Skip to main content

Number of 810/812 Cords Produced

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
14 May 2005 15:45 #3137 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Number of 810/812 Cords Produced
Out of the nearly 3000 810/812 cars apparently built, is there any information as to 1) how many are KNOWN to remain, 2) how many are KNOWN to have been destroyed, and 3) how many are simply UNKNOWN as to their disposition?

I believe my car was likely an "unknown" until 1980 when I obtained the car and joined the club.

-Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
20 Oct 2004 16:10 #2398 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic Cord Production Numbers
ACD Forum,

Al light inquired about the number of Cord 810/812's produced.
Many sources list the cars from registration figures from each state or the L.K. Polk co. Which used this data to sell accessories to new owners. These are not manufactured automobile numbers but registration of cars in the United States in 1936 & 1937 by make.
From Auburn auto company records, Mr. Don Butler, domestic sales department shows in his figures from August 1935 thur September 1937 as 2992 Cords of all models being built.
Also, found in company records compiled by maurice close in accounting that at the close of business September 1, 1937, 2830 Cords had been shipped. This did not include any early handbuilt, proto type, expermintal or show cars that were still stock.
I believe that from high & low engine numbers, 3217 engines were built. These include standard, supercharged & perhaps some stock for replacement. There is proof that some early engines were recycled by adding a 4th digit to their low 3 digit engine number.
To me all this adds up that something just short of 3000 Cords were built in the late series. Also, often times, the statistics leave out the 132" wheel base Cords from the count which makes the production numbers low. There longwheel base Cords took a couple of tries to get built & finally out the door.

Stan

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Al Light
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
19 Oct 2004 12:48 #2385 by Al Light
Number of 810/812 Cords Produced was created by Al Light
I keep seeing various numbers for the 810/812 production units: Some as high as 3000. The E. L. Cord large book, "An Automobile Quarterly Commeritive Marque" published by Automotive Quarterly lists the number of units produced. This list shows 1174 810's and 1149 812's built, Making a total of 2323. The source of this information is listed as Automotive Industries. Can anyone confirm or add to this subject?