Skip to main content

Transmission Oil Pumping in Neutral

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
10 Jan 2017 17:50 #32247 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Transmission Oil Pumping in Neutral
The level of the trans oil will not be a problem when you lift the front end to run the engine and trans while on jacks. Really no need to also lift the rear of the car. If your car sits for long periods maybe it will be better on the tires to suspend them so they do not flat spot. I imagine something like what indy cars have to lift them when they come in for tires and fuel may work nicely too. Even 4 inexpensive bottle jacks all connected to one pump might work very well too. Or if you want something special look into a hydraulic jack system called Portapower. Simple. Light weight and easy to find but expensive.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Frank L
  • Visitor
10 Jan 2017 07:21 #32240 by Frank L
Replied by Frank L on topic Transmission Oil Pumping in Neutral
Whenever I need the engine to idle for a longer period I prop up the car so the front wheels are off the ground and set the car in gear.

I always wonder about the height of the suction pipe/port of the gearbox pump so I also prop up the rear just to be on the safe side.
Frank

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
08 Jan 2017 18:26 #32230 by 1748 S
Using a block of wood to hold the clutch pushed in so we can idle for long times seems like it will add lots of wear on the throwout bearing. I learned that our throwout bearing is no longer available. So 2 questions.
Is our throwout bearing available.
Is doing the clutch in going to wear out any other pieces.
Interested in what others have to say on this. Its the only way we learn about these cars.

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
04 Jan 2017 01:15 #32218 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic Transmission Oil Pumping in Neutral
An easy solution is to cut a pieceof wood to theproper length that it fully depresses the clutch and fit's just inside the lower lip of
the lower dash. That way the transmission is not engaged and you can idle the engine as long as you want and nothing is turning in the transmission.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
03 Jan 2017 22:48 #32214 by RandyEma
Replied by RandyEma on topic Transmission Oil Pumping in Neutral
I have seen lots of different modifications .Are they necessary ????????????????. You decide. R

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
03 Jan 2017 19:50 - 09 May 2017 20:42 #32213 by 1748 S
The truth is unless the wheels are actually turning. there is no oil being pumped thru the trans. Yes, the top shaft does splash some oil but not nearly what is required. Sad part is the gear oil pump was designed to operate off the bottom shaft. This shaft is also the pinion shaft so it must be rotating when the wheels are rolling. Had the oil pump been installed on the top main shaft it would be a better on all the time oil pump The design is the oil is pumped up into the main shaft where it has drilled holes to lubricate the bushing along that shaft. Sadly I did not know any of this and ran my engine probably 4 or 5 hours over the last 40 years. Only one time did I support the front end to see the wheels turning. After that I drove this car about 1/2 mile because I wanted to feel it. No exhaust. No fuel in tank but a gallon can on fender. When I took the trans apart last year I found missing synchro balls and springs but no parts in case. No oil was in the differential or trans either. Someone had replaced the cluster gear with an oem gear and others. But did not "fix" the trans. Glad I took it apart now.... I have not found any burned bushings or damage from running it without oil or the pump running. I believe I got very lucky too and do not recommend anyone doing as I did.
Last edit: 09 May 2017 20:42 by 1748 S.

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
03 Jan 2017 18:18 #32211 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Transmission Oil Pumping in Neutral
Hi,
I'm not aware of any published modification, but I have to think that an electric pump could readily be fitted td do the job.
Alternatively, don't idle in neutral unless the clutch is pushed in.
--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

• alsancle
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
03 Jan 2017 16:50 #32210 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic Transmission Oil Pumping in Neutral
Randy, that took you almost 13 minutes to answer. I think you are slowing down.
This is related to my dad's 812 that he has owned for 55 years. I would guess that after a couple trips back and forth from Mass to Auburn among years of driving that it would be on the looser side at this point.
Has there ever been tech update with an auxiliary pump or modification to mitigate the problem?

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
03 Jan 2017 16:13 #32209 by RandyEma
Replied by RandyEma on topic Transmission Oil Pumping in Neutral
#1 Yes #2 depends on the age of the transmission and how it was rebuilt . If it was set up to tight you are probably going to have problems. R

• alsancle
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
03 Jan 2017 16:06 #32208 by alsancle
Transmission Oil Pumping in Neutral was created by alsancle
I know this has been covered somewhere but I could not find it. Last night I was reading a Cord 810/812 transmission overview from about 30 years ago and it clearly stated that leaving the car idling in neutral was a bad idea. The transmission oil pump was driven by the wheels turning, so in neutral the oil was not being pumped but some gears were still turning.

My questions are:

1. I this true, leaving the car in neutral and idling means no oil circulation.

2. If it is true, how long of a duration is acceptable, 30 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes, etc...

thanks!

A.J.