New Membership Platform: Membee

The ACD Club is rolling out a new online membership system. All ACD Club Members should have receivied an email with enrollment instructions. You will use your email address as your login, and select a new password. This account will be used to renew your membership, update membership information, and make changes to your membership record.

This account is NOT THE SAME as your current account which you use to access the ACD Website Forums. Please continue to log into the Forums with the same username and password as you have always used. In the future we may consolidate the two accounts.

810 door sill plates

More
27 Jun 2018 05:10 #34842 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic 810 door sill plates
My experience polishing aluminum depends on the metal quality. No telling what the aluminum composition was for the original metal was.You can get an inexpensive buffing wheel and some compound from many places. Harbor Freight has bout the least expensive.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wcoye
  • wcoye's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
27 Jun 2018 18:33 #34847 by wcoye
Replied by wcoye on topic 810 door sill plates
Thanx! I ordered a power ball and mothers metal scratch remover last night. May follow up with Mothers Aluminum and Mag polish if it looks like it will make a difference. Will report back with results

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A
Brag line: Winner of the
2014 Hillsborough Concurs Strother MacMinn award

• Terry Cockerell
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
27 Jun 2018 21:18 #34848 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic 810 door sill plates
Your question has created some doubts in my mind as to the true original surface finish of these aluminium plates. Highly polished certainly looks great and that is what I have seen in cars being judged in Auburn although I have only been to Auburn twice. Perhaps we need a confirmation from the ACD Judges. Polished aluminium looks great but it is also very easily marked.

T cockerell
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonathan Richards, 1748 S

• wcoye
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
28 Jun 2018 14:36 #34851 by wcoye
Thanks Terry and very good point. Judges, what say ye?

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A

• Terry Cockerell
More
30 Jun 2018 06:00 #34858 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic 810 door sill plates
Bill I have been in contact with Rick Hulett who drew my attention to a picture of the hard topped Cord coupe on page 176 of The Timeless Classic. The door is open on the coupe and the sill plate is seen to be shining brightly. So polished it is.

T cockerell

• wcoye
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
30 Jun 2018 13:37 #34860 by wcoye
Urgh! Well I worked about an hour on one rear sill plate and it looks ok. But not any better than ok. It has a couple of sizable/deep black pits that I think are too far gone to sand out. Gonna try a Dremel pointy coned shaped felt pad and see if I can clean the pits out. Otherwise I'm going to have "ok" looking sills and live with it. My not trying to make her into a show queen, just a honest girl.

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds