Skip to main content

Painting A Cord In Special Colours To Special Order

• Thomas Wilcock
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
25 Sep 2017 10:34 #33602 by Thomas Wilcock
Replied by Thomas Wilcock on topic Painting A Cord In Special Colours To Special Order
Terry
The fellow I got my Cord from bought it around 1950 or earlier. He drove it for a few years and parked it in his barn in 1953 where it remained until I got it in 2004. He had purchased it from the son of the Pruyn Bearing Company president. I don't know whether it was purchased new or used. I don't know if the owner of a successful bearing company would buy his son a used car. I found a Pruyn Bearing Company pencil under the front floor carpet (what was left of the carpet) so that adds credibility to what I was told. The son drove the car and later had the engine "rebuilt". I found that the "rebuilder" did not have any of the rod caps on the proper rods and added shims inder the babbited main bearing shells.
Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
24 Sep 2017 11:39 #33597 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Painting A Cord In Special Colours To Special Order
Hi Thomas.
Rick Hulett has seen many variations in upholstery combinations of what he believes were original cars. Yours appears to be another example. It certainly agrees with the Teefy Seltz dealer document. There must be some "paint examples" out there amongst the un-restored Cords. Then maybe they have all been repainted along the way ?
How far back can you go with the history of ownership ?
Thanks,
Terry

T cockerell

• Thomas Wilcock
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
24 Sep 2017 10:29 #33596 by Thomas Wilcock
Replied by Thomas Wilcock on topic Painting A Cord In Special Colours To Special Order
I am glad you brought up this subject. My 1937 812 Phaeton (renumbered 1936) has the original interior and upholstery ( what is left of it). It is NOT leather but a cloth backed leatherette. As near as I can tell, the original paint color of my car was grey. The original interior is a brown color, not the blue that the brochures say it is supposed to be. I am sure the factory would paint a car any color a customer wanted. Likewise they would probably use any interior color or fabric for the customer. The 2 previous owners of my car were in the Philadelphia area.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
21 Sep 2017 10:21 #33594 by Terry Cockerell
A document from the Teefy Seltz dealer in Philadelphia was discovered many years ago by Rick Hulett that listed paint and trim
options for 810 Cords. The date of this document was March 2nd 1936. A copy is attached.
My question is this "Would any of the members out there have any similar information from other sources?"
I am of the opinion that it was possible to order a Cord in non standard colours. Hopefully there is more material out there to support this. I would be pleased to correspond with anybody on this issue.

T cockerell
Attachments: