Skip to main content

Numbers and history on my car ???

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
24 Mar 2007 22:21 #6671 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Numbers and history on my car ???
Hi Dan.

The other numbers are consistent, but the body number seems very high. Going by the serial number this car would have been the 48th production Cord built, probably in February 1936. The body number indicates a body made in about April. That doesn't mean it's wrong. For whatever reason --- minor damage perhaps --- this frame may have stood against a wall for a couple of months until it was repaired and put into a car. The serial number was then created, and the number plates stamped, by adding 1000 to the frame number.

If you can, check the frame number. If the serial number is correct the frame number should be 148.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mopar4ya
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
24 Mar 2007 21:18 #6670 by mopar4ya
Replied by mopar4ya on topic Numbers and history on my car ???
The Central Manufacturing Company number is C90 1105. What all can you tell by this number?

As for having a later transmission, I know this car was used to save a convertible. The convertible is sitting in a museum about an hour from me. I have never seen the car, but plan to very soon. I will bet the transmission in my car came out of it. Any way to tell for sure? And can I tell if the transmission in vert came out of my car?

Anyone ever here of a Mr George Shaw of western PA. He owned both of these cars at one time. He donated the convertible to the museum several years ago, and I bought the Westchester this last fall from his estate.

Thanks for the replies!!
Dan

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
24 Mar 2007 15:53 #6667 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Numbers and history on my car ???
Pat knows, of course, but just to clarify for newbies: the change in gear ratio was only in the ring and pinion gears, from 4.3-1 to 4.7-1.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• Pat Leahy
  • Away
  • Registered
More
24 Mar 2007 13:14 #6666 by Pat Leahy
Replied by Pat Leahy on topic Numbers and history on my car ???
To the best of my knowledge, this appears to be an early car and engine, but a late transmission by serial number and ratio. I'm working a couple of late transmission around that serial number. Many call these S/C transmissions since the higher ratio gears were first used in these cars and later in all late cars.

Pat Leahy

• mopar4ya
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
24 Mar 2007 00:27 #6661 by mopar4ya
Numbers and history on my car ??? was created by mopar4ya
I would like to know if anyone might have any history on this car. I know it has been sitting in western PA since the 60's. Also what can you tell me about the numbers I have found.

On the body tag
Model 810
Serial# 1148a
Engine# FB264

This number is stamped on the block FB264, so I believe this is the correct engine still in place.

I found these numbers on the transmission
R47-10
T3449

Is this the correct transmission for this car?

Thanks!
Dan