Skip to main content

Glenn Prey Sportsman.Help!

More
01 Jan 2005 03:26 #2650 by jjpilot
Replied by jjpilot on topic 8/10 Cord
you are correct that 92 production Pray-Mckinley Cords were produced.

They were produced by the Cord Automobile Company. The rights to the company and many parts of the ACD were purchased by Pray. As such the ID plate does indeed say Cord.

The 8/10 was re-proportioned with the help of Gordon Buehrig, and the first production car was given to him.

I am the owner of that car, serial #1, which was purchased by my granddad in Auburn in '72.

If any of you knew Fred Bauer, please let me know.

Jeff Bauer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• moodier
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
02 Oct 2004 03:05 #2305 by moodier
Replied by moodier on topic Glenn Prey Sportsman.Help!
Thanks for shedding some more light on the topic here!Sounds like this one is one of the 67s,V6 etc.So none of them are actually very true to the real Cords except in there use of the coffin nose etc.Suppose you have to look at the difference in price from the original ones though.What was the wheelbase of the real Cords?I assume was bigger than these replicars.GLenn Prey also built those Auburn Boatails too.I always thought they were supposedly pretty correct?Sounds like these Cords are not that!Wish the Auburns weren't so expensive theyare really neat looking with the top down!Classical Gas in Co.has this one advertise but think they are a little steep on price at 16K from the looks of some of these on the internet etc.Thanks much for the info rally nice to have someone to go to for help in these situations as have been burned to often buying things don't know enough about!Bob

• PushnFords
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
01 Oct 2004 15:10 #2304 by PushnFords
Replied by PushnFords on topic Replicar Cords Continued....

moodier wrote: Thanks for the info!!I went and looked at those on e-bay,they appear to be 2 passengers,Sportsman?One of them has the lites molded as part of the fender the other has retractable ones.The one I see with the v6 is a 2 seater,a Cabroilet?It also has the engine turned dash and the little doors on the side of the dash those on ebay have plain dashes.Were they all 8/10 size or are some of them full size?Appears to have stock tailights etc too?Thanks Bob

On original Cords the two convertible models were Cabriolets (only one seat) and Phaeton (front and rear seat). The Cabriolets are also called convertible coupes and Sportmans by a lot of people. If I remember right the "Sportsman" name was used in advertising but not in company literature. The little doors on the side of the dash are glove boxes on original cars.

I'd say most Cord replicar owners don't even know what they have a lot of times because there were so many changes. Three different styles of front fenders, different styles of windshield frames (SAMCO fiberglass cars had the frame moulded in to the body), different widths, different wheelbases, etc. Originally the 8/10ths and some of the "bastards" had the engine turned dash but could be installed on any of them. There should be a serial number plate on the cowl that will tell you what it is.

1965-66
8/10ths Cords - 92 built
FWD with Corvair engines
100" wheelbase

"Bastards" - 13 built
These look like 8/10ths but 2 had Buick V6 engines and rest had 289/302 Fords with RWD
100" wheelbase

1968-71
SAMCO Cords
400 built with Ford V8 and 108" wheelbase
200 built with Chrsyler V8 and 113" wheelbase

• moodier
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
01 Oct 2004 02:38 #2302 by moodier
Replied by moodier on topic Glenn Prey Sportsman.Help!
Thanks for the info!!I went and looked at those on e-bay,they appear to be 2 passengers,Sportsman?One of them has the lites molded as part of the fender the other has retractable ones.The one I see with the v6 is a 2 seater,a Cabroilet?It also has the engine turned dash and the little doors on the side of the dash those on ebay have plain dashes.Were they all 8/10 size or are some of them full size?Appears to have stock tailights etc too?Thanks Bob

• PushnFords
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
01 Oct 2004 01:22 #2301 by PushnFords
Replied by PushnFords on topic Replica Cords
Here is an old message thread that will be of some help to you:

[url:1aulhtws]http://forums.acdclub.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=216[/url:1aulhtws]

The 8/10ths Cords were front wheel drive and had Corvair engines and retractable headlights. After they ended production there were approximately 13 S.A.M.C.O Cords built with that body mould and rear wheel drive with a V8. After those 13 the body was widened for more room. There were only two Buick V6 cars built. There are several SAMCO Cords that have been modified so they have the retractable headlights.

1969 SAMCO currently on eBay for $10,000
This style of headlight was used until they began using fiberglass bodies.
[url:1aulhtws]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6185&item=2491181857&rd=1[/url:1aulhtws]

1969 SAMCO currently on eBay for $8500. Previously listed at $10K with no bids.
[url:1aulhtws]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6185&item=2491813991&rd=1[/url:1aulhtws]

Not sure what this started out as....I'm guessing a SAMCO. The guy has his facts a little mixed up. At any rate, a "street rodded" car in good shape. Ended at $21,488.
[url:1aulhtws]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2489939965&category=6185[/url:1aulhtws]

Derek

• MICHAEL S SMITH
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
30 Sep 2004 19:36 #2300 by MICHAEL S SMITH
Replied by MICHAEL S SMITH on topic Glenn Prey Sportsman.Help!
ALSO PREY CARS TO MY KNOWLEDGE, WERE ALL FRONT WHEEL DRIVE CORVAIR POWER THIS MUST BE SAMCO(SORT OF CONTINUATION) THEY WERE 8/10s SIZE OF ORIGINAL

MICHAEL S SMITH ACD LIFE MEMBER #40
851 auburn phaeton
851 auburn sedan
810 cord westchester
812 cord phaeton(ex Tressler Swiss)
812 cord custom s/c beverly
812 cord s/c cabriolet
812 cord s/c beverly
80 866 speedster (pray factory built)

• MICHAEL S SMITH
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
30 Sep 2004 19:33 #2299 by MICHAEL S SMITH
Replied by MICHAEL S SMITH on topic Glenn Prey Sportsman.Help!
THERE ARE TWO ON EBAY RIGHT NOW WITH 302 V8s AND TOPS FOR LESS THAN 10,000

MICHAEL S SMITH ACD LIFE MEMBER #40
851 auburn phaeton
851 auburn sedan
810 cord westchester
812 cord phaeton(ex Tressler Swiss)
812 cord custom s/c beverly
812 cord s/c cabriolet
812 cord s/c beverly
80 866 speedster (pray factory built)

• moodier
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
30 Sep 2004 18:51 #2298 by moodier
Glenn Prey Sportsman.Help! was created by moodier
Can anybody give me a quick rundown on these.At least the dealer says it is that.Has a buick V6 and turbo 350.Has the retract typoe headlights like the real wons.NO convert top only a removable hartop?Just looking for something neat to drive but wonder do they have any resale etc if ever want to get rid of it he wants 16K for it.Says has torsion bar suspension so not a buick running gear?I know some of these replicas were far from stock in size etc?Was suppoosedly getting a real Cord and the deal fell thru so just looking around for something reasonable not up to price on a real sportsman!Appreciatte any thoughts as leaving town in a few days and be off computere for few weeks.Thanks!!