Cord V-8 discussion

• leslie9958
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Dec 2003 22:53 #1056 by leslie9958
leslie9958 replied the topic: Camshaft
The camshaft would have to be completely different. I am also beginning to suspicion that a lot of engines that are unsupercharged have the supercharged cam in them, at least if the engine were mine that?s what I would do. The firing order of the Fb engine does not allow the engine to have the use of a 180-degree manifold at least not the way I see it.

Edit of the statement about the 180-degree manifold. After playing around for about a whole day I have determined that it is possible but much easier with a FC camshaft.

Why they did this I have no ideas about, as all they had to do was to copy Cadillac 90-degree crankshaft and especially Ford who developed the 180-degree manifold. The third big development of V-8 engines after Levavasseur and Cadillac. M.L. Anderson :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leslie9958
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Dec 2003 14:58 #1061 by leslie9958
leslie9958 replied the topic: Sketchs.
Josh: I am thru with the V-8 FB engine except for the making sure if the FB uses a 180 degree style intake manifold which is a different sketch altogether. I can send the first sketch to you as an attachment but I can't send it to any other way at the present. Can you tell me how this can be done as the attachment part is easy but can you post it somehow? Yours, M.L. Anderson

• balinwire
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
03 Dec 2003 12:22 #1069 by balinwire
balinwire replied the topic: cast iron
The mention of 180% was not the angle of the intake but that the FB engine was originally intended for a rear wheel drive car.
There are many more interesting things about this engine. Do you know of any engines that used an aluminum thermostat housing that worked like a diverter valve switching coolant flow between the wet intake and the block?
Could the compression ratio have been improved as you stated with a more optimum bore to stroke ratio? What is the formula for determining this?
Would there be a benefit to polishing the chambers of the head to improve flow in cast aluminum?

• Josh Malks
  • Josh Malks's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Past President
More
03 Dec 2003 15:42 #1070 by Josh Malks
Josh Malks replied the topic: 180 degree manifold
The reference to 180 degrees was to the internal design of the manifold, rather than to its orientation on the engine or in the car.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Dec 2003 21:57 #1071 by
replied the topic:
Could someone please explain an 180 degree intake manifold. I don't understand what the 180 degree refers to regarding an intake manifold.

Thanks.

• Josh Malks
  • Josh Malks's Avatar Topic Author
More
03 Dec 2003 23:24 #1072 by Josh Malks
Josh Malks replied the topic:
Jim (and everybody): I'm working with M.L. Anderson on diagrams showing the Cord FB firing order and manifold layout. Should be online soon.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds