Skip to main content

Cord 810/812 Gas Tanks

• STEVEN.KUIPER
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
07 Sep 2017 12:24 #33519 by STEVEN.KUIPER
Replied by STEVEN.KUIPER on topic Cord 810/812 Gas Tanks
did anyone take any pictures of these at auburn? if yes, could they be posted here?
all the best, steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Sheldon
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
22 Aug 2017 23:07 #33453 by Sheldon
Replied by Sheldon on topic Cord 810/812 Gas Tanks
Hi...our tooling is done and stamped the first cord tank today...it looks extremely close to original tank and has all the ribs, baffles, suction tube etc - the holes for the fill tube, sender and drain bung are in place an reinforced too....hoping to get this one welded up etc in time to take it to Auburn and should have pricing etc then too

• STEVEN.KUIPER
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
25 Jul 2017 21:54 #33329 by STEVEN.KUIPER
Replied by STEVEN.KUIPER on topic Cord 810/812 Gas Tanks
a couple questions. any idea as to price? would it include the spout ? are the spouts different for sedan & phaeton?

More
08 Jul 2017 17:24 #33238 by acdnut
Replied by acdnut on topic Cord 810/812 Gas Tanks
Hi Sheldon, I am looking for a new gas tank, prefer stainless as they will not rust out nearly as fast. It does not bother me if the crimp lines are there, just an oval stainless tank with welded seams about 34" appx wide. This is a safety thing that does not bother me about being original, last thing I need it a 80 year old tank springing a leak in a closed garage. I had gas in my tank and it rotted the top out, I put it outside and someone shot a hole in it. I had a stainless aux tank that went through the same seasoning without any damage. I just need a simple oval stainless tank appx the same size and filler neck that original straps will fit. I was thinking of having a batch of tanks made up here in this oil town by someone in the oil and gas tank business this should be no problem.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
07 Jul 2017 23:03 #33237 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Cord 810/812 Gas Tanks
Sounds like a big adventure. Have to ever looked at the original design? They have 2 baffels inside that are soldiered to the top and bottom of the tank. Then there is the suction. The copper line is soldered to the top and bottom of the tank. My suction was plugged up so I really worked hard getting it apart. My tank was leaking gas from the fill spout flange so.. someone foolishly soldered the pipe to the flange to the tank WITH the sheet metal screws still in the flange to tank.. I "made up" a CO2 barrier by dropping 3 lbs of dry ice into the tank with about 4 gallons of water. I wore plenty of cotton clothes and welding gloves and a full face shield that wrapped around my face. Tested the fill spout with flame after watching the CO2 flow out of it. No explosions seen or felt. The CO2 blanket worked fine. No fuel has been in my tanks since 1949 when the car came off the roads for unknown reasons.

• Sheldon
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
07 Jul 2017 18:45 #33236 by Sheldon
Cord 810/812 Gas Tanks was created by Sheldon
Hi - I'm looking at making a small batch or reproduction 810/812 gas tanks - have family members in the tooling + stamping business and can call in a big favour - these would be very similar in appearance to stock tanks with embossed ridges etc - the edges would be tig welded not crimped like factory - anyways if there is interest out there please let me know as this will be a one time thing....Thanks! Sheldon