Skip to main content

Cord Westchester Wiper Motor Surrounds

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
25 Aug 2018 14:37 #35263 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Cord Westchester Wiper Motor Surrounds
I never heard "Put the cat amongst the pigeons". I like it!
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
06 Aug 2018 19:09 #35167 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic Cord Westchester Wiper Motor Surrounds
Hi Jim: This is a great way to get access to the wiper motors after the car upholstery is finished. It would be nice if judges didnt deduct
any points for this modification for those folks who want their car judged....>Cliff

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
06 Aug 2018 14:21 #35166 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Cord Westchester Wiper Motor Surrounds
When I restored my sedan I took the large plates that cover the wiper motors and covered them with left over headliner material. Then took the headliner and carefully cut it tucked it in the large hole. Then screwed the plate in place and painted the screws maroon (to match the head liner color). Finished it off with the knobs and finish plate (small oval chromed plate). It hid it well and looked pretty good. In 20 years of driving the car the wipers still worked so I never needed to use the access. Sorry no photos, the car has moved on down the road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
06 Aug 2018 14:19 #35165 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Cord Westchester Wiper Motor Surrounds
Truth is the original wiper motors were vacuum powered. They worked well if the vacuum system was tight. Really nothing wrong with a vacuum wiper system. Am not sure who or where your car had the headliner installed but..It does not appear to be correct material. It appears to be a synthetic material and not clothe material.I'm not sure is any sedans ever had a leather headliner but sedans did have leather interiors.Other members may open this up some..

More
06 Aug 2018 13:22 #35164 by [email protected]
Now you have really put the cat amongst the pigeons! I had presumed they were 6v electric. My first car, a 1953 ford popular had vacuum wipers, and for sure, I won’t be going down that route.

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
06 Aug 2018 13:15 #35163 by Jonathan Richards
Replied by Jonathan Richards on topic Cord Westchester Wiper Motor Surrounds
Hello, Mervyn: Thanks for posting photo images of your car's wiper configuration. These two units, one Trico and one Bosch , appear to be electrically operated. I am sure you know that the original Trico wiper "motors" were actuated by vacuum from the engine , fed by rubber hoses from the engine compartment. Let us know how you handle your dilemma.

More
06 Aug 2018 12:01 #35162 by [email protected]
Finally I get the picture! I been offered replacement wipers and cover plates from another club member, so will now be able to restore to original (although I will still have to make final cover plates to hide the big holes in the headlining! Attached picture of the mess that has been the subject of so many messages flying back and forth Thank you to everyone who joined in.
Mervyn
Attachments:

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
06 Aug 2018 08:34 #35161 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Cord Westchester Wiper Motor Surrounds
The switches and speed controls are above the windshield openings on each side. See the attached picture.

T cockerell
Attachments:

More
06 Aug 2018 04:50 #35160 by [email protected]
Or as in the case of my car, you just cut two big holes in the headliner, put in oversize wiper motors and then throw away the cover plates! The wipers work, but what a mess! Thanks for the information, though, because up until now, I was presuming that the cover plates went on the outside of the head lining. Where are the switches for the wipers? Mine are on the wiper motors themselves behind the sun visors.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
06 Aug 2018 01:27 #35159 by 1748 S
Thanks for the great information on the headliner Velcro possibilities Jim. To further explain my cars history... Mr Hamlin owned it first. Then a Don Finnicum owned it next. Dad purchased from him in 1961. Glen Pray did not have anything to do with the Tuckers as far as I know. I do recall Stan Gilliand of Kansas fame was the first person to put together a Tucker club and I believe he is still the Historian but not sure bout that. This was in around the mid 1950s. I do know some of the first Tucker cars used a standard Cord trans. they went to every wrecking yard near and far buying all of them. The later Tuckers had its own design transmission that "looked" like a Cord trans but it was not. It was longer and had larger gears and a synchro on first gear. Funny how I can remember these things but can't seem to remember everything the wife wants on takeout food. I suffer from C.R.S. Can't remember something...

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
05 Aug 2018 23:50 #35156 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Cord Westchester Wiper Motor Surrounds
Hi Michael,
Sometimes when people have restored sedans they put zippers, velcro or a cut out in the head liner(these are hidden by the sun visors) so the wiper motors can be accessed without ripping out the headliner. Hopefully your car has one of these. If not you have to pull the piping around the windshields, then remove the headliner material at the windshield. The headliner will then roll back to the first piping on the roof and you can access the plates and the wiper motors.
Good Luck, Jim

• Michael R
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
05 Aug 2018 07:21 #35150 by Michael R
Replied by Michael R on topic Cord Westchester Wiper Motor Surrounds
interesting connection to tucker: isn´t it said, that the first 18 Tucker where built with a Cord 810 transmission? Also interesting, that Glenn Pray was involved, I could not find that much information here about this greatest Cord collector of all times... but

back to started theme. I´m reading these posts with interest, cause my "contracted and payed" 810 will hopfully soon be shipped to Germany and it has some rust and dents on the roof, so that I think I will have to remove the wipers with not destroying the hedliner or something else. Are there some additional advices to do that (not do that)?

best regards from Germany
Michael

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
04 Aug 2018 22:35 #35147 by 1748 S
In my assortment of parts I have two ash trays from a Tucker car. They have been parts of the parts that came with the Beverly way back in 1961.Our car was owned by the past president of the Tucker car club from 1949 to about mid 1950. His name was Mr. Hamlin. Randy Ema knew him well. When Randy visited my home and shop a couple of years ago he asked why I had those ash trays. He told me what they were from. I showed him the paperwork Mr. Hamlin had from Mr. Winslow who purchased all the cord parts. He sold all that to Glenn Pray later on. That sale was an interesting venture in its own too. I meticulously keep records of everything.

More
04 Aug 2018 21:23 #35146 by [email protected]
You must have an interesting parts box
MBL

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
04 Aug 2018 16:16 #35145 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Cord Westchester Wiper Motor Surrounds
So THAT's what those plates in the part box are!
--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

• FREDERICK.BRAUN
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
02 Aug 2018 19:19 #35140 by FREDERICK.BRAUN
Replied by FREDERICK.BRAUN on topic Cord Westchester Wiper Motor Surrounds
Picts attached. I have this complete setup for sale. Email at rbraun0510@gmail if you need anything for the Westchester. Cheers Bob
Attachments:

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
01 Aug 2018 22:54 #35137 by Terry Cockerell
Hello Mervyn. Do you know the other Cord owning ACD Club members in the UK ?
I have an early Westchester that had been sold new in Canada which is known as the Actonite Cord.
My email address is [email protected]

T cockerell

More
01 Aug 2018 11:01 #35135 by [email protected]
Hi Terry
Just what I was looking for, I can make new ones from here.
Many thanks
Mervyn

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
01 Aug 2018 09:22 - 01 Aug 2018 09:24 #35134 by Terry Cockerell
The cover plates that Jack Richards spoke of are made from thin sheet metal. I had to make one new one so I still have one of the originals .................. somewhere . Attached is a picture of the area in question in one of the rare RHD Cords sold in Australia.
I will have a look for the one I replaced.

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Aug 2018 09:24 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Revising text

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
01 Aug 2018 00:11 #35131 by Jonathan Richards
Replied by Jonathan Richards on topic Cord Westchester Wiper Motor Surrounds
Dear Sir: The body structure component about which you inquire is , I believe , common to all closed models of the Cord Models 810/812. To block or face off the opening in the wooden roof structure above the two windshields , a cut out hole into which the windshield wipers recess , there are thin metal plates ( my memory indicating about 2" x 4" ) are tacked into the wooden cross member of the roof structure and cover the wiper motors. These are installed prior to the installation of the cloth headliner. The Cord Parts List appears to identify these as Part Numbers G 6842 and 43 , beinf R.H. and L.H. Wiper control Plates. These are as stated above thin ferrous plates which would be easily replicated. You need to find a Cord owner who will allow you to copy the pattern. Lots of luck, Jack Richards.

More
30 Jul 2018 20:31 #35114 by [email protected]
Hello.
Can anyone please post pictures of the wiper motor surrounds behind the sun visors. Mina are missing and just very untidy holes with the roof lining coming unstuck. II have trawled online for pictures, but obviously this is not a very photographed area! Also being in the UK no other cars locally to look at.
Thanks in advance
Mervyn