Skip to main content

810 Rear Fender Height Dimension

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
02 Dec 2016 07:14 #31961 by Jonathan Richards
Replied by Jonathan Richards on topic Re: 810 Rear Fender Height Dimension
Terry, I composed and attempted to send to you a response but when I pushed the Submit button below the system said I had to Login to send. In summary there was a change in the arch of the rear springs on Cord sedans effective with S#1945 in August of 1937. Your car is Serial #1586A and would have had the earlier spring installed. Never mind for now the different spring part numbers which I had in my aborted PM. It seems to me that spring arch would directly affect the tyre to fender clearance at 9 , 12 and 3 o'clock positions. The lateral adjustment of the rear axle side to side would also impact clearance of tyre to fender and inner body side under the fender. If you are using the 6.50 x 16 proper tyre size you should have no issues but those choosing to install radial or non-standard tyres have experience some clearance issues. Sorry my more detailed PM failed to go through but you get the idea. This information may do you absolutely no good and I hope someone with more knowledge in this matter will provide guidance. A penciled notation at Page 12 of the Cord Engineering Changes notebook indicates the later rear springs had 3/4" more arch. Good Luck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
02 Dec 2016 01:26 #31960 by Terry Cockerell
810 Rear Fender Height Dimension was created by Terry Cockerell
During the restoration of my 810 Westchester we have run into a problem with setting the rear fenders in the correct location with respect to the wheel clearances. Attached is a sketch of the basic figures I need to set things up correctly.
Quite a few years ago Henry Portz gave me a figure of 29 1/4" for dimension "C".
My springs are correct to the original settings.
I need to get this sorted out ASAP so that the panel repair guy can finish the work.

Also attached is a recently discovered picture of the car with its original owner.
Amos Mason and the "Actonite Cord".
We think this picture was taken in late 1936.

Thanks,
Terry Cockerell

T cockerell
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.