Skip to main content

Timing chain

• ilikescars
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
21 Feb 2017 13:37 #32530 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic Timing chain
Thanks for your input, 1748. I don't believe there was a thrust washer, I suppose that is brass?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
21 Feb 2017 01:38 #32529 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Timing chain
The lycombing cam has a thrust washer near the front of the cam. I really do not know why yours "welded itself" and broke the key in the cam. I suppose you have the cam gear removed. If so you may know these engines have an oil port hole in one of the front plugs. I do not reacll which of the three plugs it is but someone here will know before I can get back to you bout it.
On my engine someone replaced the cam bearings with aftermarket brass bearings. Two of them were a little too tight on the cam bearing journels and froze to the cam journel. then spun in the block.. No damage done to cam or block but I will be replacing ALL the bearings. Btw there are 5 bearings and every one of them are a different size diameter. I was told 660 brass can be used for a good bearing. OEM was a babbited bearing but are no longer available.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ilikescars

• ilikescars
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
20 Feb 2017 22:35 #32528 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic Timing chain
Has anyone ever experienced a seized cam on these cars? Apparently my cam welded itself to a front plate due to friction. This caused the cam gear to slice thru it's key. No other damage seen, the key did it's job by not causing other damage

• 1748 S
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
20 Feb 2017 17:41 #32527 by 1748 S
The new chain makers name is Ramsey. Ebay sells this chain in bulk lengths or one can call the company. I recall the site out here on the west coast of Ca. told me in my quote it was a 2 to 4 week wait. Ramey chain is located in many cities across the US.Mine is about 20 miles from me in the city of Commerce Ca.

• 1748 S
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
20 Feb 2017 17:20 #32526 by 1748 S

ilikescars wrote: Dumb question: Does 810/812 Cord engine have a timing chain, or is it a timing gear?

These engines have a chain. The FB non supercharged engines use a 1 1/4 inch wide Whitney thain and the FC engine that has the supercharger will have the same maker chain but it will be 1 1/2 inches wide. they both use the 1/2 inch pitch chain. They are no longer made but. A GM chain will fit nicely out of a V8 engine around the same years. Also we can purchase a chain from a company I have on my records but can't recall the name right now. It fits ok but Henry told me it was a bit loose. Egge sells this chain too for around $200.00.

• pete kelly
  • Registered
More
20 Feb 2017 14:01 #32524 by pete kelly
Replied by pete kelly on topic Timing chain
chain
The following user(s) said Thank You: ilikescars

• ilikescars
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
20 Feb 2017 13:58 #32523 by ilikescars
Timing chain was created by ilikescars
Dumb question: Does 810/812 Cord engine have a timing chain, or is it a timing gear?