Gas tank sending unit

• Mike Brady
  • Mike Brady's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
23 Jul 2016 15:13 #31409 by Mike Brady
Mike Brady created the topic: Gas tank sending unit
What is the correct length of the sending unit arm (centre of pivot to centre of float) ?

thank you, Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2016 15:31 #31413 by 1748 S
1748 S replied the topic: Re: Gas tank sending unit
Here are some pics. This was a herculean task to remove the sender float from my car but.. I was just putting it off because its in such a bad location for me.

More
25 Jul 2016 15:37 #31414 by 1748 S
Best I can explain the dimensions are like this. As you can see my rod extends well past the float center line. So from the bend down to the float measures 4 3/4 inch. then that bend above is 5/8 inch. Then the next bend is 9/16 inch where it goes into the body of the sender. If I was to measure mine like you asked I will not really have a rod length but I can find the overall length for you. Sadly my float has holes in it so I will be "fixing" that too. BTW thanks for lighting a fire under me to attack this job. That 70 year old gas sure has a horrible smell too. Needed several washings with Dawn Dishwashing liquid to get the smell off my hands...

• Mike Brady
  • Mike Brady's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
25 Jul 2016 21:29 #31417 by Mike Brady
Mike Brady replied the topic: Re: Gas tank sending unit
Thank you

More
26 Jul 2016 18:21 #31420 by 1748 S
I measured the distance from the arm as it leaves the sender to the middle of the float. It is 4 15/16 inch.

More
30 Jul 2016 21:28 #31432 by 1748 S
Today I was exercising the sender float arm and felt some grinding type resistance.. So I "opened up" the sending unit. See in pics 3 and 4 there is a rivet on both edges. The head is 7/32. So I drilled a shallow hole in some Titanium I have. Then made a punch to fit into the bottom side and hammer it out. Really glad I did because of all the crap I found in that small area. The piece that rubs on the rheostat strip was brass and really corroded. I cleaned off all I could with an exacto knife and used Lime away to clean the rest. I will leave it soak for a day and check later. I did find a gasket between the top cover and the bottom plate. Pics of that later too. I see no way to remove the arm from the body. My pics later will show why I feel that way.

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds