• Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
31 Oct 2016 10:50 #31880 by GOENKA
Replied by GOENKA on topic Re: 1936 cord 810 westchester restoration
Some more updated pics

A great big thank you to Terry, who's helping me every single step of the way

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• GOENKA
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
13 Sep 2016 12:37 #31696 by GOENKA
updates:

front flooring has been finished and fabricated.

rear wood work complete too

• GOENKA
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
02 Sep 2016 11:35 #31634 by GOENKA
Have finalized and made necessary corrections to the body.

will start working on the meters and chassis and underbody painting.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
31 Aug 2016 13:06 #31630 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Re: 1936 cord 810 westchester restoration
Stan in WEllington Kansas USA can rebuild it for you or watch Ebay. They show up on Ebay often. Just make sure it is the type you want. Some of them at 12 volts and not the D type as is yours.. How do you know yours does not work?

• GOENKA
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
31 Aug 2016 06:21 #31629 by GOENKA
update:

body denting work has begun and its going to be a task..considering i have to get it finished in 3 months :-)

be prepared for regular updates

i am trying to locate a working startex box? any leads on this

regards,
Allan

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
29 Aug 2016 15:03 #31625 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Re: 1936 cord 810 westchester restoration
Hi,

There are several posts on disassembling the water pump on your 810 Cord. Advance-search the topics for "water pump" in the 810/812 Cord categories for information. Take the info to heart as it is easy to break the casting.

The main thing is to be PATIENT in getting it apart. Lots of penetrant, lots of patience.

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
29 Aug 2016 14:26 #31624 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Re: 1936 cord 810 westchester restoration
Welcome to the Cord club. Your engine appears very complete. Please do not exchange that generator for any other Autolite generator. Yours appears correct and very rare. It has the TC (two charge) voltage regulator on top of it but the knob is not correct. It looks like a radio knob and they too are rare so don't just throw it away. Ebay has many close examples of these TC regulators and not very expensive to buy just for the top knob.
That hole in the firewall was the easy approach to changing the engine timing chains. Best repair is to replace the complete piece top to bottom. Stan may have this piece too.
Horns are another rare piece as is the air filter. Your carb looks like the correct EE15.
Rebuilding the water pump can be difficult. the rear cover is hard to remove without ruining it so be careful when prying it off. Use plenty of heat on the case and some Aerokroil penetrant. Its sold by Kano Labs in the USA. I have used it for nearly 45 years on any stuck nut, bolt or assembly.
Door handles are not available or the trunk latches.
Headlight lense with the reflectors are very rare too but a member in Europe has made reproductions and they are very nice.
What condition is your instrument panel? The cats eye cigar lighter is very costly if you do not have one. The red is mostly used but they came green too..
I have rebuild all my gauges, starter, carb, and fuel pump along with several other items. I have posted most of the before and after pics on this forum hoping others can learn from what I have done. I'm no expert but do know a few things about these great cars. Best of luck finding the parts you need too. This forum is a great place to get help restoring these cars.

• GOENKA
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
29 Aug 2016 13:27 #31623 by GOENKA

Terry Cockerell wrote: Where did you find or purchase your car ? It looks to be very original under the hood although in need of restoration. Do you have a copy of Josh Malks book Cord Complete ? It is advertised in the ACD Newsletter and is the best place to start understanding a Cord. You asked about gear box modifications. You will need to install a heavier thrust ring. Stan Gilliland at AC Parts in Kansas can help you with this item. I am actually restoring my car at present although I had it on the road for five years. They are wonderful cars and a delight to drive. Cords were assembled in a plant called "The Central" in Connersville, which is located south of Auburn. I have attached a picture of the plant but sadly most of it is gone now.
What is your home email address as it will be easier to send you copies of technical information ?
I have listed Ron's postal address as he is not into computers.

Ron Irwin. 18319 Grayland Ave, Artesia, CA 90701 - 5737, USA

To order a copy of Cord Complete contact

<a href="mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url]

Regards, Terry

Thanks for your prompt reply,

have got the car down from the united states.
as you have stated, engine compartment is quite complete , but do notice the hole in the firewall.

all the best to you as well on your restoration. any topic where you have discussed your car. would love to have a look at it.

my personal email address is <a href="mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url]
thank you in advance for the data.

regards,
Allan

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
29 Aug 2016 10:34 #31620 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Re: 1936 cord 810 westchester restoration
Where did you find or purchase your car ? It looks to be very original under the hood although in need of restoration. Do you have a copy of Josh Malks book Cord Complete ? It is advertised in the ACD Newsletter and is the best place to start understanding a Cord. You asked about gear box modifications. You will need to install a heavier thrust ring. Stan Gilliland at AC Parts in Kansas can help you with this item. I am actually restoring my car at present although I had it on the road for five years. They are wonderful cars and a delight to drive. Cords were assembled in a plant called &quot;The Central&quot; in Connersville, which is located south of Auburn. I have attached a picture of the plant but sadly most of it is gone now.
What is your home email address as it will be easier to send you copies of technical information ?
I have listed Ron's postal address as he is not into computers.

Ron Irwin. 18319 Grayland Ave, Artesia, CA 90701 - 5737, USA

To order a copy of Cord Complete contact

<a href="mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url]

Regards, Terry

T cockerell
Attachments:

• GOENKA
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
29 Aug 2016 08:41 #31618 by GOENKA

Terry Cockerell wrote: As to getting started what is your Serial Number and what is your engine number ? I too have an early Westchester with Serial No 810 1586A. The filler caps in the cowl attach to the oil and water pipes under the hood. I have attached a couple pictures of an early Westchester that I saw in Auburn in 2011. Have you contacted Ron Irwin the Cord 810 812 historian in California ? He may be able to help you with the history of your car. Welcome to the ACD Club, where are you located in the world ? I am in Australia.
Regards,
Terry Cockerell

thanks for your reply.

i am based in Mumbai, India
details of the car are as below
serial : 1900 A
engine : FB 1176
body no : C 90 - 997

have no access to the newsletter yet, dont know why
i think Ron Irwins details are mentioned there

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
29 Aug 2016 08:35 #31617 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Re: 1936 cord 810 westchester restoration
As to getting started what is your Serial Number and what is your engine number ? I too have an early Westchester with Serial No 810 1586A. The filler caps in the cowl attach to the oil and water pipes under the hood. I have attached a couple pictures of an early Westchester that I saw in Auburn in 2011. Have you contacted Ron Irwin the Cord 810 812 historian in California ? He may be able to help you with the history of your car. Welcome to the ACD Club, where are you located in the world ? I am in Australia.
Regards,
Terry Cockerell

T cockerell
Attachments:

• GOENKA
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
29 Aug 2016 08:09 #31616 by GOENKA
Hi Guys,

just wanted to share one of my current restoration projects.
At the same time get some knowledgeable information form the experts here and also help me source parts which i might need to complete this project

the car in question is a 1936 cord 810 westchester

After a lot of effort finally managed to register here by joining the Club

please find below a few picture of the current progress on the restoration.
The car was in quite bad shape

its a complete restoration from scratch with every nut and bolt looked into.

any leads for engine reference pictures which are 100 percent correct would be welcome

also i have noticed that there are two filling caps in the vents on the cowl and for oil and water. From my research it was only on the earlier cars. Just wanted to make sure they are original and i should keep them this way.

have also read about a few gear box modification that need to be done inorder to make the car a daily runner. any related links to this will be very helpful.

im in touch with auburncordparts for missing items

For some reason i am denied access at the moment to the judging forum, wonder how do i get into that since i am already a club member

Shall keep you guys posted with the restoration progress.

cheers
Attachments: