Skip to main content

Right Hand Drive

• John Trittschuh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
11 May 2004 01:21 #1719 by John Trittschuh
Replied by John Trittschuh on topic RHD Cord
This Cord is S/C with VIN # 32487F as a Cabriolet with RHD. It apparently went to England in 1937 when first sold and was fitted with Semafore turn signals and returned to the US after the war sometime. It has working Heater, defroster, radio, Fog lights, apparently all original installations. I cannot get the glove box to open, not sure I have the correct key, and don't want to force it, so may need to get a locksmith to open it. Anyone know if the ignition key fits the glove box or is it a separate key.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Russell Colman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
15 Apr 2004 22:37 #1588 by Russell Colman
Replied by Russell Colman on topic Right Hand Drive
John,

I have a RHD Phaeton (I'm in Oz). I've been tracking many of the RHD cars out of interest. Apart from UK, a number of these appear to have gone to Sth Africa, India and to Oz. Not many soft tops appear to have been exported though.

Can you give me any details re Ser/Eng Nos. etc?

Regs

Russell

• John Trittschuh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
20 Mar 2004 18:04 #1461 by John Trittschuh
Replied by John Trittschuh on topic Right Hand Drive
Hi Jim, thanks so much for the quick reply. It probably is too much to convert it. The owner says it was sold to someone in the UK but the deal fell through so was not shipped to England and so was sold here. Maybe only 3 or 4 of these in the US so is unique.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
20 Mar 2004 16:40 #1457 by
Replied by on topic Right Hand Drive
Hi John,

To answer a couple of you questions:
Yes the car is legal to drive in the US, although it is a little differnt and may take some getting used to (for the passenger in too).

The car can be converted to right hand drive, but it will be a fair amount of work, I've never done this but at first guess this is what it will take ...you need a different steering box and linkage to the center Y, the frame has to be modified for the steering box mount and the brake/clutch shaft, the gas pedal linkage is different and needs to be changed around. The parts book also list several different parts in the exhaust system so I'm guessing there may be some changes there also. The clutch linkage also has to be changed. Looking at this list and starting to think about it you'll probably have to pull the engine and trans, and at least the left front fender and skirt.

For all this work I'd leave it as right hand drive...it's part of the history of the car. Probably if you track down the history it was exported to England or somewhere and brought back to the US years later.

As far as the value goes, that's in the eye of the buyer. Some people won't buy a right hand drive car, and other it doesn't make a difference. But at the same time some people won't buy a car of a certian color or make for whatever reason.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Jim

• John Trittschuh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
20 Mar 2004 12:39 #1456 by John Trittschuh
Right Hand Drive was created by John Trittschuh
I am looking at a right hand drive Cord cabriolet s/c. I thought I saw something in the discussions a while back. Cannot find it. Is this drive legal in the US? How hard is it to convert to regular steering? How much does it detract from value? Why wasn't this car shipped to UK or SA or Aussie land for sale?