Skip to main content

FOUR STACK EXHAUST SYSTEM ON A 812 SUPERCHARGED BEVERLY

• sunroofcord
  • Registered
More
06 Dec 2004 18:07 #2554 by sunroofcord
Josh is Correct. I am Jim, "Speed Davis" son. I have the article my Dad wrote for the Upper Midwest Region of the Classic Car Club in 1965. I would be glad to photocopy it for anyone interested. I know the whole history of the car tht Mark Anderson mentioned. As far as I know, it is the only original Cord that exists with the 4 stack system. Jim Fox from Hampton, Iowa has a Cabriolet with the 4-Stack system. The 4 Stack system on Jims Cord supposedly came from a Phaeton that Glenn Pray Junked out years ago. This Phaeton was supposedly Mrs. Madsens personal car. There is a picture of that Phaeton with the 4-Stack exhaust system in a book called the Classic Cord Reveals that was written by an Oregon member in 1956 who I believe is still living and still a member, his name escapes me at the moment. The original pattern for the 4-Stack exhaust system hangs on Dads Garage wall and was given to him by Merrill Madsen Sr. several years ago. I've recently found out that one of Merrill Madsen Srs sons is still living and have been in contact with him to see if any literature, etc. remains from the Cord Dealership. Mr. Garwood of Garwood Boat fame was also supposed to have had a Cord (probably a Custom Beverly) with a 4-Stack exhaust system but I've never been able to locate any information on that car.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
31 Aug 2004 01:15 #2153 by Josh Malks
"Speed" Davis got the story years ago from the dealer who created them, Merrill M. Madsen of the Twin Cities in Minnesota. A man named White specified the 8 pipes on his Custom Beverly to be delivered by Madsen's Auburn-Cord dealership, and the factory in Connersville built them for him. Other customers asked for this arrangement, and Madsen made up the complicated wooden welding jigs and new side screens. Madsen so equipped two Cords, a cabriolet for his wife and a Beverly sedan for a customer. After the fall, Dallas Winslow's ACD Company bought the tooling. Madsen believes two or three more Cords were so equipped by ACD.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
30 Aug 2004 19:27 #2150 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic FOUR STACK EXHAUST SYSTEM ON A 812 SUPERCHARGED BEVERLY

DOES THE FOUR STACK SYSTEM HAVE ANY AFFECT ON THE VALUE OF THE CAR?

The 4 stack system could affect the value either way. The original system was not manifolds but just short 90 degree bends with flanges. The side screens and fender rings were made up to match of course and more "y"s under the fenders to hook it all up.

Stan

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
30 Aug 2004 18:28 #2149 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic 4 stack exhaust
These were initially made by a dealer at a customer's request in I think WI. Then the factory was supposed to have requested the use of the tooling for a few custom orders. Boy, try to check the oil on a 4 stacker when the engine is hot!

Stan

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• GARY SARTOR
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
30 Aug 2004 13:56 #2148 by GARY SARTOR

mark anderson wrote: I don't know why they did it but I was told that they only made six of them
I know of one that is sitting in a garage for the last 10 years and the person that has it will never do any thing with it. I hope some day that it will be on the road again. long live the CORD.

Mark Anderson

DOES THE FOUR STACK SYSTEM HAVE ANY AFFECT ON THE VALUE OF THE CAR?

• mark anderson
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
27 Aug 2004 22:55 #2139 by mark anderson
I don't know why they did it but I was told that they only made six of them
I know of one that is sitting in a garage for the last 10 years and the person that has it will never do any thing with it. I hope some day that it will be on the road again. long live the CORD.

Mark Anderson

• GARY SARTOR
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
27 Aug 2004 20:29 #2136 by GARY SARTOR
CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHY THE FACTORY USED A FOUR STACK SYSTEM AND HOW MANY WERE PRODUCED? THANK YOU