What Series Trans is This

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
16 Nov 2018 03:45 #35975 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic What Series Trans is This
Thanks Jim. I have the addendum about the wrong and missing parts information. I also have "found" several areas that could benefit from revisions about the rebuilding. One thing comes to mind id the glass bushing in the oil pump. It is no longer made and I so far am unable to find anything to replace it with. I ended up using some 660 bronze. I talked to Henry Portz about three months before he passed and bronze was his recommendation. I actually thought about using cast iron for the bushing. Mcmaster Carr sells cast iron rods in a few different types.
Your help has been invaluable to be and I bet many others too on this trans. Thanks again.

Gary Parsons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
16 Nov 2018 01:16 #35974 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic What Series Trans is This
Gary, The transmission book was written over 30 years ago. Since then we have learned a considerable amount. Also there are several mistakes in the book. Also the transmission drawing has several parts missing and the shifting wiring diagram that everyone uses (or should be using) still has a mistake in it.
Jim

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
15 Nov 2018 05:50 #35972 by 1748 S
Once again... Thanks for this great information Jim. Reading the Ayers club booklet is confusing to say the least. The book tells us one thing but.. Its NOT exactly true. Now with your help I can say "I'm learning" and can pass it on to others . I'm sure you can see where and why I got confused on this.

Gary Parsons

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
15 Nov 2018 02:36 #35971 by JIM.OBRIEN
Gary, I have yet to see a bolt in a type 2 case. Also they all had the rectangular hole.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
14 Nov 2018 04:32 #35961 by 1748 S
Thanks Jim but.. Why do I not have the bolt on the passenger side and why do I have the rectangular hole for the oil pump.I realize the serial number fits and the numbers are on the drivers side rib. Am not sure about the rib item. What and where is a picture of this?

Gary Parsons

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
14 Nov 2018 01:47 #35960 by JIM.OBRIEN
You have type 2

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
13 Nov 2018 02:55 #35952 by 1748 S
This is from the club booklet my Ayers. I feel confused by the types.
Attachments:

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
12 Nov 2018 22:38 #35949 by 1748 S
What Series Trans is This was created by 1748 S
I'm confused as to the trans series I have. I was very careful exposing the numbers and other characters on my case.Can anyone tell me if this is actually a type 2, 3 or 4 case. My serial number tells me I have a type 2. I do NOT have the bolt to lock down the idler shaft but I do have the retangular oil hole for the trans grease or as some call it..Oil pump. Also I do not have the raised round oil pump hole. I worked on the case serial numbers hoping to "find" a VERY lightly stamped number..Nope... Nothing. It is as pictured.