Skip to main content

"Richardson" Conversion

• Ric Simpson
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
02 Apr 2007 20:13 #6745 by Ric Simpson
Replied by Ric Simpson on topic "Richardson" Conversion
Hi! Thanks for the info! I wasn't being smart assed, I like the looks of the installation, and not having seen the conversion, was very interested. I wondered about the bolts. If the nuts came off when positioned the other way, I don't think the car would get much beyond the next bump, so I guess it doesn't really matter. I have had a lower king pin fall out! I had been attempting to go 100mph on the way home from school (2:00AM) each Thursday night. Finally did it! The following Sunday, I bumped over a multiple railway track level crossing. Pin fell out, wheel fell off, car stopped very quickly clear of the tracks. It gave me a lot to think about! A properly peaned lock washer might have left me thinking it was OK to travel 100mph.Thanks, Ric.

Ric Simpson,
2001 Niagara Parkway,
Fort Erie, Ontario,
Canada. L2A 5M4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
02 Apr 2007 05:35 #6736 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic "Richardson" Conversion
The blue plastic boot is for the Richardson outer joints. Those are not housings for the inner joint. That is the joint itself --- the whole thing turns. The inner joints are from a GMC FWD truck, also part of the Richardson conversion. Neither, so long as the boots remain intact, ever needs lubrication.

You can see that the expansion chamber that originally sat atop the upper kingpin has been replaced by a grease fitting to lube the upper kingpin bearing. This is correct for the Richardson joints.

Ric is correct that the "French lock washer" for the bottom kingpin has not been peened over. Also, the brake hose is supposed to run [i:8za0o1yx]under[/i:8za0o1yx] the steering arm, and be held to it with a fat rubber band. A steel clamp under one of the bolts holds the rubber band in place. The nuts are usually at the bottom, but I don't know that this makes much difference.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• Bill Hummel
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
02 Apr 2007 04:18 #6735 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic "Richardson" Conversion

Ric Simpson wrote: Hi! I am curious about the front drive shaft, left side. The seal is unlike any I have seen?

Is this the picture you are referring to?

• Ric Simpson
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
02 Apr 2007 01:31 #6733 by Ric Simpson
"Richardson" Conversion was created by Ric Simpson
Hi! I am curious about the front drive shaft, left side. The seal is unlike any I have seen? The inner u-joint housing seems different too? Are these part of the Richardson conversion? My pic cut itself short on my printer, but I believe the bottom king pin locking washer had not been peaned into a locking position. Are the bolts that hold the stearing arm to the spindle body upside down? I think someone has done some work up here! Ric.

Ric Simpson,
2001 Niagara Parkway,
Fort Erie, Ontario,
Canada. L2A 5M4