Skip to main content

Startix engaging the starter, while the engine is running.

• Aris Loumidis
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
20 Jul 2004 11:11 #1975 by Aris Loumidis
Thank you all for your kind input!

Here is what I managed to find out following some work on the car, your advice, and a lot of reading through the Tech notes I have saved, especially one from our 1987 No 4 Newsletter, where a very detailed Technical Service Data for the Startix, by the Eclipse Machine Company was published. .

For my symptoms, either with engine running at low, or any other speed, the problem as you pointed out, is in the generator output, or in the grounding of the Startix. It certainly is not in the battery, which is a new Optima, fully charged.

So far, I have grounded the Startix as best I could, and next chance I have, I plan to take out again the generator and find someone who can work on it?s output at low RPM, based on the settings from the Data Sheet. More testing to follow here, along with trying to adjust the Startix?s jamb screw.

Nevertheless, the solution to run the engine for awhile in the Left position of the Ignition Switch sounds great, however it turns out that I unfortunately cannot do it, as I discovered that I don?t have the original switch (the one with the armoured wire coming out of it, as I have seen it pictured in my diagrams. With my non-original switch, even though it has three terminals and two positions, (one left and one right from centre), if I put the ignition in the left position, the engine shuts off. I think my wiring is correct and as per the diagram in the Data Sheet, so I am not sure I should jump-wire the terminals to make the engine run in both positions; to me the Startix would not be bypassed in this case and I don?t know if I might do more damage than good. . Alternatively, If the original switch does the trick, I should get one, which is a question for Stan, if I could I find a usable one.

Again, thank you all !
Aris

Aris Loumidis
Athens, Greece
ACD Life Member

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
17 Jul 2004 01:23 #1965 by
Not a problem Michael. I posted the note because many Cord owners beleive the car will shift if the key is turned to the left. I spent many hours in my "early Cord years" trying to figure out why my car wouldn't shift when several people had told me it should. I didn't want Aris (or anyone else) chasing their tales like I did. There is enough on a Cord to keep one busy without chasing problem that don't exist.

• MICHAEL S SMITH
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
16 Jul 2004 03:08 #1963 by MICHAEL S SMITH
JIM
THANKS FOR CORRECTING MY MISTAKE, ON MY SC BEVERLY I HAD SIMILAR PROBLEM(PROBABLY BECAUSE OF LOW GENERATOR OUTPUT) AND SWITCHING POSITION LET ENGINE RUN WITHOUT REENGAGEMENT OF STARTER BUT THIS WAS IN STATIONERY POSITION, I DIDN'T KNOW THAT IT WOULD PREVENT SHIFTING. GREAT INFO THANKS.

MICHAEL S SMITH ACD LIFE MEMBER #40
851 auburn phaeton
851 auburn sedan
810 cord westchester
812 cord phaeton(ex Tressler Swiss)
812 cord custom s/c beverly
812 cord s/c cabriolet
812 cord s/c beverly
80 866 speedster (pray factory built)

• Visitor
16 Jul 2004 02:11 #1962 by
Mike is correct the original Cord ignition switch can be turned to the left past the off position and the starter will not try to re-engage, however you can't shift either. In this case it may be an option for you turn the key all the way to the left while you let the car warm up a bit and then rev teh engine to get the generator working, then turn the key back to the right when you're ready to go.

You'll probably find with a little adjustment of the startix it will work fine.

• archiespalace
  • Visitor
15 Jul 2004 15:58 #1953 by archiespalace
Replied by archiespalace on topic Startix problems
Aris..If the Startix cranks normally to start and does NOT disengage,turn the ADJ screw about 1/4 turn CW.If no help,check voltage @ Gen. terminal on top of box(must be at least 1-2 volts to shut down Startix)Make all voltage measurements from screw on unit top.This is ground return for car.Normal cycling for Startix is 1-2 seconds between restarts. For problem isolation(if possible!) try another Startix.Sounds (from California)like a poor generator/wiring/ground problem.Good luck!....ps..does car charge OK? Frank Wilson,Valley Springs,Ca.

• MICHAEL S SMITH
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
13 Jul 2004 18:29 #1946 by MICHAEL S SMITH
ARIS
MANY TIMES THE LOW BATTERY CAUSES THE STARTEX TO ENGAGE, MOST IGNITION SWITCHS HAVE AN ON POSITON BACK ON THE OTHER SIDE OF OFF, IF YOU SWITCH TO THIS AFTER STARTING IT SHOULD STOP ENGAGEMENT, YOU WILL HOWEVER HAVE TO SWITCH BACK TO NORMAL POSITION FOR RESTARTS, IT WORKS THE SAME AS SWITCHING TO THE ON POSITION FROM STARTEX IN AN AUBURN ON THE COLUMN SWITCH AFTER STARTING. SOME PEOPLE PREFER THIS SO AS TO PREVENT INADVERTENT STARTER ENGAGEMENT.

MICHAEL S SMITH ACD LIFE MEMBER #40
851 auburn phaeton
851 auburn sedan
810 cord westchester
812 cord phaeton(ex Tressler Swiss)
812 cord custom s/c beverly
812 cord s/c cabriolet
812 cord s/c beverly
80 866 speedster (pray factory built)

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
13 Jul 2004 17:54 #1944 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic Startix Problems
Aris-

There is an adjustment screw and jamb nut on the side of the Startix. Try to adjust it 1/16 of a turn each way and see if this helps. If your generator is not producing enough current at low speeds this can happen. You may only need to brighten your comutator on the generator armature to help the output. Your generator will excite itself as soon as some current goes through it.

Stan

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Aris Loumidis
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
13 Jul 2004 06:08 #1938 by Aris Loumidis
This problem I have had for a long time. As soon as the engine fires, I get a grinding noise, at regular intervals, which I am sure is the Bendix gear of the starter, thrown against the flywheel.

The problem occurs under the following conditions:
1. When the car has been left sitting for extended periods of time, and the battery
ran low, or was disconnected. .
2. The noise keeps repeating, every 4-5 seconds, which I believe is the waiting time of the Startix, before it engages the starter, when the engine is off.
3. The symptom will keep happening, until I revv-up the engine and the generator kicks-in. Once the generator kicks in, it does not happen again.

From what I have read on the operation of my Startix, I think that because there is no juice coming from the starter, it thinks the engine has stalled, so it activates the starter.

Till now, to overcome this I quickly revv-up the engine, but I hate to do it after the engine has been sitting for a long time. Also besides grinding the teeth of the Bendix and the flywheel, I am afraid it might engage and revv-up the starter, which is what must have happened to me last year, when my starter was tottaly ruined.

I have asked around and was told that my generator ??looses?? it?s magnetism or whatever, so I need to ??excite?? it before starting the car after a long time. . If this is the case, what is the best way of doing this?

Any other suggestions? Again, any help will be appreciated!
Thanks,
Aris

Aris Loumidis
Athens, Greece
ACD Life Member