Skip to main content

New Tires

• Tim Gilmartin
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
14 May 2017 19:47 #32948 by Tim Gilmartin
Replied by Tim Gilmartin on topic New Tires
I have used radials on my Cord for many years, and many thousands of miles. I do have modern heavy duty wheels also. So far, no problems. Easily cruising down the road at 60mph.
Tim.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
13 May 2017 17:14 #32944 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic New Tires
Regarding Bias Ply - I am very impressed with the Goodyears with the multiple stripes/ridges on the whitewalls - a really quality tire and surprisingly "round". I have installed on several cars now and all when sold have received high compliments from their new owners too.

JMM

More
11 May 2017 15:27 #32912 by wcoye
Replied by wcoye on topic New Tires
I put radials with a bias ply profile on my '36 Westchester several years ago and have never looked back. I did install a set of heavy '37 wheels. I enjoy the better handling when I'm on the open road. Only one sided whitewalls with slightly narrower whitewalls than the Firestones that came with the car. Showing my car is not as high on my list as a safe, enjoyable ride.
Cheers, Billy Bassoon

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A
Brag line: Winner of the
2014 Hillsborough Concurs Strother MacMinn award

More
11 May 2017 15:27 #32911 by wcoye
Replied by wcoye on topic New Tires
I put radials with a bias ply profile on my '36 Westchester several years ago and have never looked back. I did install a set of heavy '37 wheels. I enjoy the better handling when I'm on the open road. Only one sided whitewalls with slightly narrower whitewalls than the Firestones that came with the car. Showing my car is not as high on my list as a safe, enjoyable ride.
Cheers, Billy Bassoon

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A
Brag line: Winner of the
2014 Hillsborough Concurs Strother MacMinn award

• E L
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
27 Feb 2017 07:35 #32565 by E L
Replied by E L on topic New Tires
I am one of the first to put radial tires on original wheels 25 years ago. They are still on the car with no problems. Although you will take a hit in judging, you will also think you are driving a new car. I have put 30 thousand miles on them.

• pac32
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
27 Feb 2017 00:29 #32563 by pac32
Replied by pac32 on topic New Tires
Thanks Curt for replying, I am concerned about keeping the car close to original. That I why I asked if anyone knows what the White wall width would have been when our Cords were new . You are correct that they would have come with double whites, however in our tire size of 650-16 they are not available new at this time. My question on Radials is that they may be able to produce double white walls but can my wheels take the extra stress of radial tires. I have heard that a lot of Cord owners that switched to radials also have mounted them on modern (stronger) wheels. Does anyone out there currently have radials mounted on original Cord heavy duty wheels? And how are they performing? As I mentioned before I am planing a long tour with the car and would like to put new tires on if for safety sake.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
26 Feb 2017 12:58 #32560 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic New Tires
If you have a concern about authenticity , buy whitewalls that have a white wall on both sides of the tire. Single sided whitewalls were introduced in 1939. Your car didn't shimmy when it was new. Fix the underlying problem.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• pac32
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
25 Feb 2017 22:13 #32557 by pac32
New Tires was created by pac32
I have a 37 Cord with Firestone 650-16 4" wide white walls belted tires on it. I an going to put new tires on the car this year. I am wondering what width Wide whites the cars had when new. If I stay with Firestone I could buy 3" or 4". My other thought is radials. My concern with radials is can the wheels take the extra force? I am using the original Cord heavy duty wheels on the car. I plan on driving the car on a 2,600 mile tour next year and would like to change the present tires for safety. I recently put the car on a 1.400 mile tour with no issues with the present belted tires. I am fortunate that my Cord does not shimmy, some peoplev have said that radials were the only way to stop shimmy in their Cord. Which tire should I purchase and if radials what is the judging penalty for them?