Skip to main content

Oil Pump Drive Shaft ?

• mopar4ya
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
24 Mar 2007 00:03 #6660 by mopar4ya
Replied by mopar4ya on topic Oil Pump Drive Shaft ?
Thanks for the help! I was not looking for something that small. Had to scrape away 70 years of grease to find it.

Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Pat Leahy
  • Registered
More
23 Mar 2007 12:03 #6652 by Pat Leahy
Replied by Pat Leahy on topic Oil Pump shaft/gear
To remove the oil pump drive gear assembly(driven off camshaft), it only comes out the top of the engine. To remove it you have to remove a dog point set screw that is in the the block just below the camshaft seal and retainer. This screw (slotted) can be very hard to removed. I normally have to heat up the area witha torch and use plenty of penetrating oil. I have seen a couple so bad I had to drill them out. Once this screw it removed, turn the block upside down and use a brass pin to drive the shaft and housing out, It will need to unscrew itself as it comes out. The shaft and gear is usually OK to reuse as long as it turns freely, and does not have to much play. The roll pin you are describing is used to engage the upper connecting shaft to the distributor. You will note that this pin is installed off center, so the upper shaft can engage only one way (much like the time gear hub and flywheel). This upper shaft has a flat screw installed down in the barrel, and this allows the aligning with distributor for re-timing.

Pat Leahy

• E L
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
23 Mar 2007 02:11 #6647 by E L
Replied by E L on topic Oil Pump Drive Shaft ?
The distributor is in the FRONT. There is no rear retainer. The set screw is next to the retainer and is FLUSH to the block on early cars and a hex head on later ones. The drive shaft rides in bronze bearings.Call if I can help . Days 248 557 3850

• mopar4ya
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
23 Mar 2007 01:07 #6645 by mopar4ya
Replied by mopar4ya on topic Oil Pump Drive Shaft ?
I have not removed the rear retainer yet. So what you are saying is I will find a set screw under there? What kind of bearing is on this shaft?

Thanks for the quick reply!!
Dan

• E L
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
23 Mar 2007 00:28 #6644 by E L
Replied by E L on topic Oil Pump Drive Shaft ?
On early blocks there is a slotted set screw on the outside of the block near the seal retainer. After removing it the entire shaft and bearing assembly will come out through the top by pushing from the bottom assuming the pump has already been removed. Cam shaft can only come out from one end.

• mopar4ya
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
23 Mar 2007 00:00 #6643 by mopar4ya
Oil Pump Drive Shaft ? was created by mopar4ya
I have my engine about stripped down. I still have the cam and oil pump drive shaft in the block. I am trying to figure out how the drive shaft comes apart so it can be removed. The only thing I see is what looks like a 1/8 pin sticking slightly out of one side of the shaft, above the gear driven by the cam. Also, can the cam be removed at either end of the block, or does the cam gear retainer that is pressed on the cam need to be removed and the cam pulled out the front of the block? And yes, I know there is the cam retainer that has to be unbolted.

Thanks!
Dan