Drive unit serial number's

• balinwire
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
29 Jul 2003 00:35 #558 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic Engineering notes
Stan, you are truly the master. You were right, I could just barely detect the numbers, as they were very lightly stamped in the cast case, <R47.10> just above the deeply embossed Drive number?s T2592.

I presume the body must have been well along in the 812 assembly process to have the high serial # drive case and having the 47.10 gearing in a 37.

This would say to me that some of the old 810 car?s were released as 812 even as later then the 1500#?s. The body number is 812 1752A with original underhood components.

The car was mentioned in the 1936 shop fliers as a car that had a interlock installed 7/36.

So happy for the help. It would be nice if you could compile all of your many years of knowledge into some kind of a huge reference database.

Your the man, Stan, many thanks again. My next question may stump ya?.

acd cars rule! :^)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
28 Jul 2003 15:49 #549 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic Re: Drive Unit Serial Numbers
On Cord transmissions with the 47:10 ratio the ratio number is stamped above the serial number. If no ratio number is found, it should be the 43:10 ratio. The prototype or test mules used the #'s 1-6. Production units started at 100. You should read the Cord Engineering Notes, they're interesting.

Stan

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Pat Leahy
  • Registered
More
24 Jul 2003 12:19 #526 by Pat Leahy
Replied by Pat Leahy on topic Cord transmissions
The best information I have found is in the club's 810'-812 transmission manual. Page #5 describes the different series and running changes.Every Cord owner must own one of these manuals. If you do not have one, there available from the membership secretary.

Pat Leahy

• balinwire
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
24 Jul 2003 01:10 #522 by balinwire
Drive unit serial number's was created by balinwire
The body and engine numbers are very accurately accounted for in most databases. Is there any record of drive unit numbering? I would like to determine my gear ratio with the #?s. I see no representations or references in any source.

My job is listed as being in the factory getting a shift interlock in 1936 and has all 1936 features but is numbered in the 1700?s and the 1936 renumbered cars stopped at the 1500?s. So would I have the high,"early" tall gearing?

Would they have removed the entire drive case or modified the earlier case. Would they have used different or the same number?s on a new case? Everything else, fuel pump location, steering wheel, motor#'s indicates an 810 but with 812 improvments, front bolt saftey hangers, etc.

What significance do the drive unit #?s have? I have seen the first few cars built as being mentioned as having a #1 or #2 or #3 unit.
Did the drive unit numbering start a #1?