Cord V-8 discussion

• Josh Malks
  • Josh Malks's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Past President
More
30 Nov 2003 17:15 #1041 by Josh Malks
Josh Malks created the topic: Cord V-8 discussion
There's an interesting discussion of the Lycoming/Cord V-8 on a site called the "Atlas F1 Bulletin Board". It's devoted to technical aspects of motor racing and racing history, especially Formula 1.

A "thread" on V-8s led to the aforementioned Cord discussion. These guys appear to be mostly engineering types, and their responses are fun to read. Note how they work their way to mostly correct conclusions just by looking at drawings. I'm gonna chime in soon too.

See it at
http://forums.atlasf1.com/showthread.ph ... genumber=5

It's somewhere down the page. NOTE: You'll have to make sure that the above URL is all on one line with no spaces for it to work.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leslie9958
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Nov 2003 19:51 #1042 by leslie9958
leslie9958 replied the topic: Firing order cord FB(?)
In view of the Cord / Lycoming engine of the FA /FB series was only used apparently for only one year I am very interested in the direction that the Cord engine rotates! As I make diagrams of various engines from V-6s, V-8s, V-10s to V-12s engines, accuracy is of vital importance as there is enough bad information on the Internet and I do not wish to add to that type of information.
Firstly we must define the orientation, which in my case is the seated drivers view, his left and right and looking forward using a Clockwise and Counter-Clockwise direction.
If anyone is in possession of this type of information I would appreciate the sharing/knowing of it.
If you wish to see one of the sketches I have made in the past you may go to:

http://home.earthlink.net/~leslie9958/_ ... RESENT.JPG

If you wish to study the V-8 engine there are some 150 posts on this subject at:

atlasf1.com

The Technical Forum > V-8 90 DEGREE CRANK

Yours; M.L. Anderson :D

• Josh Malks
More
30 Nov 2003 20:16 #1043 by Josh Malks
Josh Malks replied the topic:
Hi, M.L.

Glad to see that you've found the ACD Club's website. Here is some info:

1. From the orientation you describe, that of the driver, the Cord V-8 turns clockwise.

2. Regarding firing order, the factory's cylinder numbers are based on #1 being at the front of the car. In this case, the bell housing end of the engine. L and R, as used in a firing order, are based on the driver's orientation.

Hope this is helpful.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

• leslie9958
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Nov 2003 22:37 #1044 by leslie9958
leslie9958 replied the topic: More questions on the Cord timing.
As unbelievable as it may sound I made the sketch correctly in respect to the cylinder numbering and therefore I do not have to redraw that part of it. Now the only part is how are the engines timed in respect to the flywheel or pulley marks and are there timing numbers on the distributor cap. Is number one cylinder left used as the master timing cylinder as the information in Motor Manual seems to imply it is #4 right. See write up post by McGuire on this information at Atlas F1 # 196 (Upper right corner of his post) same thread as V-8 90 degree. M.L. Anderson :)

• Josh Malks
More
30 Nov 2003 22:53 #1045 by Josh Malks
Josh Malks replied the topic:
"Master" timing cylinder is none of the above; it's actually #4 left. On the Cord, that's the cylinder on the driver's-side bank that's closest to the firewall. There is a mark on the flywheel, visible through a hole in the bell housing, that indicates TDC on 4L. (The hole has a pointer built into it for increased accuracy.) Each flywheel tooth is close to 2.5 degrees of rotation, so cylinder 4L should fire two teeth, or 5 degrees, before TDC.

We'd love to see your work when you're done.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

• balinwire
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
01 Dec 2003 16:31 #1049 by balinwire
balinwire replied the topic: timing marks
Interestingly the 810 unsupercharged engine fires one bank and then the other. The supercharged engines changed the firing order. Does the supercharged engine firing still use #4 L for the timing mark?

If the engine was installed 180% rotated as intended by the designers would the timing cylinder be #1 R?

Has the reverse sump been noticed in the diagrams?

Is the way an engine fire its cylinders affect the power ratio? Does this set up different crank stresses? If the firing order were changed would a different cam need to be cut?

I was told the reason inline engines were made into the V style configuration was to shorten crank stresses, as a 12cyl inline would be of great length. It would need a very long hood!

This is a link I found at the 90% thread that might be interesting http://www.geocities.com/vintagemanuals/

a format like this would be nice for the club newsletter archives also

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds