Shifting fun ............

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Aug 2016 12:15 #31468 by
created the topic: Shifting fun ............
I am looking for some input.

Cord shifts perfectly in pre select mode.
Never misses a shift.

Getting Cord to shift in manual mode is a different story.
Shifting 4-3 3-4 will not work 3 out of 5 times.
Depressing the clutch twice will get me a perfect shift.

Cord's voltage is 13.8
New selector switch, switch cap,pencil, wiring harness,interlock switch,clutch switch.
All adjusted by the book.
Connections checked with the light box.

According to the light box, Cord's shifts are perfect.
(The Cord Transmission Simulator was /is a great help in understanding how the system works )

Vacuum cylinders rebuilt , no leakage.
Solenoids, rebuilt, I get a immediate vacuum drop to zero on letting up on the clutch, so no leakage there.
Tested vacuum, 7.5 psi on both sides of the main shift cylinder.

I'm stumped.I think I tested everything, but cannot see the reason for the difference in pre select and manual mode.

Thanks for your time
Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2016 17:24 #31469 by 1748 S
1748 S replied the topic: Re: Shifting fun ............
I would check the clutch interlock switch adjustment. Its difficult to push the clutch in the same amount every time to shift so for me that is the only item that can be different every shift. See if the peddle arm has some slop in it. See if the pins in the arm ends are tight and not sloppy in the ends. Make sure the switch is tightly fastened to the bracket too.

More
06 Aug 2016 12:13 #31474 by ilikescars
ilikescars replied the topic: Re: Shifting fun ............
Speaking of shifting fun, is it best to leave the shift lever in neutral while parked for storage?

More
06 Aug 2016 14:49 #31476 by 1748 S
1748 S replied the topic: Re: Shifting fun ............
Yes. I have been reading about just this. Leave the trans in neutral when parked. Seems it makes it so much easier to shift the trans after starting from a long nap.

More
06 Aug 2016 21:23 #31477 by Tom_Parkinson
Tom_Parkinson replied the topic: Re: Shifting fun ............
Hi,

Leaving the transmission in neutral when parked in the garage also allows you more easily to push the car out to where you can work on it when the shift won't shift!

Remember--never leave the transmission in neutral and spinning while idling the engine, such as at a traffic light. That will burn up parts inside that require lubrication from the manual transmission pump which only pumps when the axles are turning. Keep the clutch on the floor when idling.

--Tom

PS: I recently got a freebie cap from Hagerty Insurance that is embroidered "Shift Happens." I have seriously considered adding additional embroidery: "Sometimes!"

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: http://mbcurl.me/YCSE

• Terry Cockerell
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
07 Aug 2016 23:17 #31480 by Terry Cockerell
Terry Cockerell replied the topic: Re: Shifting fun ............
I had quite a bit of trouble getting my pre-select system to work properly. It took a lot of trial and error over many months. With the sheetmetal cover in place above the gearbox everything worked fine until it warmed up to operating temperature and then it would not select 2nd or 3rd. It would work perfectly with the sheetmetal cover or scoop removed. Something that was temperature sensitive was causing the problem.
Eventually I traced it down to the fit of the woodruff key in the "dog bone" on the selector cross shaft. Things could move slightly when it got warm enough. I was astounded that having the scoop fitted could make the difference. Just try checking one item at a time.
Occasionally I would still crunch first or reverse if I was not careful so I installed some micro switches at the front of the gearbox and lights under the dash to let the driver know when 1st or reverse had been selected correctly. Another guy out here fitted micro switches to all gears as well as lights in a little box under the dash, so that you know where you are all of the time.
Cheers,
Terry Cockerell
Australia

T cockerell

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds