Getting to those taillight bulbs

• RumRunner
  • RumRunner's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum User
  • Forum User
More
18 Jul 2018 21:43 #34986 by RumRunner
RumRunner created the topic: Getting to those taillight bulbs
It's hard to believe that I'm even asking this question, but how do I access the rear taillight/stoplight bulbs in my 1937 Beverly? I see that there are two nuts that appear to hold the taillight housing to the body, but when I remove those nuts nothing budges. Not a whisker! Does the assembly pull out from the body lens and all? Is there a cover on the inside of the body that removes leaving the lens/trim ring in place? Hoping for some know-how from the smart folks here before I try to force something and end up unhappy.

Thanks all,

-Michael

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2018 22:11 #34988 by uconn_1965
uconn_1965 replied the topic: Getting to those taillight bulbs
Dark Ruby glass lens has to come out to change the bulb inside and it's easier said than done.
Very easy to either break or chip the lens in it's removal. What makes it hard is that time has frozen the parts together.
The lens is held in place by the stainless steel ring around the lens. Inside the housing there are 3 butterfly spring clips that
push the lens up against the stainless steel ring. I spray WD40 around the stainless ring. If you are lucky, when you gently push in
the lens, it will move in slightly. Don't push too hard or you can crack the lens. You will notice there is a split in the stainless retainer ring.
When you gently push in the lens near this split in the ring, you have to start to pry out the ring by pushing it to the inside and then work
you way around the lens. When the ring is removed, you then can remove the lens and have access to the bulb. As you remove the stainless ring, be careful that the lens doesn't fall out. Reverse the procedure to put everything back together again. Good Luck.....Cliff

• RumRunner
  • RumRunner's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum User
  • Forum User
More
18 Jul 2018 22:37 #34989 by RumRunner
RumRunner replied the topic: Getting to those taillight bulbs
Cliff,

Thanks for the description. Essentially the same construct as the headlights. Now I understand how changing the bulbs jeopardizes the lenses! I’ll be very careful!

-Michael

• Terry Cockerell
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
19 Jul 2018 00:29 - 19 Jul 2018 00:31 #34990 by Terry Cockerell
Terry Cockerell replied the topic: Getting to those taillight bulbs
The springs are really too strong for the application. I reduced the tension by carefully reducing the spring size, grinding the sides and tip. This makes it much easier to depress the glass lens. It is a good idea to paint the inside the the light shell white for brighter lights. Also there is a frosted glass at the back to illuminate the trunk at night. Replacement mirrors help here to make the tail lights brighter at night. Brighter globes help too.

T cockerell
Last Edit: 19 Jul 2018 00:31 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Type error

More
19 Jul 2018 03:32 #34992 by 1748 S
1748 S replied the topic: Getting to those taillight bulbs
Tomorrow I can post some pics of the removed tail light pieces. Yes... That stainless steel ring is difficult to remove. Way back in 1967 my dad and I tried to remove the drivers side tail light lens. We got the stainless steel ring off but nothing happened till... It popped out hitting my Dad in the chest, then to the garage floor.. you bet it broke into several pieces. So please put down anything soft like a large blanket just in case it pops out. Those springs Terry talked about are actually a doubled up type flat spring. Many times they are rusted out and useless. Someone on ebay sells replacements too. I will supply the seller later. Someone recommended removing the three double spring packs and using only one per area. There is no reason to remove the complete bucket from the car body to replace a bulb but it might be a safer way to clean one up and paint inside white like suggested. The frosted lens in the bottom of the bucket is to light up the dark trunk at night but of course you must have the head lights on too.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
19 Jul 2018 03:41 #34993 by mikespeed35
mikespeed35 replied the topic: Getting to those taillight bulbs
Hot rod shops sell 50CP tail light bulbs. Don't use them unless you want to change bulbs a lot. They get so hot they melt the stock holding the filament. They are bright though.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.065 seconds