3rd gear

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
20 Jun 2018 00:56 - 20 Jun 2018 00:58 #34783 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic 3rd gear
Hi Bill,
You also need to check if it is going all the way into 3rd gear. Pull the front bumper and the trans cover off and have someone shift the car while you watch. The lever should go all the towards the rear, almost hitting the transmission case. Compare it to how far back the lever goes when the transmission goes into 1st gear. It should be the same amount of reward movement.

If you have any questions on either of these checks give me a call, my number is in the directory.
Jim
Last edit: 20 Jun 2018 00:58 by JIM.OBRIEN.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
20 Jun 2018 00:38 #34782 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic 3rd gear
check to see if the interlock mechanism on the driver side of the transmission is adjusted correctly, If you don't have
a transmission with the interlock, it's a big job but you an modify your early transmission case to accept one or you can buy a 1937 case,
The interlock mechanism was added during production to keep the transmission from jumping out of gear....good luck

• wcoye
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
19 Jun 2018 20:30 #34780 by wcoye
3rd gear was created by wcoye
Hi, every time I get something on my Westchester sorted out another problem pops up. The joy of old cars.
Problem: She shifts almost effortlessly BUT slips out of third gear 90% of the time. Any suggestions if there is anything a guy with a modicum of machanical knowledge do to fix this or will it be a trip to the shop.......which it self i s problematical no one in Raleigh has ever seen a Cord let alone worked on one

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A
Brag line: Winner of the
2014 Hillsborough Concurs Strother MacMinn award