Skip to main content

pertronix ignition system

• tom clarke
  • Registered
More
14 Sep 2004 22:00 #2217 by tom clarke
Replied by tom clarke on topic Electronic Ignition for the 810
I don't know about the Pertronix unit, which I gather is now available for 6V, positive ground systems, but I installed electronic ignition in my '36, model 810 about 3 years ago, and am very pleased with the result. Like you, I felt I didn't have good spark, and without any upgrade in the coil, my distributor modification has resulted in much better, and quicker, starts, which, to me, is the real measure. In addition, my plugs used to foul, even though I went up to H-11's and that has also stopped.
The unit I installed was made by Crane Cams of Daytona Beach, Florida, and is called their FireBall XR700 kit. I got it from a vendor known as the Pit Stop in Gary, Texas. The personality of the Pit Stop is Henry Douring at (903) 685-2531, and he was most accommodating, telling me he didn't know if it would work but he had sold one a month or so before to an Auburn owner, and it had worked for them.
I had to do a modification to the shutter sao it would go deeper and claer the rotor sensor, but did drawings of that change and would be glad to send them to you if you would want. Contact me at <a href="mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url], or (406) 234-3353.

Tom Clarke

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
26 Aug 2004 19:47 #2129 by
Replied by on topic Distributor
T Febles
I'm sure you'll find that it is the coil, a new condensor, and file the and set the gap on the points wouldn't hurt either.
Ken Clark

• T Febles
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
26 Aug 2004 18:23 #2128 by T Febles
pertronix ignition system was created by T Febles
Hi all,
I'm having a problem with my distributer not producing enough spark. At first it was very weak, now there seems to be nothing at all. I suspect it is the old condenser. I am thinking of using the pertronix ignition system. Does anyone know which unit to use and where to purchase one. My car is a 37 beverly unsupercharged. Any help would be appreciated. thank you.