Skip to main content

Radiator level

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
17 May 2017 15:30 #32983 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Radiator level
I agree with Randy - basically, every car is different.

Everything I have ever owned or worked on has when cold had coolant over the top of the radiator fins.

In the experimentation phase I have at times made quasi loose fitting funnels to help keep frame and undercarriage clean on high point cars. I generally take a much larger tube, poke a hole in it and zip tie through hole to something (always have been hesitant to make something tight fitting on overflow tube as that would extend the overflow tube length and I am sure someone will tell me that is an engineering do not do.

And, if you are getting too much variable over time, I would be giving some thought to if you are getting antifreeze in your oil, antifreeze going out the exhaust, or .... (the joys of an aluminum head car).

JMM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
15 May 2017 21:49 #32958 by RandyEma
Replied by RandyEma on topic Radiator level
Hello. Fill the radiator full let it get good and warm a couple of times ,and let it expand after that keep your coolant to that level . Usually 1/3 to1/2 full or where ever it has seeked its level .r
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• wcoye
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
15 May 2017 20:59 #32957 by wcoye
Radiator level was created by wcoye
How full should my radiator tank be when cold? I currently have 2 3/8" head space.

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A
Brag line: Winner of the
2014 Hillsborough Concurs Strother MacMinn award