Skip to main content

Head Bolts for Cords.

• Curt Schulze
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
17 Oct 2018 11:37 #35719 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Head Bolts for Cords.
Probably he plain heads pass because the 'W' was not available and that is what Stan had. Much like the aircleaners.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
16 Oct 2018 23:49 #35712 by RandyEma
Replied by RandyEma on topic Head Bolts for Cords.
Grind the markings off. I think judging std has dropped the B

• wynlaidig
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
16 Oct 2018 23:33 #35709 by wynlaidig
Replied by wynlaidig on topic Head Bolts for Cords.
According to the ACD judging standard, the head bolts are Cad plated 7/16-20 bolts with the thicker 5/16" high heads. They can be marked with a B, a W, or can have no markings at all. I was recently able to buy grade 9 bolts from Fastenal that had the thicker 5/16" heads. They come with markings, but they can be ground off and polished before Cad plating.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• Curt Schulze
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
15 Oct 2018 16:40 #35695 by Curt Schulze
If anyone is concerned about keeping their 810-812 original, I have new 'W' head bolts available.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
15 Oct 2018 16:27 #35694 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Head Bolts for Cords.

Jonathan Richards wrote: From a review of the 81/812 Engineering Changes notes your 1937 Cord Thanks for this interesting history on my car in general. Had forgotten my car was made or born in January of 1937. Once again the more I know the less I know about Cords. Still enjoy learning just the same. I think it was Josh Malks said once. Just when you think you have seen everything about these cars. something else comes up. Thanks..

Gary Parsons Model 812 Beverly was manufactured in late January, 1937. Cars with Serial Nos. 1746 and 31747 are shown in that time frame. The elimination of oil/water fill through the right cowl door began in May of 1936 per the same E.C. notes.

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
15 Oct 2018 03:08 #35689 by Jonathan Richards
Replied by Jonathan Richards on topic Head Bolts for Cords.
From a review of the 81/812 Engineering Changes notes your 1937 Cord Model 812 Beverly was manufactured in late January, 1937. Cars with Serial Nos. 1746 and 31747 are shown in that time frame. The elimination of oil/water fill through the right cowl door began in May of 1936 per the same E.C. notes.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
15 Oct 2018 02:44 #35688 by 1748 S
Thanks for the info Jim. My car has the plate. I have posted a pic of it here some time ago. I was told eventually the factory removed that part of the cowl stamping so no patch plate was needed. I have never looked for this on 37 cars made later in the year than mine.

Gary Parsons

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
15 Oct 2018 00:39 #35686 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Head Bolts for Cords.
Gary, They stopped using the cowl somewhere in the middle of 1936. for a short time the cars still had the tubes thru the firewall, then they eliminated the tubes and put plates over the holes.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
14 Oct 2018 03:37 #35680 by 1748 S
Thanks for this information Jim. I was looking at my head bolts for the original heads I have. I do not find any marks like you or I have posted. I recall something about some head bolts had no marks of any kind.It has been suggested that my car was built in 1936 but never sold. I believe I can show my car was built in 1937 somewhere around February or March. I have a smooth steering wheel and I have a metal patch covering the cowl filler area.Nothing on my engine shows any way the oil or coolant could be filled from the vent like the 36 cars had. The more I know.. The less I know...

Gary Parsons

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
14 Oct 2018 01:15 - 14 Oct 2018 01:15 #35679 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Head Bolts for Cords.
I have seen both W and B2 markings on original head bolts on Cords. It is my understanding these were manufacturers marks. At the time there were no standards for markings or strength.

For length you need to measure the height of the heads and the height of the gasket. There are several different heights of the heads and thickness of gaskets, so you need to check any installation. You also need to check the threads in the holes as many times the first couple of threads have been pulled or the bottom threads may have corroded.
Last edit: 14 Oct 2018 01:15 by JIM.OBRIEN.

• Curt Schulze
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
13 Oct 2018 18:06 #35678 by Curt Schulze
I feel confident that ALL 1931-1936 6&8 cylinder Auburns had 'W' head bolts. the 'W' is not stamped in the head of the bolt. It is raised.
I believe the technical term is embrossed . If 810-812 cords used the same 7/16 x 3.5 bolts, why wouldn't they used the same part. I have replaced many head bolts without markings or incorrect markings that were installed in the 40's-70's. I have three factory pictures clearly showing dark or black parkerized head bolts installed in 35-36 Auburns. I cannot speak to cad plated bolts on 810-812 Cords, but that is what I have.

Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
13 Oct 2018 18:02 #35677 by 1748 S
This is the information I received from Stan a few years ago.
Attachments:

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
13 Oct 2018 17:18 #35676 by 1748 S
I will dig out my bolt lengths and post them here later. Thanks for hopefully making new head bolts for the Cord engine. you might want to investigate the thickness of the new higher capasity heads because they require longer bolts than what was standard for the original heads.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
13 Oct 2018 17:10 #35675 by 1748 S
Original head bolt markings were NOT punched into the hex head. You can feel the marks above the heax head. Sorry I was not clear on my post. I have been told that many parts of the 810 812 Cord had different letter marks on the bolts that held items to the cars. I think it was Jim Obrian once told me some head bolts did not have any parks on them. I will have to dig out what I have later.

• Curt Schulze
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
13 Oct 2018 16:40 - 13 Oct 2018 17:05 #35674 by Curt Schulze
I forgot to attach the pix. What are the correct lengths for the other two sizes and how many each per car.

Be of Good Cheer
Curt
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Oct 2018 17:05 by Curt Schulze. Reason: update

• Curt Schulze
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
13 Oct 2018 16:38 #35673 by Curt Schulze
I think he means on the top of the head.
I have quite a number of factory forged W ,GR8 SZ730 ( 3.5 inches long) head bolts that are cad plated. I am considering cutting some down and offering them to 810-812 owners

Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
13 Oct 2018 15:25 - 13 Oct 2018 15:26 #35672 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic Head Bolts for Cords.
Gary: Not sure what you mean by "above the hex". Does that mean on the top of the crown? Similar to auburn?
Last edit: 13 Oct 2018 15:26 by ilikescars.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
13 Oct 2018 14:19 #35671 by 1748 S
Curt I believe the Lycombing Cord engine had 3 different length head bolts. They had a "W" on them and they were Cad plated as per Stan. This "W" marking was not imprinted in the hex. It was above the hex. That makes it very difficult to re- produce but can be done just the same. Original head bolts will not work with the new heads that have the larger coolant capacity. I think original heads are available . They are new manufacture too. Not NOS..

Gary Parsons

• Curt Schulze
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
13 Oct 2018 13:18 #35670 by Curt Schulze
Brian shows four part numbers.
Didn't the originals have a 'W' on the head ?
Were original 810-812 head bolts cad plated or parkerized?

Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
13 Oct 2018 12:39 #35669 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic Head Bolts for Cords.
Curt: There are 3 sizes. I recently bought a set from Brian Joseph, but then found out that my existing bolts were larger diameter.
Must have been drilled and re-tapped at some point. Joseph has the bolt lengths on his website.

• Curt Schulze
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
13 Oct 2018 11:55 #35668 by Curt Schulze
Head Bolts for Cords. was created by Curt Schulze
How many head bolts and different lengths do 810 - 812 Cords use ? Are any longer than 3.75?

Be of Good Cheer
Curt