Skip to main content

Trans 2nd 3rd Gear Synchro.

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
05 Oct 2018 02:03 - 05 Oct 2018 02:04 #35582 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Trans 2nd 3rd Gear Synchro.
Gary,
It sounds like your transmission had a poor rebuild at some point and then blew up. I really think you need to send the whole transmission (not just the upper shaft) to someone that has rebuilt a bunch of these transmissions and really understands them and know what to check after they blow up. These aren't like most manual transmission, rebuilding them is very different and it must be done properly so the Cord has a chance at shifting properly.

From what you have said I don't know why you need a different 2/3 syncronizer - during the rebuild will tell you. If you need one I think I have some.
Jim
Last edit: 05 Oct 2018 02:04 by JIM.OBRIEN.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
04 Oct 2018 14:33 - 04 Oct 2018 14:37 #35574 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Trans 2nd 3rd Gear Synchro.
Thanks for the speedy reply Jim. I really appreciate the help. When I opened my trans I found the springs and ball bearings in the 2nd 3rd gear synchro missing. The second gear synchro clutch was missing about 20% and was spinning in the gear.The bottom cluster gear was new.One of the shift fork set screws was broken. The grease pump was opened and the gears replaced but..The drive bushing in the bottom of the case was never installed but machined out as it was waiting for the bushing. The case was spotless.No pieces of gear or synchro springs anywhere. so yes...Someone long before me has been inside but they did a poor half way job of rebuilding. At this point I think I will purchase a replacement 2nd 3rd gear synchro and the replacement 5/16 heavy splined thrust washer even though it will be 12 thousands wider than my sleeve slot. I can machine the sleeve or surface grind down the thrust washer easily to fit. The really sad part is I have nothing to compare parts to. After Hershey I may sent the top shaft with gears installed to a known quality re builder in our great club. I'm resisting crying Uncle at the present.Too much pride I guess...
Gary Parsons
Last edit: 04 Oct 2018 14:37 by 1748 S.

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
04 Oct 2018 02:05 #35567 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Trans 2nd 3rd Gear Synchro.
Gary,
It sounds like someone has already been in your transmission and modified it. Exactly what they did I can't say without inspecting the transmission. Before the transmission manual was written there a lot of people all "rebuilding" the transmission their own way - which were all different. The manual kind of standardized it. There are a couple of things that are wrong in the manual and there is some stuff that can't be put in the manual, it requires experience.

You are going to need to measure all the components carefully and determine what was done previously and what is needed to successfully rebuild it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
03 Oct 2018 23:27 #35565 by 1748 S
Trans 2nd 3rd Gear Synchro. was created by 1748 S
As many know, I have been actively rebuilding my transmission. I have purchased several gears from a couple of members. thanks guys. Well I "found" an issue I had overlooked. My thick 2nd 3rd gear slotted thrust washer is NOT normal. It measures .300. Stock factory was 3/16 measuring .187. Now that's not really bad but.. the synchro needs to be cut to a specific thickness and it was not.The club booklet by A.S. Ayers tells me the factory thickness is 1.142 to 1.145.. Well mine is 1.156..How did that happen??? If I was to install the modified 3/8 thick washer I know what to cut from the sleeve and the synchro. My question is why does my synchro measure so much larger than factory stock and.. How could it shift with the thicker washer in there? Remember stock washer was .187 and mine is .300. Just under 5/16 5hick. Having never been in these transmissions before I'm really confused. Can anyone help? Thanks...
Gary Parsons