Skip to main content

812 water pump removal, how to?

• trimacar
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
12 Jul 2017 14:29 #33266 by trimacar
Replied by trimacar on topic 812 water pump removal, how to?
Perfect thank you! I didn't know if the radiator had to come out for access. I also didn't see the belt adjuster, so will look for that.
I'd heard the warning about the backing plate, thanks for reminder....I plan to remove this week and get to someone for rebuilding...thanks David Coco Winchester Va.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
12 Jul 2017 14:03 #33265 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic 812 water pump removal, how to?
I did this twice back in 1976 so might be rust on how to. Start by draining the coolant. Then remove the 4 hoses. Two returns and one lower large supply. Then just leave the hose without clamps that feeds intake manifold. Now remove fan. Next loosen belt adjuster behind pump. Finally remove the 4 bolts holding pump to bell housing and lift off. If I forgot something I hope others will correct me. Please do not attempt removing the pump back plate. I ruined mine because of all the years of rust inside the pump. Stan rebuilds them. So does Henry Portz. Might be many more members too.

• trimacar
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
12 Jul 2017 11:59 #33263 by trimacar
812 water pump removal, how to? was created by trimacar
My '37 Cord needs the water pump rebuilt. I'm sure it's old hat to most members, but I've never removed a water pump from a Cord, so unsure how to start. Could someone tell me the basics, what needs to be removed and in what order? And how to best access the pump? thanks David Coco Winchester Va. [email protected]