Skip to main content

810 812 oil filter

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
02 May 2017 10:24 #32861 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic 810 812 oil filter
I have often wondered how much wear could take place in that pivot joint over 80 odd years use. I have been holding off on the engine work until the body work during the current restoration is almost complete. In the near future I will be removing the sump etc. I think fixing the floating head in the lowest position is a good move. On the subject of increasing oil pressure any end float in the oil pump gears will reduce oil pressure. Carefully linishing the oil pump body on fine emery paper by hand will reduce the end play. Place the emery paper on a sheet of flat glass.

T cockerell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Away
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
28 Apr 2017 18:55 #32852 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic 810 812 oil filter
Pat I thought this flex joint was below the level of oil in the pan. Your idea of an o ring or brazing it closed is also good information. Thanks.

• Pat Leahy
  • Registered
More
28 Apr 2017 13:38 #32850 by Pat Leahy
Replied by Pat Leahy on topic 810 812 oil filter
I think the bigger concern is that the floating filter has a pivoting joint that does not seal well and could lead to suction problems. I have converted my Cord's to a full flow filter and have added a o-ring to this joint to make a tight seal or brazed it. My test show a considerable increase in oil pressure.

Pat Leahy

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
28 Apr 2017 09:35 #32849 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic 810 812 oil filter
A lot of Cords had a bypass filter added. It requires a "T" piece in the oil pressure gauge pick up point and then a return line nominally to the timing case cover. My Cord had this installed many years ago and has done a lot of miles. It is simple to install and it works. The filter is housed in a steel canister which is mounted on the firewall. You can probably pick up the filter housing at swap meets. Modern filters are readily available for these.

T cockerell

• ilikescars
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
16 Apr 2017 14:53 #32793 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic 810 812 oil filter
The problem I found was that the oil pickup tube & screen was only about one inch in diameter inside the oil pan. The screen had been blocked with debris, thus causing weak oil pressure with higher RPM..
I'm gonna do frequent oil changes, as suggested by Josh

• 1748 S
  • Away
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
15 Apr 2017 19:56 #32792 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic 810 812 oil filter
The Lycoming engine had a floating oil suction pickup on the oil pump. The idea was drawing only the clean oil off the top of the sump was as good as it could get. Of course now we know the oil not only lubes and cools bearing surfaces. It also washed away fine metal back to the sump. So how clean is the oil on top.. not very. But it was cleaner than drawing off the bottom of the pan. The Richardson filter is a well thought modification. Sadly it will be a judging points deduction and advice is to do it with period correct type filters.

• Roads2run
  • Registered
More
15 Apr 2017 13:59 #32790 by Roads2run
Replied by Roads2run on topic 810 812 oil filter
Not from the factory. Lee Richardson (adapter of GMC CV joints) came up with a method. Was detailed in one of the club bulletins. Tom Hartz

Roads2run

• ilikescars
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
15 Apr 2017 04:43 #32789 by ilikescars
810 812 oil filter was created by ilikescars
Did 810-12 Cords have any sort of oil filter installed by the factory?