Skip to main content

Brake lights

• pilotc90a
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
15 May 2007 18:37 #7017 by pilotc90a
Replied by pilotc90a on topic Brake Lights
Thanks Jim,

Your response actually helps a lot. I was looking at the wrong switch. I do remember the two posts, and Ill check it this week. Do you have any helpful suggestions on where to find bulbs, or the brake light switch? Is it a common type switch, or something I have to scour a car show for?

Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
11 May 2007 01:22 #7000 by
Replied by on topic Brake lights
I think you may be on the wrong switch. The brake switch is located on the rear of the master cylinder. The brake switch looks like a small cylinder that is screwed into the master cylinder. There should be two posts on it, one is slightly longer then the first. There is a screw on the end of each post that holds the wires in place (one wire on each post). One wire should be red and the other black.

The red wire should have 6 volts on it (I don't remember if the ignition switch has to be on). The black wire should not have any voltage on it.

When you step on the brake you should get 6 volts on the black wire. If you do the brake light switch is good, if not replace the brake light switch.

Remember your tail lights are two filiment bulbs. The one filiment works with the heal lights. This is a dimmer light. The second filiment is brighter and works with the brake switch. So it is possible that one filiment is burned out but the other is working. It's not uncommon to have both brake lights burned out and the tail lights working.

Also the bulbs can be inserted backwards so the tail lights are bright and the brake lights are dim. Sometimes the lights are so dim you can not see them in the daylight, so pull the tail light lens out and double check.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Jim

• pilotc90a
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
10 May 2007 22:06 #6995 by pilotc90a
Replied by pilotc90a on topic Brake lights
Ok, Found the switch. It looks to be connected via linkage. Do you think it is the switch itself or the contacts. If it is the switch, where can I locate parts like this?

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
01 May 2007 23:23 #6960 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic brake light
The switch is located on the back end of the master cylinder.

Tom Georgeson

• pilotc90a
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
01 May 2007 22:52 #6959 by pilotc90a
Brake lights was created by pilotc90a
My Brake lights don't work. The bulb is good, comes on with the headlights. I was told to look for a switch located on the brake pedal. Can't find one. Does anyone have a picture, better idea, or possible solution?