Skip to main content

Cord Transmission

More
02 May 2007 02:54 #6962 by hportz
Replied by hportz on topic trans
Tom is essentially correct. However some terms need definition. When you say the clutch is out , do you mean the pedal is out away from the floor or that the clutch is disengaged ( pedal pushed in) ? If it is the latter ,then it is probably the through out bearing. If the clutch pedal is out from the floor, then it is likely the reverse idler gear & the low /reverse cluster gear noise or bearings. That requires farther investigation.
Before you pull the cover off; have someone shift the trans into low & third gears while you have your ear on top the trans cover just above the medallion & listen to hear if the shift lever is hitting the cover . If not then follow through with what Tom told you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
01 May 2007 23:37 #6961 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic Transmission
1. You shouldn't leave the engine running with the clutch out. It is very hard on the transmission as it's oil pump isn't running and will cause wear on the gears and their bearings. If you have to have the engine running block the clutch pedal down. Most long time Cord drivers have a stick they place between the clutch pedal and the bottom of the dashboard.

2. As to not getting into gears. Take the cover off the transmission ( the cover is in the middle between the fenders) and make sure that the shift lever isn't hitting the bottom of the cover. Also that the shift lever is tight on it's shaft. After that you need to get information on how the system works. Actually, you should understand it if you want to drive a Cord.

Good luck,

Tom Georegson

• pilotc90a
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
01 May 2007 22:38 #6958 by pilotc90a
Cord Transmission was created by pilotc90a
I have inherited my car from my grandfather, it was his pride and joy. One thing, he never got the transmission right. There are two problems that I can tell. 1. the clutch throw out bearing is going, there is a growling noise from the front of the car with the clutch out. I have been told to leave a repair like this to someone who really, really knows about the cord transmission. (I don't) Is there someone in my area (MN) that you would recommend, and is it really that hard?
2. It really doesn't like going into first or third gear. I was told by a friend that is was most likely the transmission relays (or solenoids I think he said). If this is in fact the case, where can I get parts, and what should I ask for?

I love the car and love driving it, and I want to fix it so I drive it more.

Chris