Skip to main content

Engine Stopping, dead

More
27 May 2007 03:36 #7096 by hportz
Replied by hportz on topic Engine Stopping, dead
Randy, I got a 6v coil for an 8 cyl. Buick (here ) for a friend, Audi Kneisner, in Germany for his 812 Cord phaeton. He is an electrical engineer . He specified an eight cyl. as apposed to a VW 4 or for a 6 cyl. because those don't work well at high RPM (he has access to test equipment ). The one I sent him apparently worked OK . I can't answer your question exactly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Randy in Portland
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
26 May 2007 16:30 #7093 by Randy in Portland
Replied by Randy in Portland on topic Engine Stopping, dead
Thanks for the tip, but I need a clarification. Did you say I can get any Six volt coil that is for an Eight cylinder car? Thank you.

First Round, First Minute....Muhammad Ali

More
26 May 2007 04:20 #7091 by hportz
Replied by hportz on topic Engine Stopping, dead
Randy, With the simptoms you describe I believe you are correct to suspect the coil first . Go to NAPA and get a 6v COIL FOR AN EIGHT CILINDER CAR [ NOT ANY 6v COIL] (older Buick , etc ). Tape this to the right firewall to radiator brace ; temporarily hook it up. Try it out . I believe the trouble will be gone. I have seen this happen many times over the years.

• Randy in Portland
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
26 May 2007 02:30 #7090 by Randy in Portland
Engine Stopping, dead was created by Randy in Portland
Ladies and gentlemen or anyone else,

My recently acquired and beautiful Westchester has issues. First, let me say at my age, I have issues also, but the car starts right up and runs quite quietly....then and abruptly, she shuts down. After it gets some heat built up. The shut down happens so suddenly that I believe it is electrical. I am going to pour myself three fingers of Lagavulin 16 and call it a night. If anyone might have experienced a coil failing or any have any other ideas, I would be grateful.

I don't mean to waste bandwidth and I will pursue the issue thoroughly with a mechanic but I thought I would post the issue, here, at this forum. Thank you for reading.

Randy in Portland

First Round, First Minute....Muhammad Ali