where to find double white wall tires

• dryesandno
  • dryesandno's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
04 Nov 2015 04:29 #30527 by dryesandno
dryesandno created the topic: where to find double white wall tires
hi guys. wondering where everyone is buying their double white wall tires these days? what are the current options in double whites for the cord 810/812? what sizes are most of you running? what is working well for you? which make do you think looks the best on the cord 810/812? which makes and styles will pass judging these days without problems? can we run black walls? or is that taboo? anyone have a strong opinion on white vs black wall? what is the latest thinking in the club on this topic?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Nov 2015 17:34 #30531 by 1748 S
1748 S replied the topic: Re: where to find double white wall tires
I recall a posting a few years ago about this. I do not think the double white wall tire is available any longer and was long ago discontinued. A set of older still in the wrapper double whites was sold for an enormous price in that post I was reading in this forum. I also recall reading some posts in this forum that plain black wall tires did come off the line as factory tires too. I don't recall the brand. All this information I have posted here was from this forum too.

• dryesandno
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
05 Nov 2015 05:13 #30534 by dryesandno
dryesandno replied the topic: Re: where to find double white wall tires
yes. i went through all those old posts and read them too, which is why i thought it might be a good time to renew this discussion. i have RM restorations work on a my cars because up here in canada they are close by. we need a set of tires for my phaeton and here is what they are telling me:

"They think Coker has some dual whites, but they are only available in the size 600-16

Tread Width: 4.63
Section Width: 6.26
Overall Diameter: 28.56
Rim Width: 4.00 - 4.50

The Cords originally used 650-16.
The size difference is
Tread Width: 5.10
Section Width: 7.00
Overall Diameter: 29.10
Rim Width: 4.50 - 5.00

The 600’s would work, but look a bit small and would be docked in judging, because of the small size" (RM's words)

So having heard this from RM, i was wondering.....how does this work for judging? Is RM right that if we use the double white coker tires with the slightly smaller size that we would be docked points in judging because our tires are the wrong size? Or alternatively if we use the correct size but only single whites will we also be docked?

Since the correct size double whites don't seem to be available, is the club making exceptions for this in the judging because the right tires are no longer available?

Another question is given the number of cords we have in the club, and the movement by the club in the past few years to try and have "correctness" in the restoration and judging of the cars, would it not be in the interest of the club and its members to get together and see if we can find someone to make these correct tires for us? Surely there are enough of us and our cars that some tire mfg could see its way to producing the correct tires for us?

just wondering how the rest of you guys feel about the issue. and perhaps what the judging teams and head judge have to say about this issue.

does anyone think it would be feasible to find someone to build us the correct tires...or i am just dreaming with that thought?

alternatively, perhaps the club could place an order for a large number of tires, and then sell the tires to members at a small profit? sort of like the rolls royce and bentley clubs do with their "spares" projects.......

as mentioned above....if those older double whites went for so much money, you would think one of the tire mfg's or the club could make economic sense of getting the tires we need made?

More
05 Nov 2015 12:56 #30535 by Curt Schulze
Curt Schulze replied the topic: Re: where to find double white wall tires
Try Diamondback.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

More
06 Nov 2015 06:03 #30539 by Red Brick
Red Brick replied the topic: Re: where to find double white wall tires
The website of the Diamond Back Classic Radials is http://www.dbtires.com . I've been told that they take high quality radial tires and apply a custom white wall, so they should be able to apply a whitewall to both sides. I'd like to get a set for my car, but I will have to wait.

Also, do you intend to tour with your car or just drive it onto and off a car carrier? If you intend to tour with it, you might consider the heavy duty aluminum wheels that Don Wohlwend used to make. The wheels are still available, but Don recently sold his wheel design and company to a man in Canada whose name and contact information I can look up for you.

The advantages of the aluminum wheels are:

1. They weigh substantially less than the original steel wheels (almost 50% less);
2. The lighter weight reduces the car's unsprung weight, which improves its handling;
3. They are heavier duty than the original wheels; and
4. They have a bead built into them that lets you use a tubeless radial tire (tubeless are safer and less trouble-prone than tubed radials).

Finally, I know that many of those to whom Don sold his wheels use the Diamond Back Classic Radials.

I hope this helps.

Albert

• dryesandno
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
07 Nov 2015 00:50 #30546 by dryesandno
dryesandno replied the topic: Re: where to find double white wall tires
curt and albert

thanks for the tip on diamond back. so i contacted them and here is what rusty from diamondback had to say:

Hey Brent,

We do have a Radial Equivalent to the 650-16 (225/75/16) in a dual white available. Price is 269$/tire + Freight, and I can get them to you in about 2 weeks or so. Give me a call!

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds