mr. Morgan did suggest that I test my compression to make certain all was good internally. I did, and got between 100-110 psi on all eight cylinders. Whew!

So again, thanks to all. I'll keep you updated as I make progress.

-Michael

Clarksville, MD
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonathan Richards

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
25 Feb 2019 02:02 #36735 by JIM.OBRIEN
OK Here are my 2 cents. First you don't have to worry about changing the timing. the timing is adjusting by losing the plate on the bottom of the distributor and rotating the distributor. If you leave the screw tight you won't change the timing. You can pull the distributor by removing the hex bolt on the plate and reinstall it without changing the timing.

I agree with Mike, if you are going to put a Pertronix system you better get two. They will fail and you will be stuck. I have heard of several of them failing.

The points are available from NAPA so it's not a big deal to change them. The gap spec in is the service bulletins. The big problem on duel point system is getting points synchronized. I've seen people do it but the best way is with a distributor machine. I have a distributor machine, if you want to send me your distributor I'll set the points for you and send it back. You can drop it right back in and the timing should be as it was.

The original system worked well. It just needs to be adjusted and cleaned once in a while. The one problem is after 80+ years someone may have screwed it up. Make sure you have the proper polarity on the coil (and the battery), the right size condenser, the correct spark plug wires, points, etc. If you have the wrong ones installed the system will work, but not as well as it should.

Jim

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
24 Feb 2019 22:23 #36731 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Geneva takes her time to start
Maybe Cords do, But a s/c Auburn will run with a non s/c distributor but with a noticeable lack of power. It isn't the dual points but different springs on the fly weights. I have been down that road.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
24 Feb 2019 21:09 #36729 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic Geneva takes her time to start
Let me throw in my two cents. If you don't plan on having your car judged, it's my experience that supercharged engine run fine with a single point standard distributor and points.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
24 Feb 2019 16:34 #36716 by 1748 S
Great idea to block open one set of points to "find" the set thats not working. It should be really easy to find the problem this way. Glad I have a single set in my 37 non supercharged engine.

Gary Parsons

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
24 Feb 2019 06:21 - 24 Feb 2019 06:23 #36714 by mikespeed35
If you are going pentrex I would get two modules. If it fails on the road your done!! I think you need to get a manual and reference books about point ignition systems and educate yourself on this matter. There is plenty of information available. To find the point set that is not working block one set open with a piece of paper and see which set of points it runs with, then the other is not working.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman
Last edit: 24 Feb 2019 06:23 by mikespeed35.

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
24 Feb 2019 01:27 #36709 by Jonathan Richards
Replied by Jonathan Richards on topic Geneva takes her time to start
As a former custodian of "Geneva" (32410S) I have to agree with Curt Schulze. "Keep it original." In doing so I am in disagreement with the counsel of Cordura ( my old Cord friend in Montana who swears by Pertronix conversions ). I am sure Rum Runner will figure this all out and get Geneva running soon. See you all on the road , Jack Richards in Missouri.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
24 Feb 2019 01:07 #36708 by Curt Schulze
If you need points I have some. They are the same as S/C Auburn.
Keep it original.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• Cordura
  • Registered
More
23 Feb 2019 17:23 #36702 by Cordura
Replied by Cordura on topic Geneva takes her time to start
Michael, call me any time, I'm usually at home or in the shop. Leave a message if you don' reach me and I'll call you back. Pertronix is a good outfit and I would have them fit their ignition to your distributor. Good points are hard to find these days. Cordura

• Cordura
  • Registered
More
23 Feb 2019 17:15 #36701 by Cordura
Michael, Peter Morgan (Cordura) here. I have several thoughts on your slow starting problem; too much to post here. If you like, call me on 406 842 7655.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
23 Feb 2019 17:04 #36700 by Curt Schulze
When your car was new it ran well w/o a Pretronix ignition. I suggest wires and a new distributor cap, if your points and plugs are new.

Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• RumRunner
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
23 Feb 2019 15:39 - 23 Feb 2019 15:42 #36698 by RumRunner
Cord Friends,

Here's an update. Still need help.
  • I ended up purchasing an electronic ignition module from Pertronix for a 6V positive ground car. I put in the base plate and module in the distributor, and then realized that the magnetic cam-shaft sleeve they sent didn't fit. And of course it didn't, because I ordered the wrong part!. So I called Pertronix only to find that they don't make a module for the Autolite IGH-4028 distributor (supercharged cords), only for the IGP-4006 (normally aspirated cars). But if I send them the distributor then they will make a custom module. A bit pricier, but not too bad. I may go this route. If I do, I'll ask on the forum if there are any other members that would want one, as it would be a special build for Pertronix and may as well make more than 1.
  • So since the electronic ignition was the wrong part, I carefully cleaned the points (and they are a bit pitted) and reinstalled the points/plate in the distributor, along with a new condensor, new ignition coil, and new spark plugs. I cleaned the distributor rotor as well. I did all this without removing the distributor itself or changing the timing (I hope - I did remove the entire points plate assembly for cleaning).
  • I tried starting the car again with similar results. When it did start, at idle it ran very roughly, and I could feel/hear the engine effort moving from the left side of the engine to the right, back and forth. With some gas it seemed to smooth out, but hard to tell as the RPM increased.
  • So I pulled all the plugs to see if I was getting spark. Turns out I'm getting good spark on 4 of my plugs. In firing order I'm getting spark on the underlined cylinders: 1L, 3L, 3R, 2L, 2R, 1R, 4L, 4R. So basically 2 cylinders on one side followed by 2 on the other, explaining the strong left/right sound and feel at idle. Also explains why starting is hard.
  • Given the firing order and the plugs I'm getting spark on, clearly one of the point sets isn't working, but I'm not certain which one. Any help here?[/l]

So clearly I need to replace my points, and then re-time, and probably need help doing so. I've never replaced points on any of my cars! Or is there something else I may be missing? If anyone has some instructions on how to replace the points and re-time, I'd love to see them. Or even better, how to replace the points and set the correct gap without the need to re-time! My plan is to order the dual point set from Hagen's Auto Parts and go to town. One burning question - how are the original points removed?

And should I send the entire distributor to Pertronix and have them make an electronic version to replace the points entirely? Any votes yes or no?

As always, I appreciate any help you all have to offer!

-Michael
Last edit: 23 Feb 2019 15:42 by RumRunner. Reason: spelling!

• RumRunner
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
20 Feb 2019 01:13 #36668 by RumRunner
Cordura,

It's been a busy several weeks. I hope to call you this Friday or Saturday. Are there particular times that work better than others for a call?

-Michael

• Cordura
  • Registered
More
19 Feb 2019 18:45 #36664 by Cordura
R R, I am familiar with this car (it has a very interesting history), and may be able to help you. Call me, if you like, on 406 842 7655. Cordura

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
20 Jan 2019 21:09 #36510 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Geneva takes her time to start - SUCCESS
Its nice to read you have fixed the staring issues. The cost was VERY reasonable too. I also like that you fixed other areas of concern too. Bet you have a satisfied feeling now. Surely its time to take a driving trip somewhere to enjoy the ride of these cars.

Gary Parsons

• RumRunner
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
20 Jan 2019 19:42 - 20 Jan 2019 19:49 #36509 by RumRunner
Replied by RumRunner on topic Geneva takes her time to start - SUCCESS
Good news to report! Success!

I sent my leaking fuel pump to Then & Now Automotive in MA to get rebuilt. They received it on a Friday morning and shipped it back to me the following Monday! Quick! Parts, labor, and shipping was $115. To me that's a bargain. So last weekend I reinstalled the fuel pump. In getting the fuel pump out, I also found that my copper hardline for vacuum between the top of the supercharger and the transmission must have had a pretty good leak. I was able to push in / pull out the copper tube about about 3/16" with my hands. So when I reinstalled the fuel pump I took care of that as well.

Yesterday I tried starting Geneva for the first time since I had the problem that started this thread. The fuel pump and bowl were completely empty of fuel, so it took 2 cranking sessions each about 15 seconds to get fuel into the system and get her started. But she did start! Today, I tried starting again after Geneva had sat for about 24 hours. Previously it would have taken minutes of cranking - today she started IMMEDIATELY! Like press the clutch and start! Woo-hoo! So seems like I fixed that problem.

I also changed the engine oil today and topped off the transmission oil. And while I was changing the engine oil, I took the opportunity to replace the oil plug with a Fumoto Quick Release Oil Drain Plug to make future changes easier. In case anyone is wondering, at least on Geneva, the oil pan thread size is 3/4"-14 NPT. So the Fumoto part number is T-201.

And today I also replaced the rubber transmission vacuum hoses. The old were dry and cracking and I was worried one would just fail.

So for now, all is well. Thanks to all for your thoughts.

Edit - tried to fix photos. No idea why they aren't all working.

-Michael

Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Jan 2019 19:49 by RumRunner.

• RumRunner
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
06 Jan 2019 03:33 #36363 by RumRunner
Thanks to everyone for your thoughts.

I took out the fuel pump and sent it to Then & Now Automotive to be rebuilt. Hoping to get it back and installed by the end of the month.

Now that it's out, is there anything else that folks typically address?

-Michael

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
27 Dec 2018 00:34 #36255 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Geneva takes her time to start
As a sidenote: I have not played around with Auburn and Cord Fuel Pumps (in sense that I have always rebuilt them prior to having the diaphragm go bad), but on the very few misc other cars I have had the diaphragm go bad, by the time fuel was noticed at the weep hole I also had a noticeable amount of gasoline in my oil (ie a few little bubbles of gas on disptick and could clearly smell it as well).

JMM

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
23 Dec 2018 12:33 #36219 by Curt Schulze
Ron Hewitt is out of the business of rebuilding carbs & pumps. He sold the business of rebuilding to Chris's Carb shop.
Chris's Carb Shop 7718 N. Main St Dayton OH 45415 877-498-2272 or 937-890-0970 kits carbs [email protected]

Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
22 Dec 2018 23:43 #36208 by 1748 S
Agreed.. The fuel pump needs rebuilding if fuel leaks from this tell tail hole. Best ship it to Daytona in Florida. Have them rebuild it for you.. All parts will be the new style fuel proof parts. At leaks you found the issue..
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnmereness

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
22 Dec 2018 23:13 #36207 by Curt Schulze
It occurs to me the diaphragm has been compromised by ethanol.

Be of Good Cheer
Curt
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S, johnmereness

• RumRunner
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
22 Dec 2018 19:47 #36204 by RumRunner
All - Thanks for your thoughts. I'll work my way through the electrical system (ignition / distributor / points / plugs) and the fuel system to get to the bottom of this.

When I started Geneva last weekend, I noticed something I hadn't seen before. After running for a bit and shutting the engine off, I was looking in the engine bay and noticed a fuel leak at or near the fuel pump. It was hard to get a close look with the car on the ground, so I moved Geneva over to my lift and raised her up. Today, I asked my son the crank the engine while I watched the fuel pump. I noticed a few things. First, after a few seconds of cranking, fuel seems to seep (or even flow) out of the hole on the underside of the fuel pump (at least that's where I believe it's coming from), flow down the pump body, and drip off the two back screw heads. When the engine is running the fuel stops leaking (at least for about 10 minutes I had Geneva running while on the lift). When the engine is shut off if begins leaking again for a minute or two, then stops. I took a video of this and posted on YouTube ( Click here for link ). Also included a picture here to show the hole I'm talking about. Is this normal?

Thanks for any thoughts you might have. And Merry Christmas to all!

-Michael

Attachments:

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
26 Nov 2018 22:33 #36020 by 1748 S
With all these good suggestions you at least have some ideas. Use them one at a time to rule out issues. Please do not just throw parts at it trying to fix it.Find the "problem" and fix that. It takes time but its so rewarding in the end.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
26 Nov 2018 21:20 #36019 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Geneva takes her time to start
I agree with Jim's comments "What has changed with the car in recent times?" When I said I had a similar problem with my Cord I should have explained that it needed extra cranking before starting but not the length of time you mentioned.
The electric fuel pump just speeded up the process. Maybe the valves in my fuel pump need replacing?
Another Cord out here needed excessive cranking to start it. One of the guys checked it out and found a loose wire at the ignition switch. After tightening ................ instant starting.
So the point is you will need further checking.

T cockerell

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
26 Nov 2018 01:12 #36017 by JIM.OBRIEN
Hi Michael,
I'll put my 2 cents in. First the car didn't used to have this problem so what has changed? Has any work been done on it lately?

Second it doesn't sound like an empty fuel problem. If the fuel is draining out of the carb. it wouldn't take as long as you describe to get the fuel up to the carb and once you did the engine would fire up and run, not cut out several times.

It sounds like you need to tart looking for another problem. First I'd check the timing, Second the points. Then the electrical system. Do you have the proper voltage to the coil, are you getting a good strong spark to the spark plug, etc.

This one may take some digging but I don't think the problem is getting gas to the carb.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
Jim

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
26 Nov 2018 00:29 #36016 by Jonathan Richards
Replied by Jonathan Richards on topic Geneva ( S#32410S )takes her time to start
Hello Again, Mike. I gave incorrect data in my message last evening. The supercharged Cord Model 812 engine uses a Stromberg AA-25 carb with 1 1/4" Dual Down Draft and 4 hole flange. The standard aspirated engine used the EE-15. The Air Horn , Main Body and Throttle Body assemblies are totally different. I have a service bulletin dated 4-15-1939 by Bendix Products Division of Bendix Aviation Corporation of South Bend , IN which I can copy and send to you if you will supply me a mailing address. Carry on.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
25 Nov 2018 18:06 #36015 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Geneva ( S#32410S )takes her time to start
I am unsure about Cords, but Auburns came with copper fuel lines. Copper was more expensive then as it is now, so there was a reason for using copper. It dissipates heat better. If it is hot in the engine compartment that heat is equalized with the rest of the line all the way back to the tank. This is the reason welding and cutting tips are copper, even though copper has a lower melting point than steel. Yes, copper does work harden. Anneal the flairs and the tubing will crush nicely. And the benefit of that is one small stem keeping the car original.

Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
25 Nov 2018 17:29 #36014 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Geneva ( S#32410S )takes her time to start
By the way, on the Auburn 851 it has an "in the tank" 12 volt Delco pump - it runs a couple pounds on 6 volt . Don Wohlwend, of Washington state designed for the Auburn and later his Cord Sportsman - advantage is the whole system is under pressure. I keep an extra though unfortunately do not know what the part number is.

JMM

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
25 Nov 2018 17:20 #36013 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Geneva ( S#32410S )takes her time to start
I never noticed it until perhaps 3 years ago, but now everything we have upon stopping it you can hear the fuel boil in the carb bowl - so now have an auxiliary electric pump on everything to get a prime going. Keep in mind in the 1930's too they had preheating gasoline on the brain and today you want just the opposite. I have been insulating the fuel lines from tank to carb (via wire loom: www.restorationstuff.com/featured3.html ) , wrapping the tailpipe up in the real axle hump and .... too (see same catalog page 27 for ceramic rope wrap or often just go to Pep Boys).

JMM

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
25 Nov 2018 16:52 #36011 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Geneva ( S#32410S )takes her time to start
Plenty of good suggestions given here. I believe you need to "fix the problem" before you ruin the starter. Mechanically I feel you are loosing your fuel prime in the carb. Try getting the engine ruining and then disconnect the fuel line to the carb. Fabricate a small container of gas and put the fuel line from the carb in that. Just make sure the open end of the line is below the surface of the fuel. Now wait a few days as if you have allowed the car to sit for a few weeks. If the fuel in the container disappears then you know the fuel pump check valves are allowing the fuel to return to the tank. A fuel system needs to be tight meaning no leaks. Think of a straw in fluid. you place a finger over the end and pull the straw out. Nothing leaks out. Remove the finger and everything drains out.

• RumRunner
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
25 Nov 2018 04:12 #36010 by RumRunner
Replied by RumRunner on topic Geneva ( S#32410S )takes her time to start
Thanks Mike, I agree it's way too long. Figure I have all winter to work it out. I don't plan on just adding an electric fuel pump to fix the problem - I'd like to understand the root cause and fix that first. That said, if the electric fuel pump can fix the issue, that may be what I resort to.
-Michael

• E L
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
25 Nov 2018 03:01 #36009 by E L
Replied by E L on topic Geneva takes her time to start
I have had similar problems of long cranking after setting.
The carb is empty and needs to be filled. Instead of an electric fuel pump, I have changed the fuel pump . Looks exactly the same but it has a hand "tickler" at the bottom so that you can manually pump fuel into the carb prior to cranking. Works perfect
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S, Rhammond1006000

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
24 Nov 2018 22:12 #36008 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Geneva ( S#32410S )takes her time to start
Electric fuel pumps should be as close to the gas tank as possible as they push, not pull fuel. I feel a gear rotor pump is best as they don't have a dia. thus no ethanol issues. I think you have another issue besides with fuel delivery you should diagnose before you just add a electric pump. 3 to 7 minutes of cranking is way too long. Carb. should be primed way before that.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• RumRunner
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
24 Nov 2018 21:28 - 24 Nov 2018 21:29 #36007 by RumRunner
Replied by RumRunner on topic Geneva ( S#32410S )takes her time to start
Jack, Terry,
Thanks for your comments. And yes Jack, I only noticed this within the past 2 months. Originally she started up just fine. As for the electric fuel pump, certainly easy enough to add. Do most folks plumb the electric pump in-line prior to the mechanical pump, or is there usually some sort of bypass plumbed in? And any recommendations on an electric fuel pump?

-Michael
Last edit: 24 Nov 2018 21:29 by RumRunner. Reason: spelling

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
24 Nov 2018 20:31 - 24 Nov 2018 20:32 #36006 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Geneva ( S#32410S )takes her time to start
Hi Michael.
I had similar problems with my Cord so I fitted an electric fuel pump for priming the system. The pump is switched on for 10 to 15 seconds to prime the system then switched off before starting. It certainly made the difference.
The electric fuel pump is the low pressure type. I found that on steep hills the engine would start to falter so I then switched the pump back on which brought the engine back on song. Some guys have the electric pump running all the time but I only use it for priming and occasionally on steep hills and leave it running on the mechanical pump normally.

T cockerell
Last edit: 24 Nov 2018 20:32 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Revising text

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
24 Nov 2018 17:27 #36005 by Jonathan Richards
Replied by Jonathan Richards on topic Geneva ( S#32410S )takes her time to start
Hello Michael Ehrlich of Maryland,
What you are reporting about starting problems with this Cord is totally alien to my experience during my period of custodianship of the machine. Even in an unheated Missouri garage in dead of winter I was able to start the engine with minimal cranking. Based on what you have described it is my opinion you may have a fuel flow problem. The carburetor on the engine at the time I owned the car was a conglomeration of the proper EE-25 Stromberg unit. The base casting was properly marked but the air horn , float chamber and choke parts were not totally correct. With the original cam driven fuel pump you would not have fuel pressure/flow to the carburetor except while starter cranking the engine. Though I am totally enamored with the Cord Models 810/812 I am basically just an amateur Model A Ford shade tree mechanic so take my comment with a grain of salt. Contact experts such as George Arakelian and Jim O'Brien to get reliable answers. Good luck with your trouble shooting.

• RumRunner
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
24 Nov 2018 16:53 #36004 by RumRunner
Geneva takes her time to start was created by RumRunner
Hello Friends!

I was hoping to get some help on a small annoyance I have with my 812 S/C Beverly (Geneva). Whenever I haven't driven the car for a few days and then try to start her, it takes somewhere between 3 and 7 minutes of cranking to get her to start. This is usually accomplished by cranking for no more than 20 seconds at a time, wait 5-15 seconds, and repeat until she starts. During that time, the engine cranks strongly (new-ish optima 6V battery with tender - always fully charged). When it finally fires and the startix cuts out the engine dies quickly. Repeat that 1-5 times (fire, quit), and then finally she starts and runs well.

So, are there specific things to check that can help reduce the time it takes to start? Am I slowly losing fuel prime each time I turn off the engine? Fuel pump (still original)? And to be clear - she always starts eventually and runs smoothly afterwards.

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

-Michael