Skip to main content

Cord prototype?

• Niko Moritz
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
04 Jan 2005 19:10 #2665 by Niko Moritz
Replied by Niko Moritz on topic Cord prototype?
I found the information I was looking for. The problem with searching the old patents (before 1976) is that one needs to either to know the exact patent number, or current US classification of the patent.

The patent number is 2,084,120 by Harold Ames, patented on June 15, 1937. It seems that the two radiators mounted on the first prototype between the hood and the fenders were also used to support the mechanism.

There are (at least) two other patents that describe the original design of Cord automobile: D93,451 and D97,697 by Gordon Buehrig.

I found many more patents related to Auburn and Cord automobiles, including (at least) one by E.L. Cord himself: "Design of an automobile radiator".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Niko Moritz
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
18 Nov 2004 13:47 #2493 by Niko Moritz
Replied by Niko Moritz on topic Re: Frame Numbers

Auburn/Cord Parts wrote: Ric-
A better look at the inboard lamps is illustrated in the patent drawings.

I'm also interested in this subject. Do you happen to know the patent number, so I could search for the patent?

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
08 Jul 2004 18:13 #1927 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic Re: Frame Numbers
Ric-

We found one fender in California that had the inboard headlamp and lid. If you recall the information on the Cord prototypes, especially the one they drove to California and back to Auburn. they had lots of complaints and trouble with the headlamps. The lever to work the headlamps was located in the dash notch opposite the steering column. It was a rather long handle that you flipped sideways. This not only raised the inboard lids but turned the lights on as well. The neat part was the park lamps. the first position only raised the lids about half way and then turned on the lamps. One of the problems occured when you hit a big bump or pothole, the lids could/would drop closed. They also complained they were noisy and hard to open. They wound up proping them open on the trip back from California.

The cable and pulley system to open these inboard lamps is very complicated and would be a problem on a production car. The system they finally used was adopted from a Stinson landing light that cranked down out of the wing. I do have blueprints where Cord engineer Stan Thomas was powering the production headlights with 2 Delco electric motors as usd by NCR on cash registers. A better look at the inboard lamps is illustrated in the patent drawings.

See ya at Auburn?

Stan

Ric Simpson wrote: Stan! I'm curious about the inboard headlights! I didn't think any were known to exist! Would you care to expound on them? I am curious to know about the set-up for winding them "up and down". All the best, Ric.

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Ric Simpson
  • Registered
More
04 Jul 2004 01:54 #1906 by Ric Simpson
Replied by Ric Simpson on topic Re: Frame Numbers
Stan! I'm curious about the inboard headlights! I didn't think any were known to exist! Would you care to expound on them? I am curious to know about the set-up for winding them "up and down". All the best, Ric.

Auburn/Cord Parts wrote: Chip-

If you email me I can send you a diagram that shows where to look for your chassis number. Also, if you send me any numbers you find I can help fill in the blanks. I am quite curious as to what your Cord might be. I maintain a listing of all Cords produced and especially any of the prototype or handbuilt 100. We have one in our shop that has the inboard headlamps.

Cordially,

Stan

Ric Simpson,
2001 Niagara Parkway,
Fort Erie, Ontario,
Canada. L2A 5M4

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
30 Jun 2004 16:32 #1891 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic Frame Numbers
Chip-

If you email me I can send you a diagram that shows where to look for your chassis number. Also, if you send me any numbers you find I can help fill in the blanks. I am quite curious as to what your Cord might be. I maintain a listing of all Cords produced and especially any of the prototype or handbuilt 100. We have one in our shop that has the inboard headlamps.

Cordially,

Stan

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Bill Hummel
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
30 Jun 2004 14:40 #1889 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic Re: Cord prototype?

Chip Hellie wrote: I just purchased a 35/36 Cord 810 Westchester. It has no chassis plate, so I wondered if the serial number was stamped on the chassis anywhere?

I believe there is a serial number stamped into the stub frame in back of the right wheel.

Look closely, a lot of frames have layers of paint that have built up over the years. This makes the serial number hard to find.

I stuck a TV camera on mine and let a Cord expert look at my frame across the Internet. I then learned that my stub-frame had been replaced.

• Chip Hellie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
30 Jun 2004 07:19 #1887 by Chip Hellie
Cord prototype? was created by Chip Hellie
I just purchased a 35/36 Cord 810 Westchester. It has no chassis plate, so I wondered if the serial number was stamped on the chassis anywhere?

The car has never had been fitted with rear fender, forward splash guards.
I noticed pictures of the prototype cars or pre-production cars which seem to have these missing also. Can anyone help me find out what car I found?
Regards,
Chip Hellie