Skip to main content

Our 812 Westchester/Day 2/The shift

• Randy in Portland
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
15 Apr 2007 23:43 #6871 by Randy in Portland
Replied by Randy in Portland on topic Our 812 Westchester/Day 2/The shift
Thanks to the advice on this board, I yanked the thing back into neutral and voila! All switching appears to be functional. I dont know why it did what it did, so I will leave the bumper and cover off for awhile. I am happy.

First Round, First Minute....Muhammad Ali

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kevin
  • Visitor
15 Apr 2007 18:29 #6870 by Kevin
Replied by Kevin on topic Our 812 Westchester/Day 2/The shift
Hi Randy,

Now that you have the transmission cover off, manually move the shifting arm either forward or backwards to shift out of gear and into the neutral gate. Then make sure it moves from side to side throughout the neutral range. If it appears to be stiff, you may want to oil up the cross shaft.

When I rebuilt the cross shift assembly, we ground the shaft and machined new bushings that fit the undersized shaft, I installed modern seals, everything was smooth, but a little oil or fine grease might help.

Now with the transmission in neutral, start the engine and with the clutch depressed, move the selector switch on the column back and forth in the neutral slot, and have your wife, or an understanding neighbor, observe if it moves from side to side, in conjunction with the selector. If it does, that means you have proper vacuum to move the cross shift.

Now try to move the selector into 1st or reverse, if it moves then your vacuum to the main shift cylinder is working.

If none of the above work....call me on my cell and I will try to walk you through the next step...

Kevin 801-856-6575

• Randy in Portland
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
15 Apr 2007 16:15 #6869 by Randy in Portland
Replied by Randy in Portland on topic Our 812 Westchester/Day 2/The shift
Thank you, Josh. I will research that.

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
15 Apr 2007 15:50 #6867 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Our 812 Westchester/Day 2/The shift
Randy, do you have the Cord Service Bulletin collection? (Repros appear regularly on eBay, but a better source to be sure it's complete is the ACD Museum.) There is a 3-4 page addendum specifically on troubleshooting the gearshift.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• Randy in Portland
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
15 Apr 2007 15:19 #6866 by Randy in Portland
Replied by Randy in Portland on topic My first efforts continue with the shifting thing.
Well, I bypassed the clutch switch and it did nothing. I now have the tranny cover off and am looking for obvious electrical faults. May I trouble someone to post a few logical steps that I should be taking if and when I see no abvious items? Thank you.

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
14 Apr 2007 14:51 #6860 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Our 812 Westchester/Day 2/The shift
Thanks for the plug, Pat. Just a typo in the URL. Correct one is:

www.automaven.com/Technical/_Gea ... iring.html

(Needs little "underscores" before the words "gearshift".)

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• Pat Leahy
  • Registered
More
14 Apr 2007 01:17 #6854 by Pat Leahy
Replied by Pat Leahy on topic Cord Shifting
Here's a link to Josh's website with a wiring diagram:

www.automaven.com/Technical/_Gea ... wiring.htm

Pat Leahy

• Pat Leahy
  • Registered
More
14 Apr 2007 01:14 #6853 by Pat Leahy
Replied by Pat Leahy on topic Stuck in Gear
Well if you are in one gear, and cannot shift to any other gear, the main power function (red wire) circuit is probably not complete. I would check to make sure the clutch switch is connected. I once was in Vermont with Al and Pat Hatch in the back seat of my CORD and was stuck in 4th gear. The worse part is we stopped at a light and then had to go up a steep hill. Well the clutch got a little hot and smokey, but we made the hill. After stopping at a mansion and allowing an hour to self heal, no gear change or starting. Quick inspection, we found the linkage apart on the switch. New cotter pin and off we went. It can be a number of things, so a wiring diagram will help. The best thing is to own a club 810-812 transmission booklet (available from Barb Pietracatella). Good luck..

Pat Leahy

• Randy in Portland
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
13 Apr 2007 23:38 #6852 by Randy in Portland
Our 812 Westchester/Day 2/The shift was created by Randy in Portland
I certainly don't want to waste anyone's time or bandwidth on this forum, but with all due respect:

Got this beauty, yesterday. Tonight, I took my bride of so many wonderful years for her maiden ride around the neighborhood. Up and down the gears we go. What a machine. We get home and I wish to back into the garage. I stopped and put the shifter into its reverse position (As I did successfully, yesterday). The car is suddenly and involuntarily in 3rd or 4th gear and no position of the switch changes anything. Does this describe any condition that you might know of? Thank you for any input.

PS: I am not discouraged, but at only putting 2 miles on it, I hope the ching-ching has not come knocking, yet.