Re: Autolite Coil

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
09 Feb 2019 00:49 #36613 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Re: Autolite Coil
Hers is how Stan modified the coil placement because of heat issues years ago.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: wcoye

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2019 22:26 #36611 by wcoye
Replied by wcoye on topic Re: Autolite Coil
Please do post Stan's instruction s. Could be a great help for many of us.

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A
Brag line: Winner of the
2014 Hillsborough Concurs Strother MacMinn award

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
08 Feb 2019 20:18 #36609 by 1748 S

Terry Cockerell wrote: I had to use a VW coil also because that was all I could get at the time. The engine ran perfectly in all conditions.
I recently decided to hide the VW coil under the cowl as recommended by others to avoid Hot Coil Syndrome. Just for looks I gutted an original faulty coil and ran the cables through it. It takes a bit of work to do it correctly but this will help with reliability.

A few years ago I purchased this type of modification made by Stan from ebay. It came with directions and Stan's name on the sheet of instructions. If anyone wants pics of it I can post them here. Am still not made a decision if my plans are to do this or not. No hurry making a decision yet..

More
08 Feb 2019 19:46 #36608 by wcoye
Replied by wcoye on topic Autolite Coil
As an aside, if you are going to be judged your coil should be black. Mine is blue and I got dinged point(s) at Reunion last year.

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A
Brag line: Winner of the
2014 Hillsborough Concurs Strother MacMinn award

• RumRunner
  • Registered
More
06 Feb 2019 23:06 #36607 by RumRunner
Replied by RumRunner on topic Re: Autolite Coil
The internal resistance of my Autolite coil is 1.5 ohms between terminals. Also is about 3000 ohms between terminals and HV out.

• balinwire
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
06 Feb 2019 19:23 #36606 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic Re: Autolite Coil
From the Hemmings article The Cord coil must have a built in resister. I do not remember ever seeing a external resister on a Cord. I never checked resistance on my aftermarket 6v coil but it was difficult to start when warm, I suspected my coil. maybe it needs a resistor.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
04 Feb 2019 06:58 #36594 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Re: Autolite Coil
I had to use a VW coil also because that was all I could get at the time. The engine ran perfectly in all conditions.
I recently decided to hide the VW coil under the cowl as recommended by others to avoid Hot Coil Syndrome. Just for looks I gutted an original faulty coil and ran the cables through it. It takes a bit of work to do it correctly but this will help with reliability.

T cockerell
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• Rileypu29
  • Registered
More
04 Feb 2019 04:22 #36592 by Rileypu29
Replied by Rileypu29 on topic Re: Autolite Coil
Hi Michael,

My name is Bill, I live in Northern California and I purchased an 812 SC Phaeton late last year. My car is a good driver but by no means a show car. I do not have the original coil in my car so I thought I would share with you what I have. My car has the original ignition system (correct distributor with dual points) and is still a 6 volt system with a positive ground. Believe it or not, the coil in my car is a Bosch coil for a 6 V Volkswagen. I tried to attach pictures of the coil but was not able to. The part number of the coil is Bosch 0221124001. I have checked online and it seems to be readily available. The new version of this coil is silver, mine is blue. My coil is wired with the wire from the ignition switch connecting to the positive terminal and the negative terminal connecting to the distributor. In researching things online I think that this may be reversed from what is correct but it seems it does not make a big difference. Please see the following link for information about this:

mgaguru.com/mgtech/ignition/ig104.htm

In terms of coils in general I do not think that the polarity of the ground maters, only that the coil gets wired correctly. There are different coils for 6V and 12V and also different coils depending upon the system used for triggering the coil (for example breaker points, electronic ignition, etc.) In these cases the resistance on the primary side of the coil can be different. Following is a link to a general article about coils:

www.hemmings.com/magazine/hmn/2006/06/Ig...n-Coils/1280615.html

The VW coil in my Cord has a primary resistance of 1.3 ohms (as I measured it), my guess is that the specification for the coil is a resistance of 1.5 ohms which is quite common. The primary resistance is the resistance measured between the two posts of the coil that connect to the ignition switch and the distributor. My car seems to run very well with this coil however I do not know what the primary resistance was for an original Cord coil. Maybe someone out there could measure theirs and share this information. If you decide to use a Pertronix system for triggering you may need to get a different coil as these systems can be designed to work with coils that have a different primary resistance. Another possibility may be the need for a ballast resistor. I believe that this is important to keep from burning out the ignition modules on electronic ignition systems. I would suggest researching this in detail before you install a module and turn on the ignition.

I hope that this is helpful.

Best regards and CORDially,
Bill Kastanis
1937 SC Phaeton

Bill Kastanis

• RumRunner
  • Registered
More
03 Feb 2019 22:58 #36590 by RumRunner
It turns out that the metal casing is not connected at all to any of the terminals on the coil - the windings and terminals are completely insulated from the case, so case contact with the firewall/frame (positive or negative ground) doesn't matter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• balinwire
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
03 Feb 2019 21:44 #36589 by balinwire
The original coil has one - 6v voltage lead at the firewall side top. The other lead is in a shielded electrolock harness thru and into cabin under dash to the key switch to prevent theft. The power is sourced from the amp gauge into the coil thru the harness and out the -6v coil terminal top to the breaker points. This negative charge current would be then flow back into the positive earth of the engine blocks frame connection thru Kv+ ground. Also if a negative ground coil is used on a positive ground car does the metal case or winding's of a negative ground coil short in the winding's/core or metal case to + ground? This would require to feed +6v power into the coil harness, dash source and 6v +coil winding in terminal exposing the coil to possible shorts or cooling problems? Current electrons flow from negative to positive, that is why I always thought they designed positive ground cars, the center -Kv electrode of the spark plug would arc to the + iron engine block ground. It's been forty or fifty years since I messed with positive coils in early VW's and Fords and it never was an issue, I never really gave it much thought, install any coil and if it sparks keep going...

• RumRunner
  • Registered
More
03 Feb 2019 15:20 #36588 by RumRunner
Actually I've come to believe that all coils are basically the same - maybe a few more windings here or there, or a slightly larger or smaller ballast resistance, but fundamentally a coil is a coil. From thing's I've read, for a positive ground vehicle, a modern coil can be used, and should be hooked up with the ignition wire to the (-) terminal and the distributor/contact wire to the (+) terminal. And obviously the high voltage output goes to the distributor cap.

Here' s a pretty good article:
mgaguru.com/mgtech/ignition/ig104.htm

So I'm going to replace my coil with a modern one, and maybe even replace the points with an electronic system from Pertronix.

At least that's my plan!

-Michael

• balinwire
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
03 Feb 2019 05:30 #36584 by balinwire
Electrically would a negative ground coil work on a positive ground car?

• RumRunner
  • Registered
More
02 Feb 2019 20:58 #36583 by RumRunner
Hello Friends!

Looking to replace my coil. Existing is Autolite 1G-6V-7. Can anyone point me to a suitable replacement?

And can anyone answer why manufacturers used an armored cable from the ignition switch to the coil? I have the same armored cable on a 1946 Dodge 2-Ton truck I own. And yes, I looked at the 6V positive ground coil on my truck but there are no manufacturers markings.

Thanks,
Michael
1937 Cord 812 Beverly S/C

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
30 Mar 2016 03:32 #30903 by 1748 S

1748 S wrote:

1748 S wrote: Here are some pics of my coil.

Attachments:

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
30 Mar 2016 03:31 #30902 by 1748 S

1748 S wrote: Here are some pics of my coil.

Attachments:

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
30 Mar 2016 03:31 #30901 by 1748 S
Here are some pics of my coil.
Attachments:

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
29 Mar 2016 18:27 #30900 by 1748 S
Thanks for the information George. It appears I may not have an original coil. My bracket is not made as part of the coil. My numbers are different from what you posted too. But it does have the coil wire fitting that screws into the end and the other end is connected to the ignition switch if I remember correctly. I will post pics of what I have and the part numbers too.

• George van Nostrand
  • Registered
More
29 Mar 2016 00:25 #30896 by George van Nostrand
Replied by George van Nostrand on topic Re: Autolite Coil
Gary, The original coil number is CE-420. It had a fixed bracket.
The service replacement coil number is CE-3224-JS. It uses a separate bracket.
Same coil fits many 8 cyl cars - Chrysler 8 36-42, Hudson 8 36-42, Studebaker 8 41-42 etc.

The IG-3224-JS is similar, but is used on six cylinder cars.

George.

Restoring 1936 Cord Westchester sedan.2023 A

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
28 Mar 2016 20:49 #30895 by 1748 S
Autolite Coil was created by 1748 S
Can anyone tell me the correct Autolite coil part number? I'm not sure I have the correct part but would like to know what is correct. I do have the coil that fits thru the firewall and connects to the ignition switch thru the cable. Also have the original ignition switch too.