Skip to main content

Stainless steel polishing technique?

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
21 Jul 2004 20:50 #1983 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic Stainless steel polishing technique?
Bill-

This is grown up work. Unless the louver trim only needs minor polishing, it needs to be done by hand with a good metal polish and soft cloth. any polish that will cut metal will be very abrasive on the adjacent paint. If the trim is very bad (dents, road rash, etc), it should be replaced. I would say that if it was masked off and a small felt bob used with white or green buffing compound, the Dremel could work. You would have to stand on your head part of the time. One could always remove the louvers and put them at working heigth on saw horses. What a task!

Stan

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thomas
  • Visitor
21 Jul 2004 05:33 #1982 by Thomas
Replied by Thomas on topic Stainless steel polishing technique?
The metal polish Autosol works a treat for stainless steel, chrome etc. I think it's available in the States. Definitely worth a try!

• PushnFords
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
21 Jul 2004 02:18 #1980 by PushnFords
Replied by PushnFords on topic Stainless Polishing
I would get a small buffing wheel for your Dremel or a die grinder.....I think Eastwood has a good selection....haven't looked for a while. I'd try polishing it with the small buff and compound - they should be able to tell you which is best for stainless. If that isn't good enough you'll have to sand them first. Wet sand (using that black wet or dry paper) in progressively finer grits. 6-800 will be fine enough a lot of times but will vary depending on how hard your buff is, etc. Just experiment a little and see how fine you need to go until the scratches are hard or impossible to see. Also, you might consider buying a hard buff for heavy work and then a lighter, fluffier one for finishing it off.

Derek

• Bill Hummel
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
20 Jul 2004 22:33 #1979 by Bill Hummel
Stainless steel polishing technique? was created by Bill Hummel
I have access to highly skilled and relatively cheap labor during the summer (one of my kids.)

I want to polish the stainless steel lip on all 7 layers of my hood louvers on my Cord 810.

It has been suggested that I tape off the painted portion and then use a Dremel tool and stainless steel polish. What's the best polish?

Any other suggestions?