Fine body styling

• balinwire
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
01 Jan 2004 16:19 #1174 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic comment on style
As an admirer of old cars, it would be nice to own one of each and every model ever produced, but then again this is impossibility. It is best for an individual to only own as many, as one could properly prepare. <Only my sole sedan as in my case, and I feel very privileged to have the responsibility of stewardship> When you actually own a car many things become readily become apparent. How will you solve the many problems in respect to this new project?

Another thing one realizes it there are many unexpected surprises. They?re really not many 812 cars in today?s observational world. There are no hit records or movies that proclaim the beauty of these vehicles.

Only one who is luckily enough to be in contact with the fabulous ACD preservation club will appreciate the sacrifices and commitments the many members make to preserve these old buggies.

Many who have a memory of the short lived 36-37 Cord only think of the big chrome pipes that were exposed at the hood. Many only think that there was only a four-door sedan. They may not know there was a convertible with a rumble seat with step-ups.

One thing that is not much mentioned is the many pieces that were used to make a Cord body. Consider all the handwork in the bodies to assemble the roofs of the sedans. They were not punched as one piece and one would not have known this detail if it was finished in paint. This is a good reason to see the cars in restoration progress at the local meets. Sometimes it is more interesting to see the assemblers chalk marks than to see yards of chrome.

When I see all the curves in the design they all fit so perfectly as if they were cutting through the air when still. The fastback design of the sedan was reminiscent of the Pierce Arrow and questionably even improved with the additional carrying space of the bustle luggage compartment.

The many fender accents revive some of the details in the 850 Auburn series and the originality of the sedan enclosure make the lines something to behold, and to some, they have pity and they say ?One of the best looking sedans of the thirties?, feeling the four door configuration distracts from the lines. If there is a better-looking four door, I would like to see it!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• balinwire
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
28 Dec 2003 15:01 #1162 by balinwire
Fine body styling was created by balinwire
As we know, the 810-12 series does not have the familiar running boards of that cars and trucks of the thirties had.

I liked the old cars and thought it was not an old car if it did not have the prewar running boards. Fun to ride on, good to strap toolboxes on and something to tie the fenders together, also something to use for a step up and to keep the mud off the body.

Well comes along a brilliant young designer and since the auto he designed needs no step up, as it is so very low, lets do away with the things. Wow, did it work. I never miss them, like something was missing.

Well I have been trying to determine why this design has such a staggering way with the ladies, and that is the most important thing in body design, now isn’t it?

Men liked to stand with foot on the running boards for photos, <Gable, Coop, and Cagney> but women, say for instance, Sonja Henie, directly on the hood!

I still think this is the way it is with the fairer set. They love nice homes and clothing and style a Cord offers fits into that dream lifestyle.

Now only if I could get the darn thing running to take her for a Sunday drive!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.