Gas tank sending unit

• 1748 S
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
30 Sep 2016 00:00 #31784 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Re: Gas tank sending unit
Thanks Mike. I was looking a just that yesterday wondering about them. Today I found a float that is part brass and part synthetic material like a plastic. My concern is finding one sized to fit into the tank opening. Mine was ruff coming out. I had to bend the rod a little so it would clear the opening. Appears to be a poor design back in 1937.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
29 Sep 2016 23:21 #31783 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Re: Gas tank sending unit
Check out floats sold for Model A Fords. You will have to change the arm to accommodate the A float. Modern material good for modern fuels.
Cordially Mike

Mike Huffman

• 1748 S
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
29 Sep 2016 22:46 #31782 by 1748 S
Well after attempting to repair my gas float I feel its well beyond saving. Just way too many cracks. I repaired several but still have probably 6 or 7 more to repair. Then I don't know how this heavy float will work. Plus how long will it be before another crack appears. It would be different if I could dip this float in solder but then how heavy or how long will it last.
I need to stick with "do it once and do it right".

• 1748 S
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
03 Aug 2016 23:38 #31458 by 1748 S
Thanks for the idea Pete. I might purchase one of these just to try it out. I'm a long way from needing a sender because my car wont be driveable for some time yet. Its my oil level sender that is in bad shape.

• pete kelly
  • Registered
More
03 Aug 2016 13:15 #31449 by pete kelly
Replied by pete kelly on topic Re: Gas tank sending unit

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: Kunena\Forum\Libraries\BBCode\KunenaBBCodeLibrary::renderEbayLayout(): Argument #1 ($ItemID) must be of type int, string given, called in /home/827734.cloudwaysapps.com/wqvptpacqq/public_html/libraries/kunena/src/BBCode/KunenaBBCode.php on line 304. Please enable debug mode for more information.

• 1748 S
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
31 Jul 2016 19:03 #31436 by 1748 S
Well I opened the sending unit and found plenty of corrosion but no damage. cleaned it and began reassembly. For those curious as to what is inside these Stewart warner sending units, these pics may help. If not please ask while I have this apart. The operation is really rudimentary. The arm has a float. In the electrical part that arm has a brass rub tab that not only rubs the rheostat but it grounds thru the brass rod bushing. Just follow the rub strip to the rod bushing to see what I refer to. I will caution anyone that feels they can repair a non working sending unit. They are very delicate. Had I not cleaned mine I'm positive it would not have operated. Also the old gas that I never put in the fuel tank really smells bad. I believe my car was off the road in 1949 but for sure any fuel in the tank came long before 1961 when my Dad purchased the car. He got it in pieces so it was long off the road before 1961 best I can tell by the paperwork from the last two owners before my Dad and I. Enjoy what I found.

• 1748 S
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
30 Jul 2016 21:28 #31432 by 1748 S
Today I was exercising the sender float arm and felt some grinding type resistance.. So I "opened up" the sending unit. See in pics 3 and 4 there is a rivet on both edges. The head is 7/32. So I drilled a shallow hole in some Titanium I have. Then made a punch to fit into the bottom side and hammer it out. Really glad I did because of all the crap I found in that small area. The piece that rubs on the rheostat strip was brass and really corroded. I cleaned off all I could with an exacto knife and used Lime away to clean the rest. I will leave it soak for a day and check later. I did find a gasket between the top cover and the bottom plate. Pics of that later too. I see no way to remove the arm from the body. My pics later will show why I feel that way.

• 1748 S
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
26 Jul 2016 18:21 #31420 by 1748 S
I measured the distance from the arm as it leaves the sender to the middle of the float. It is 4 15/16 inch.

• Mike Brady
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
25 Jul 2016 21:29 #31417 by Mike Brady
Replied by Mike Brady on topic Re: Gas tank sending unit
Thank you

• 1748 S
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
25 Jul 2016 15:37 #31414 by 1748 S
Best I can explain the dimensions are like this. As you can see my rod extends well past the float center line. So from the bend down to the float measures 4 3/4 inch. then that bend above is 5/8 inch. Then the next bend is 9/16 inch where it goes into the body of the sender. If I was to measure mine like you asked I will not really have a rod length but I can find the overall length for you. Sadly my float has holes in it so I will be "fixing" that too. BTW thanks for lighting a fire under me to attack this job. That 70 year old gas sure has a horrible smell too. Needed several washings with Dawn Dishwashing liquid to get the smell off my hands...

• 1748 S
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
25 Jul 2016 15:31 #31413 by 1748 S
Here are some pics. This was a herculean task to remove the sender float from my car but.. I was just putting it off because its in such a bad location for me.

• Mike Brady
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
23 Jul 2016 15:13 #31409 by Mike Brady
Gas tank sending unit was created by Mike Brady
What is the correct length of the sending unit arm (centre of pivot to centre of float) ?

thank you, Mike